Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 01:53 PM

104 posts, read 143,718 times

Advertisements

best private school for Austic (high functioning)children in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 02:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
It depends a lot on what your child is able to do and what you can pay. For my money, the Monarch School is best, but it is very expensive and if you don't live out near it, the driving time can be a problem. How old is your child? Has he had any services from early intervention?

Home | Monarch School

There are some others that are good, less expensive and in other locations.

The Parish School specializes in kids with speech delays
Advancing Language. Empowering Learners. | The Parish School

The Joy School works with kids with dyslexia as well as with ASD kids
The Joy School

The Westview School is for autistics who are high functioning and the goal is to prepare them to mainstream to public school eventually. They are not good with behavior challenges, though, imo. We had some friend's children who were pushed out of this school due to challenging behaviors.
Westview School | The school for high-functioning children with autism spectrum disorder | Houston, TX 77043

Old 06-05-2015, 02:19 PM

You can also try Creative Mind Academy in the Clear Lake area - they are accepting 2nd thru 8th grade students. I know the owner and she is a wonderful lady who taught special ed for many years. They are faith based and use the ABEKA curriculum. New location as of 2015
938 El Dorado Blvd, Houston, TX 77062

Creative Mind Academy

Old 12-10-2015, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 991 times
My 8yo, high-functioning, ASD kiddo attended Westview when first diagnosed about 5 years ago and is now attending Parish. She has had behavioral issues last semester and this semester. They (and we) have tried all sorts of tactics but it doesn't really seem to be working and I think we're going to be notified next week that it's no longer a good fit.

Are there schools in Houston for ASD kids with behavioral issues? So many of them will not tolerate the more problematic behaviors. We've been told Monarch and Harris, but I'm afraid they may be out of our price range. A psychologist just mentioned The Journey School (formerly New School of the Heights) and Launch in Pearland. Does anyone know about either of those? Any others? Thank you!!

Old 12-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLTX Mom View Post
My 8yo, high-functioning, ASD kiddo attended Westview when first diagnosed about 5 years ago and is now attending Parish. She has had behavioral issues last semester and this semester. They (and we) have tried all sorts of tactics but it doesn't really seem to be working and I think we're going to be notified next week that it's no longer a good fit.

Are there schools in Houston for ASD kids with behavioral issues? So many of them will not tolerate the more problematic behaviors. We've been told Monarch and Harris, but I'm afraid they may be out of our price range. A psychologist just mentioned The Journey School (formerly New School of the Heights) and Launch in Pearland. Does anyone know about either of those? Any others? Thank you!!
Launch? If you mean Launch Academy, it is in Sugar Land (New Territory), not Pearland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston