Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:38 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Exactly. Coastal plains. So even if you're in a part of town where there are literally no trees, one couldn't even describe it as barren, because you'll still be in an area with ample humidity and above average rainfall.

Tall trees or no trees, Houston is lush all over.

Perfectly stated

Ive long noticed that even the most sparsely treed areas of Houston are extremely verdant. I personally like that about Houston...you hardly ever just encounter that yellowish brown landscape you find in other parts of Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 08:13 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Perfectly stated

Ive long noticed that even the most sparsely treed areas of Houston are extremely verdant. I personally like that about Houston...you hardly ever just encounter that yellowish brown landscape you find in other parts of Texas
Clearly the coastal plains of Houston cannot be compared to the Blackland Prairies seen further inland in the state, not even down to the soil; with all the rainfall Houston gets, over the years, even some of the clay soils have been leached to the point of having an acidic pH, in contrast to the usual basic pH of clay soils seen in the Blackland Prairie. The cracks in Houston's clay soils aren't open for long either. Just watch Southeastern vegetation become even more ubiquitous than it already is over the years.

I started this thread because before I visited the Houston area, I had people telling me that Sugar Land was a field...

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 06-15-2015 at 08:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 08:59 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Clearly the coastal plains of Houston cannot be compared to the Blackland Prairies seen further inland in the state, not even down to the soil; with all the rainfall Houston gets, over the years, even some of the clay soils have been leached to the point of having an acidic pH, in contrast to the usual basic pH of clay soils seen in the Blackland Prairie. The cracks in Houston's clay soils aren't open for long either. Just watch Southeastern vegetation become even more ubiquitous than it already is over the years.

I started this thread because before I visited the Houston area, I had people telling me that Sugar Land was a field...

Its a field in the sense that its flat as a pancake...but Sugarland is very green almost year round and heavily treed in its undeveloped areas.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:51 PM

154 posts, read 179,385 times
A lot of people in Houston are transplants from other parts of the country, including states where there are vast forests everywhere you drive. The areas south of Houston just don't have that. Sure you'll have some trees here and there, but not the forests that non-Houstonions are used to.

Source: Have lived in the Northeast US, and southern areas of Houston. Everything south of the woodlands is barren compared to a lot of the US.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:01 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbraves49 View Post
A lot of people in Houston are transplants from other parts of the country, including states where there are vast forests everywhere you drive. The areas south of Houston just don't have that. Sure you'll have some trees here and there, but not the forests that non-Houstonions are used to.

Source: Have lived in the Northeast US, and southern areas of Houston. Everything south of the woodlands is barren compared to a lot of the US.
I'd venture to say that the "vast forests" part of the country is a minority share of the total land area of the lower 48. Even the coastal plains part of Houston doesn't seem any less lush than what you'll find from Illinois westward (northwest U.S. coast and high elevation mountains excepted, but those are pretty small areas relative to the whole country).

Of course, many of the more densely populated areas of the U.S. do correspond to well-treed areas, so as far as the share of the population goes, I can see that a large number of people might be more used to that.

Still, they may not be continuously forested, but the southern and western portions of the Houston metro hardly feel "treeless." There are vast areas of the country where that adjective is much more apt.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:04 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:

Inside the loop is not "barren" compared to most other cities.

Most cities don't have vast forests. LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, DC, just don't recall any forests.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:05 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,103 times
Quote:

I think "Everything south of the woodlands" is an overstatement--especially considering the area I live in (Spring Branch Woods). There are a lot of trees in Houston in a lot of areas. There are also a lot of flat, ugly areas without very many trees.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:05 PM
bu2

Atlanta is pretty unique in being forested in the city, not the rule.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:07 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Most cities don't have vast forests. LA, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, DC, just don't recall any forests.
If any of you have ever been fairly high in one of the towers downtown, you would know that you don't see anything but other towers and trees.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:09 PM

154 posts, read 179,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

You're comparing large Urban densely populated areas for trees? Um.. really?

Refer back to the OP. The premise is areas south of Houston and the woodlands. No one mentioned downtown Houston.

Once you leave the city of NYC, you're surrounded by forests (likewise with Philadelphia or DC). You go south of Houston, you're surrounded by majority open plains with the occasional trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston