Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:22 AM

261 posts, read 221,594 times

Advertisements

To the members who have responded to my previous topics - I thank you for your time

I am potentially moving to Houston (or the subs) from Europe.
At the moment, I am struggling to see how I can adjust and adapt to the lifestyle/culture. The biggest problem I have at the moment is my dietary requirements.

I am a vegetarian - I also don't eat or drink anything that is gelatine and no alcohol either.
In Europe (I guess where you go perhaps), we are spoiled in that we have choice about convenience stores. We can walk up to one and buy what we need and off we go. We also have things delivered too.

In Houston/Texas - not so much.

Of course, whatever foods we have in Europe, is not necessarily available over here.
It also does not help that I don't cook much but instead rely upon frozen meals (i.e the Quorn brand of products). I do cook but just... not as much and quite frankly, I don't know what to cook nor have the time hence the reliance upon pre-prepared meals. I need to snap out of that.

I guess the question is, and this is where expats would be really helpful, for someone in my position - what should I do?
What would you suggest for someone like me do in terms of the food situation?

The scary thing is that I have spent a lot of money trying to invest and open my business here - it now has become a reality and I am getting cold feet. It's scary. It's just... very scary.
I love America - but not stayed long enough on any trip I take over here to really get to experience every day life and the "survival"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 10:31 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
It's actually easy to get food here like you describe. Whole Foods, Central Market, Fresh Market, farmers markets, pick your own farms, and ordering through Amazon.

Quorn on Amazon....Amazon.com: Quorn Foods Meat Free Beef Grounds, 12 Ounce -- 12 per case.: Industrial & Scientific

My tiny grocery store in Houston has a complete section for vegetarians and jewish families. ( no gelatin products easily labeled)

Old 04-12-2015, 10:35 AM

thank you!. That's interesting to be able to order quorn products from amazon but wow, that looks expensive. One I'm used to having is the chicken tikka masala from quorn. quite nice actually.

oh I wish I had a cook to cook for me should I get over here

Old 04-12-2015, 10:46 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Don't worry about food - you will be fine. If you have free time perhaps take a short cooking class on quick and healthy meals to help you out.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:47 AM

amys is a vegetarian precooked frozen meal that is easily available.
Amy's Kitchen : Natural and Organic Foods

Snap kitchens plant powered foods are vegetarian and gelatin free. It's a meal pick up place and very fresh.
http://blog.snapkitchen.com

Old 04-12-2015, 10:53 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quorn products are sold at Whole Foods. There's a Whole Foods every couple miles within the city.

My Fit Foods will premake Veggie Meals too. There's a My FIT Foods every couple miles in the city.

As suggest Snap. There's several Snap locations in the city.

Houston is a very easy city to be Vegetarian/Vegan/Clean Eating.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:01 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
To the members who have responded to my previous topics - I thank you for your time

I am potentially moving to Houston (or the subs) from Europe.
At the moment, I am struggling to see how I can adjust and adapt to the lifestyle/culture. The biggest problem I have at the moment is my dietary requirements.

I am a vegetarian - I also don't eat or drink anything that is gelatine and no alcohol either.
In Europe (I guess where you go perhaps), we are spoiled in that we have choice about convenience stores. We can walk up to one and buy what we need and off we go. We also have things delivered too.

In Houston/Texas - not so much.

Of course, whatever foods we have in Europe, is not necessarily available over here.
It also does not help that I don't cook much but instead rely upon frozen meals (i.e the Quorn brand of products). I do cook but just... not as much and quite frankly, I don't know what to cook nor have the time hence the reliance upon pre-prepared meals. I need to snap out of that.

I guess the question is, and this is where expats would be really helpful, for someone in my position - what should I do?
What would you suggest for someone like me do in terms of the food situation?

The scary thing is that I have spent a lot of money trying to invest and open my business here - it now has become a reality and I am getting cold feet. It's scary. It's just... very scary.
I love America - but not stayed long enough on any trip I take over here to really get to experience every day life and the "survival"
Where is Europe are you from? I personally found it much easier to go vegetarian in any of the US cities (even Houston) than in Europe, with the exception of London and cities in Italy.
Any of our supermarkets have vegetarian entrees in their frozen food section. Whole Foods will have a lot but even regular ones like HEB will have some.

If you want to have groceries delivered to you check out this service: http://www.plated.com
They're not strictly vegetarian but they always have a couple of good vegetarian/vegan options every week.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:17 AM

We have vegetarian and vegan restaurants all over central Houston.The Rest of the Best: Houston's Top 10 Vegan Restaurants | Houston Press

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...ton%2C+TX&ns=1

Old 04-12-2015, 11:37 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
Funny, I've spent time in Europe, I have never thought "spoiled" ....funny.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:18 PM

oh really?
I am from the UK. again, I don't know where I will be residing exactly but just poking around and trying to figure it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston