Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:00 AM

50 posts, read 185,742 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to telfair with one of the main drawbacks being that it is currently zoned to Kempner -- does anybody have insight into the future high school situation in telfair? Is there a new high school coming up? Would it ever be zoned to Austin? etc.

BTW - Does anybody have the name of a knowledgeable realtor in the Katy/Sugarland area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:17 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
I know Telfair has set aside land for one, but not sure when that is to happen. They need the cooperation of FBISD for that.

I don't think Kempner is that bad, is it?

I would be surprised if Telfair was ever zoned to Austin. I don't think there's room. Plus part of Aliana will be zoned to it, which adds more students. So unless enrollment were to drop from other areas, or the school were to expand, don't see that happening.

I know a great realtor who helped us sell our other home and get our new one, and is actually a resident of Telfair herself. I'll send you a dm with her info.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:25 AM

28 posts, read 122,300 times
Somebody told me the high school in telfair will not come up for another 10 years or so. Not sure how reliable that info is though.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,056 times
If you need a good realtor for Katy specifically, DM me and I'll give you her name. She did help us look in New Territory as well, but she was much more informed about Katy.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdrtd20 View Post
We are considering a move to telfair with one of the main drawbacks being that it is currently zoned to Kempner -- does anybody have insight into the future high school situation in telfair? Is there a new high school coming up? Would it ever be zoned to Austin? etc.

BTW - Does anybody have the name of a knowledgeable realtor in the Katy/Sugarland area?
Why is Kempner such a drawback? Their honors and A.P. classes are just as good as Clements or Austin's. Knowing several people that have graduated from Clements and seeing how they react outside the white-bread world, I'd say going there is more of a drawback.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdrtd20 View Post

A new bond will have to pass for Telfair to get a new high school. The decision-makers are likely waiting for the economy to improve before proposing it.

My experience has been that good Realtors either specialize in Katy or Sugar Land but not both.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 PM

191 posts, read 772,918 times
It has been a couple of years since I have heard anything concerning another high school on the west side of the district, mainly Telfair. Initially when the district was trying to pass the bigger bond a couple of years ago, it was going to include plans for another high school. When that bond failed to get voter approval and they had to go back to the drawing board to get a bond passed, they lowered the bond amount excluding another high school on the west side. The district was going to have another bond election in a couple of years to include another west side high school. I believe they were projecting an opening date of 2015. Now with the recession, I have not heard anything more about another bond or another west side high school. The next high school is going in around Sienna.

You might want to call Fort Bend ISD to see if there are any recent developments on another high school on the west side.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:54 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Considering the east side of Fort Bend is not doing as well as their west side brethren, perhaps it's time to put a little more funding and concentration on those schools. To me, it's inexcusable that a district can have two star high schools on one side of the district and five star high schools on the other. Get some of those top notch teachers from Clements over to Willowridge. It just isn't right.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,757,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Why is Kempner such a drawback? Their honors and A.P. classes are just as good as Clements or Austin's. Knowing several people that have graduated from Clements and seeing how they react outside the white-bread world, I'd say going there is more of a drawback.
Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Considering the east side of Fort Bend is not doing as well as their west side brethren, perhaps it's time to put a little more funding and concentration on those schools. To me, it's inexcusable that a district can have two star high schools on one side of the district and five star high schools on the other. Get some of those top notch teachers from Clements over to Willowridge. It just isn't right.
good point

It seems to me the only time you hear this nonsense "my little Johnny or Suzie needs to attend a great school" is on these boards. I'm going to chalk this up as a bunch of relators/SAHM that have nothing better to do then push a certain areas over the other. Since my wife and I been living here in TX most people we've meet (in the real world) tend to have a better outlook on this whole school deal. My point is if you're choosing between KISD or FBISD there really is no difference. At that point it comes down parenting skllls and your child's motivations and which will determine whether they will go on to achieve better things in life. Some of you act like the schools are going to break or make your kids, that's totally wrong.

Here's a quick story, I was talking to a co-worker of mine who's born/raised in Houston, TX. (Katy Taylor High School grad) We got into a conversation about football teams and I brought up Hightower and Willowridge, I asked him "were these good schools?" and he said "those are great schools with everything in place for kids to do well, Don't buy into the redneck jubberish about my kids needing to go to a Taylor or a Clements High just to get a good education" Keep in mind this was coming from a white guy. Then he proceeded to ask me "where do you get these stupid comments about school districts?", till this day I would never let him know I read these comments off of a message board. LMAO

Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
Honestly, until Texas gets rid of the TAKS test, all public education is equally bad across the board. The ratings system is a joke. Children living in better socio-economic situations will do better. Their "rating" will be a shiney gold star. It doesn't mean the education is less if a school is just "Acceptable," it just means the parents are less involved and the kids aren't doggedly preparing for the bubble filling.

Saftey and Social problems are another issue completely though. It doesn't matter what kind of education is provided if the school is in a tough part of town. Case in Point: Landrum in SBISD.

Saying Whitebread Suburban-A schools beats Whitebread Suburban-B school education wise is a joke.

Saying one district is slightly better than another is a valid point though if you have a particular need. Districts spend money differently. Some districts provide more special education, provide more or less special/enrichment programs,or are beefing up existing schools rather than building new ones every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston