Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:30 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The problem with New York City is that you don't have the white sand beaches with gorgeous water like Destin Florida. You're also not able to get around to many places with a golf cart. There isn't a single place to snorkel within walking distance of Manhattan, and forget about a beach-side bonfire off of Broadway. Good luck trying to find a good place to go gig good flounder.

Yes, places in the US have different things to offer.

I'm sure if I were forced to move to NYC, I'd not be able to find decent fajitas, crawfish or sour cream verde enchiladas.
Some of the beaches in Hampton are nicer than Destin, especially the private ones.

Regarding seafood, NYC have more fish selection you don't even know the names to. Lot of seafood wholesale companies will fly fish in daily because of the clientele there. Nobody is flying any fish to Houston. All you get of local varieties here.

Either way, I think you will never get it. So it is going to pointless argument back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 09:44 AM

23,985 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
She must be really big into the bars, clubs and nightlife.
There's nobody on Sugar Hill anymore but old women. No clubs. No jazz, no blues. There is a hardware store and a college.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:50 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Some of the beaches in Hampton are nicer than Destin, especially the private ones.
Ok. Let's compare pictures. You find a photo of a beach in the Hamptons and we'll compare the water and sand to a picture of a beach in Destin.

Quote:
Regarding seafood, NYC have more fish selection you don't even know the names to. Lot of seafood wholesale companies will fly fish in daily because of the clientele there. Nobody is flying any fish to Houston. All you get of local varieties here.
Stop running to the local Krogers in Sugar Land and trying to make a comparison.

If you want fresh fish from around the world, go to a place like Champions Seafood and pay $35 or more for fresh tuna (price will vary depending upon type).

You can go to their Facebook page where they will post what they get in.

The last posting was:

Quote:
is what we have just in:
Alaskan Halibut
Gulf Red Snapper
Idaho Rainbow Trout
Norwegian Salmon
Yellowfin Tuna
Hawaiian Opaka-paka
Alaskan Cod
Australian Barramundi and...
not quite in yet, but we are expecting some Triple-Tail this afternoon, along with some
Littleneck Clams, and
Snow Crab Clusters.
Quote:
Either way, I think you will never get it. So it is going to pointless argument back and forth.
True. It's like trying to tell a Corvette fan boy that other sports cars have other things to offer. No matter what, he'll just keep saying "You will never get it."

Old 06-25-2015, 09:55 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times
Quote:
Half an hour? At what time?

The OP didn't ask about bagels or pizza; those were made from others.

I think most people with common sense are going to realize they aren't going to get the same regional specialties when moving to a very different region.

I was pointing out what should be the obvious.

You missed the point.

BTW, I can post lots of links to "New York Pizza" joints in Houston, but that really means about as much as a link to "theboil".
If I were moving to a new city and I ask for opinions about what to expect that's different, I'd want to hear about the food. It should be obvious that those who responded aren't mindlessly attacking the other city.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:11 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
If I were moving to a new city and I ask for opinions about what to expect that's different, I'd want to hear about the food. It should be obvious that those who responded aren't mindlessly attacking the other city.
Mindlessly attacking no, but definitely misinformed yes. As someone whose lived in both, I'd have to agree with Pedro and what some others have said. Haute cuisine/fine dining they definitely have us beat by miles, but below that I actually prefer the options in town to what's comparable by price point there. Of course this is not true out in the suburbs since that is fast food and chain restaurant purgatory, (no offense to the suburbanites on here cause I get the appeal of being there).

Old 06-25-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Mindlessly attacking no, but definitely misinformed yes. As someone whose lived in both, I'd have to agree with Pedro and what some others have said. Haute cuisine/fine dining they definitely have us beat by miles, but below that I actually prefer the options in town to what's comparable by price point there. Of course this is not true out in the suburbs since that is fast food and chain restaurant purgatory, (no offense to the suburbanites on here cause I get the appeal of being there).
How would you categorize things like cronuts, ramen and bao sandwiches? They aren't fine dining by any definition. Cutting edge stuff like these become trendy first in New York and then make their way to Houston two years later. When talking about food there are lots of niches and it's best not to generalize.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:45 PM

61 posts, read 61,615 times
Quote:
Ok. Let's compare pictures. You find a photo of a beach in the Hamptons and we'll compare the water and sand to a picture of a beach in Destin.

Stop running to the local Krogers in Sugar Land and trying to make a comparison.

If you want fresh fish from around the world, go to a place like Champions Seafood and pay $35 or more for fresh tuna (price will vary depending upon type).

You can go to their Facebook page where they will post what they get in.

The last posting was:

True. It's like trying to tell a Corvette fan boy that other sports cars have other things to offer. No matter what, he'll just keep saying "You will never get it."

Point is, the outdoor recreation in Houston can't compare to greater NYC.
20-30 miles from Manhattan:

Nothing anywhere near Houston can compare to the beautiful Hamptons beaches. NY isn't a tropical climate so it doesn't have Caribbean beaches but that doesn't take away from the fact that they have beautiful beaches.
Hamptons/Montauk:

Old 06-25-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
How would you categorize things like cronuts, ramen and bao sandwiches? They aren't fine dining by any definition. Cutting edge stuff like these become trendy first in New York and then make their way to Houston two years later. When talking about food there are lots of niches and it's best not to generalize.
While there is no denying that the city that is usually on the cutting edge of trends is New York, there are still many trends that start elsewhere. Earlier, I mentioned fajitas. It got it's start in Texas and went mainstream in either Houston or Austin, depending upon your view. (Some people say they began their mainstream appeal via Ninfa's in Houston while others would say it was the Hyatt in Austin responsible for their ascension).

Actually, I'd argue New Orleans has probably had the most impact on food lately than any other city with chefs like Prudhomme and Lagasse having a major impact in the US culinary arena. Cronuts might have their moment in the sun, but will they have the staying power of beignets?

I'm not here to trash NYC by any means, I'm just not going to go along with the idea that it's the be all/end all city in which everyone wants to live.

I'm sure that most people who are very wealthy would prefer NYC over a place like Houston; however, once you start talking about middle class people, Houston may be more conducive for the lifestyles of many families and even couples without kids.

Do I get a little defensive about Houston? Yes.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles V View Post
Point is, the outdoor recreation in Houston can't compare to greater NYC. 20-30 miles from Manhattan:

Nothing anywhere near Houston can compare to the beautiful Hamptons beaches. NY isn't a tropical climate so it doesn't have Caribbean beaches but that doesn't take away from the fact that they have beautiful beaches.
Hamptons/Montauk:
Honestly, that beach looks like crap when compared to Destin.

Additionally, you're still not getting the point. People were pointing things that Houston wasn't going to have that NYC does, which is true of EVERY city.

You're not going to have as good of bangles or pizza in Houston as NYC - really? Should we tell the OP the libraries and theater won't be as good as NYC either? I mean, maybe she doesn't know that.

I just don't see the reason of pointing out the obvious that something a city is known for probably won't be the same in another city. So saying the OP won't find as good of bagels and pizza in Houston is much like saying the beaches in NYC aren't going to be as nice as those in Destin.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Honestly, that beach looks like crap when compared to Destin.

Additionally, you're still not getting the point. People were pointing things that Houston wasn't going to have that NYC does, which is true of EVERY city.

You're not going to have as good of bangles or pizza in Houston as NYC - really? Should we tell the OP the libraries and theater won't be as good as NYC either? I mean, maybe she doesn't know that.

I just don't see the reason of pointing out the obvious that something a city is known for probably won't be the same in another city. So saying the OP won't find as good of bagels and pizza in Houston is much like saying the beaches in NYC aren't going to be as nice as those in Destin.
Sometimes people's perceptions can be wrong so it may still be worth discussing what we think are common knowledge. For example, people who've never been to Houston may think it would have great barbeque and lousy Indian food but those of us who's lived here a while know the opposite is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston