Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Texas NFL team?
Cowboys 22 24.44%
Texans 58 64.44%
...Oilers 10 11.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:28 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,840 times

Advertisements

"Yankees" is not the same as "Texans" so that argument is moot. I can understand if the franchise was called the "New Yorkers"...and good luck finding a large following outside of the State of NY with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:37 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
OK, here's the breakdown. Some posters were claiming that the Texans limited themselves to a instate fan base when they chose that nickname. I pointed out that The Yankee's is a regional moniker as well, yet as you so astutely observed they have a fan following that transcends any regional boundaries. Point being that The Texans, if they ever establish a winning tradition, could also transcend regional boundaries as well and have a more national fan base, or at least a fan base that is not limited by a state line. Get it now ?
Here's the part where you are looking at this wrong. Baseball at the time was the American sport. It was the sport that the world knew we played and it was unique to us. A Yankee wasn't just simply a Northeasterner. A Yankee was any American referred to by the British. To the British, YOU are a Yankee as well. So in essence, the Yankees represent the entire nation. The Texans, even if they establish winning ways, will never be as popular as a brand as the Yankees or Cowboys for that matter.

Somebody breaks it down best here:
To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
"Yankees" is not the same as "Texans" so that argument is moot. I can understand if the franchise was called the "New Yorkers"...and good luck finding a large following outside of the State of NY with that.
Exactly. I don't know of any other team save the NHL Canadians that uses the demonym of the state as a nickname. Yankees is not the same as New Yorker just as Rebel is not the same as Texans.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Here's the part where you are looking at this wrong. Baseball at the time was the American sport. It was the sport that the world knew we played and it was unique to us. A Yankee wasn't just simply a Northeasterner. A Yankee was any American referred to by the British. To the British, YOU are a Yankee as well. So in essence, the Yankees represent the entire nation. The Texans, even if they establish winning ways, will never be as popular as a brand as the Yankees or Cowboys for that matter.

Somebody breaks it down best here:
To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.

I made a very general comparison, to make a very simple point, which you misconstrued either because you were not keeping up with the thread and replied to one post off hand, and didn't understand the foundation of my post, or your just being nit picking IDK! The vast majority of readers of the post in question got the point without any difficulty.

I don't care if they call me Yankee in China. I know the etymology of the term Yankee, its actually derived from an ethnic slur that was originally used by English settlers in Connecticut or by Dutch settlers in New York or New Netherland as it was then called to describe each other. No one outside the Northeast would consider themselves in Yankee territory when it comes to baseball patronage and it's obvious that the Yankees use the term in the American sense of describing somebody from New York. But even if we use your own "breakdown" it would still make the same point, just substitute The United States as the region the term Yankees covers, and they still transcend national borders by having a winning tradition. So either way the point is made and is valid. If the Texans establish a winning tradition they can transcend the supposed limits of a regional moniker as well.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 09-22-2015 at 10:06 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
If the New Yorkers had won 28 World Series Championships they would have a lot of fans outside of New York.....There may be some limits to the name and perhaps they wouldn't have been as popular as the Yankees, but the state line would not be that limit.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I made a very general comparison, to make a very simple point, which you misconstrued either because you were not keeping up with the thread and replied to one post off hand, and didn't understand the foundation of my post, or your just being nit picking IDK! The vast majority of readers of the post in question got the point without any difficulty.

l:
I got the gist of your comparison and your point. It just doesn't fit. That's what you're finding difficult to understand. Yankee is not the same as Texan. Texan is a demonym for a people within state borders. A Yankee can be anything depending on who you are talking to.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
If the New Yorkers had won 28 World Series Championships they would have a lot of fans outside of New York.....There may be some limits to the name and perhaps they wouldn't have been as popular as the Yankees, but the state line would not be that limit.
Laughable. You don't have to win championships only for a team to be nationally popular. The Cubs and their two trophies easily prove that and they haven't won a WS since 1908. They are one of the top 5 teams in the nation as far as following. Name another team that is popular that uses a demonym as a nickname?

Old 09-23-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I got the gist of your comparison and your point. It just doesn't fit. That's what you're finding difficult to understand. Yankee is not the same as Texan. Texan is a demonym for a people within state borders. A Yankee can be anything depending on who you are talking to.
Quote:
Laughable. You don't have to win championships only for a team to be nationally popular. The Cubs and their two trophies easily prove that and they haven't won a WS since 1908. They are one of the top 5 teams in the nation as far as following. Name another team that is popular that uses a demonym as a nickname?
Are you seriously suggesting that winning championships has no impact on a teams popularity ? Are you seriously suggesting that nobody outside of Texas would ever be fans of the Texans because of their name ? Yes I guess the lovable losers called the Cubs have made their lack of success central to their teams spirit but how many lovable losers can pro sports support,? that ecosystem is very limited, and non existent in the NFL.

Your nit picking is getting old, the basic point I was making is that winning will expand a teams fan base beyond its own media market.Yes their are other things you can do to increase popularity to some degree but nothing is going to exponentially increase your fan base like winning. How can anybody argue with that? If you are saying a "demonymic" name will somehow limit it's fan base to state lines or perhaps even city limits regardless of how many championships it wins is patently absurd, ridicules, ludicrous ect.. !

Old 09-23-2015, 05:17 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that winning championships has no impact on a teams popularity ? Are you seriously suggesting that nobody outside of Texas would ever be fans of the Texans because of their name ? Yes I guess the lovable losers called the Cubs have made their lack of success central to their teams spirit but how many lovable losers can pro sports support,? that ecosystem is very limited, and non existent in the NFL.
I disagree. The Saints are a good NFL example. They have a bad record historically, but I know more Saints fans than Texans fans.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I disagree. The Saints are a good NFL example. They have a bad record historically, but I know more Saints fans than Texans fans.
I can see your point, but remember the Saints did win a Superbowl and like I posted earlier one Superbowl championship can go a long way to expanding a teams fan base. Before they won that Superbowl I doubt you would have found to many Saints fans outside of Louisiana. Remember the "Aints"? Plus all the drama around the Katrina disaster did generate a lot of sympathy for New Orleans in general but that I believe is the exception that proves the rule..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston