Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRat44 View Post
The home below is in the above-mentioned Pineview Place. It's less than a mile for the eventual last station of the Green Line. What would this sell for on the Westside? Original windows, fireplace and built-ins? Point being if you think there are no good deals on historic homes east of Downtown then you're not looking very hard.

118 Pineview Dr, Houston, TX 77012 is For Sale | Zillow
Consider that "good deal" is also less than half a mile from the port and one mile from the Valero refinery, downwind most of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:19 PM

53 posts, read 80,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Consider that "good deal" is also less than half a mile from the port and one mile from the Valero refinery, downwind most of the year.
1 mile, 10 miles...you think there's a difference?

Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
There are some beautiful older homes in Eastwood and the east side.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:41 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
But nobody has a problem (news media) with the farm lands that are disappearing, such as the Katy prairie

Old 06-12-2015, 12:11 AM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
There are some beautiful older homes in Eastwood and the east side.
The Eastwood Civic Association has a home tour every October. Visitors who aren't familiar with Eastwood area neighborhoods are pleasantly surprised when they see the nice renovation work and talk to homeowners on the tour.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:38 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Also, Eastwood has low crime for its economic status and very convenient to downtown. It may not be the pretty side yet but I'm surprised it has taken this long to start garnering attention now.
Purely selfish reasons for this, but I'm fine if it doesn't get that attention. I live on the other side of Harrisburg from that neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Your compass needs some recalibrating. Unless Valero moved from its spot across from Lyondell, then you really mean crosswind at best. I get no whiff of the Ship Channel in my neck of the woods.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 10,184 times
I own a house built in the 1940s and know what, never had any problems with any issues in the house. My neighbors, who bought some of those ugly milk carton townhomes constantly complain of shoddy window weather stripping, unstable decks and flooding issues when it rains.

Quality is in the eye of the beholder but I actively looked for an older house because it's stood the test of time. What it took me to renovate it is chump change compared to buying a new build. The house is actually built with cedar planks, so thick that when I had my house raised, it was impossible to cut through them because they were so strong and will withstand another 100 years.

I think quality is something that can be achieved in newer builds but know, for a fact from seeing all the construction around me, that quality goes to the wayside when money is involved. Truly, you're better off building your own house with your own hands and being involved in getting quality material and workmanship.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:50 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
You would think Katrina hit the way they have those homes boarded up.....the problem is your displacing people elsewhere and little things like that can disrupt an area

all they will do is build more homes for yuppies who have no interest in doing nothing for the area....what scares me is if something major happens and whats not to stop those same townhomes from turning over to section 8 in the future?

Old 06-17-2015, 05:39 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_light View Post
I own a house built in the 1940s and know what, never had any problems with any issues in the house. My neighbors, who bought some of those ugly milk carton townhomes constantly complain of shoddy window weather stripping, unstable decks and flooding issues when it rains.

Quality is in the eye of the beholder but I actively looked for an older house because it's stood the test of time. What it took me to renovate it is chump change compared to buying a new build. The house is actually built with cedar planks, so thick that when I had my house raised, it was impossible to cut through them because they were so strong and will withstand another 100 years.

I think quality is something that can be achieved in newer builds but know, for a fact from seeing all the construction around me, that quality goes to the wayside when money is involved. Truly, you're better off building your own house with your own hands and being involved in getting quality material and workmanship.
@red_light, I agree with you about the construction quality of pre-WWII houses. Mine was built in 1935 and is in a neighborhood where the demand for old houses far exceeds the number for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston