Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 8,008 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a 24 yo (very soon to be 25) black female. I am seriously considering moving to Houston,TX. Im a southern girl from a very small town in Georgia. Since Ive gotten my degree, Ive lived in Miami, Atlanta and Chattanooga all with the same company. I moved to Miami firstly because I have a lot of family there and it was an easy transition from college. Ended up getting a promotion to Atlanta and taking that because it paid significantly more money and the cost of living was less expensive. Then the account I worked on ended up moving to Chattanooga, which I hate . I have been here for 8 months now and am ready for a change. While other cities Ive lived in, I moved to because of opportunity, Houston is always somewhere I wanted to live and could see myself there long term. (Im tired of bouncing around!)

I guess there are a few things I wanted to know.

1. Do black professionals do well in Houston? More so women? I currently work for one of the largest transportation companies in the nation with one of the largest online retail giants in the nations as well. Im looking to stay in the logistics/supply chain/transportation field .

2. How is the cost of living? I plan to rent at first, but I want to eventually buy a home.

3. Where are some good places for a young black single female to live. I prefer to be where things are happening. I like to be in a diverse area. Not just one race or kind of people/

4. Is it easy to meet new people and make friends

5. Hows is the dating there for black people.

6. Are to summers really brutal? And winters terrible?

7. What are some good churches for younger people?

8. How is traffic? I've lived in Miami and was ok, but Atlanta was just ridiculous!!

9. How is the social life? I do enjoy clubbing every now and then but not all the time. I like bars and lounges. Random things like cooking classes, running groups, dancing?

10. I really want to be involved in some sort of non-profit organization to help mentor young black children and helping them with their education, self esteem, etc. What are some organizations such as that in Houston?

Sorry that may have been a lot. But even if you can answer a few questions or just provide some additional information about my inquiry, I will be most grateful. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Not going to answer all of your questions, but I will address some of them:

2) Cost of living is higher than most people think. Rents in particular are pretty high compared to the costs of purchasing. I was renting but bought a house because it got to be where my mortgage would be cheaper than my rent.

6) The summers won't be much worse than the other places you have lived. The main difference is they will be longer. It will be in the 80s regularly until November. Winters can be worse than people expect due to the constant temperature swings. When it gets cold, it is a humid, bone-chilling cold.

8) I've spent time in Atlanta and Houston traffic is probably comparable. Houston is much like Atlanta in that there are suburbs and employments centers surrounding the entire City, so any direction you go will have a lot of traffic.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:55 AM

345 posts, read 809,789 times
1. Black women do just fine working here.
2. One of the best in the south and in general overall.
3. Inside the 610 loop is where it's happening but it's expensive. depends on your budget
4. Pretty doable in the 4th largest city in US
5. I'm not black but from the high population of blacks here, I imagine it won't be a problem.
6. Winters are fine, summers are indeed terrible. You will not want to leave house.
7. Dunno.
8. Traffic sucks but depends on which area. Closer to the city the worse it is. Any commute within half hour is great.
9. Pretty damn good since you're in a large city.
10. Dunno specifically but I know there's tons here.

Overall, Houston's a good fit for you and from what I'm aware comparable to Atlanta. It's not the prettiest city but very practical to live in.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:26 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times
Most blacks who move here live in Pearland...the new Missouri City

Old 07-08-2015, 10:37 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
1. Depends
2. High
3. No clue
4. Yes
5. No clue
6. Yes and yes
7. Whatever you like
8. Terrible, road rage is horrendous in Houston.
9. No clue
10. No clue.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:10 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Most blacks who move here live in Pearland...the new Missouri City
Well that's not necessarily true it has more to do with their work
Location on where black proffesions tend to move. She said she likes diverse so many areas fit that. If I were your age, I would have a realtor or apt locator focus on areas inside the loop considering you're single and the variety of things you enjoy doing. Upper Kirby, the heights and midtown would all
Be great places to live.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:26 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
1. Houston is very diverse and most people get along just fine with each other
2. Houston is the city where I've seen the most black women driving luxury cars

Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Regarding #3, I would look in Midtown, Museum Park / Almeda Corridor, and EaDo. Also the Washington Avenue corridor. Be forewarned: newer places to rent will be pretty expensive.

You could also try Downtown, where there's some new apartment projects going up, and a fun scene happening also - but again, they will be expensive.

For sheer population and retail diversity, you can't beat Westchase out on the west side, plus easy access to other hot spots like Uptown and CityCentre. In fact, you should also check out CityCentre itself. Don't know about the folks who actually live there (again, expensive) but the patrons of the businesses are extremely diverse.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:53 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
1. Houston is very diverse and most people get along just fine with each other
2. Houston is the city where I've seen the most black women driving luxury cars
and have the worst driving.

Being black has nothing to do with anything far as im concerned. Being the 4th largest city we aren't all white males.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:32 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
and have the worst driving.

Being black has nothing to do with anything far as im concerned. Being the 4th largest city we aren't all white males.
I'm just saying what I've seen
now ... don't ask me if that's their car, their husband's car, rental, stolen or whatever, because I don't know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston