Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:55 AM

391 posts, read 424,992 times

Advertisements

Oh please, Beaumont isn't that bad. It's almost exactly like outside-the-loop Houston in my experience. There are nice neighborhoods and rough ones and tons of choices for restaurants (Floyd's, Suga's and Pappadeaux are my favorite). There aren't nearly as many high-paying jobs as in Houston unless you're in Oil&Gas or chemical engineering though, and O&G is obviously in a down cycle right now. That's ultimately what will determine where you want to live - what line of work are you two in?

Old 06-26-2015, 08:11 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
Oh please, Beaumont isn't that bad. It's almost exactly like outside-the-loop Houston in my experience. There are nice neighborhoods and rough ones and tons of choices for restaurants (Floyd's, Suga's and Pappadeaux are my favorite). There aren't nearly as many high-paying jobs as in Houston unless you're in Oil&Gas or chemical engineering though, and O&G is obviously in a down cycle right now. That's ultimately what will determine where you want to live - what line of work are you two in?

Nah beaumont is nothing like outside the loop in Houston or even the beltway

Old 06-26-2015, 08:39 AM

391 posts, read 424,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What makes you say that? I've spent plenty of time in Beaumont and I don't see much of a difference. Downtown and near the college and the mall reminds me a hell of a lot of West Houston. I may not have been to the worst areas of B-mont, but then again I don't go into Acres Homes or the Wards very much in H-town either.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
What makes you say that? I've spent plenty of time in Beaumont and I don't see much of a difference. Downtown and near the college and the mall reminds me a hell of a lot of West Houston. I may not have been to the worst areas of B-mont, but then again I don't go into Acres Homes or the Wards very much in H-town either.

I lived in Beaumont for more than 4 years it's nothing like outer loop. Think about it for a second, the proximity from anywhere in the outer loop to shopping, dinning, two major airports it's not even close. Even outside the beltway in many/most locations offers way more to folks than the Beaumont area would

Old 06-26-2015, 09:26 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post

Beaumont is like Katy, Sugar Land, or The Woodlands?? Seriously???

No. 1 Least Educated City: Beaumont, Texas - In Photos: The 10 Most And Least Educated Cities In America - Forbes

Sugar Land basks in glow of national spotlight - Houston Chronicle

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/11/24...referrer=&_r=0

Old 06-26-2015, 10:05 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
The area behind Parkdale Mall, and the area around Central Mall in Mid Jefferson County are both like pieces of suburban Houston with a lot of the common chain restaurants and big box stores. I'd lean towards what Mandres said. A lot of that area is dumpy, but there are areas that are like a slice of suburban Houston.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
The area behind Parkdale Mall, and the area around Central Mall in Mid Jefferson County are both like pieces of suburban Houston with a lot of the common chain restaurants and big box stores. I'd lean towards what Mandres said. A lot of that area is dumpy, but there are areas that are like a slice of suburban Houston.
The area around parkdale isn't nice

Old 06-26-2015, 11:49 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,740 times
I had a lot of friends from Beaumont in college. After thinking about it now, I don't think any one of them went back.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:15 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
The very best parts of that area are, at best, maybe like the suburban areas of Baytown and Pasadena with much less selection.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:40 PM

556 posts, read 1,086,740 times
Quote:
like the suburban areas of Baytown and Pasadena with much less selection
I think their visitor's bureau is using that tagline to kick off their new "so much more than Spindletop" campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston