Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:08 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,092,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Awesome View Post
The problem is a general lack of enforcement. As Houston fan said, the number of people carrying unsecured loads is way too high. I know everyone hates traffic enforcement, but it would be great to throw a few more traffic units up on the freeway to stop and ticket the idiots who think they can move all their life possessions in a tiny pickup truck with one strap thrown on the back.
Instead of putting extra cops on the road how about sending a dump truck and two guys out at night to pick up the garbage on a regular basis? There is no excuse for seeing a broken mattress along the inside shoulder for weeks at a time. Other municipalities, such as Bellaire and Sugarland, manage to keep their roads clean on a regular basis, so obviously it is possible. The longer trash is allowed to accumulate, the more difficult it is to clean and pick up later, not to mention the road hazards that accumulated trash causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 01:13 PM

99 posts, read 151,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Instead of putting extra cops on the road how about sending a dump truck and two guys out at night to pick up the garbage on a regular basis? There is no excuse for seeing a broken mattress along the inside shoulder for weeks at a time. Other municipalities, such as Bellaire and Sugarland, manage to keep their roads clean on a regular basis, so obviously it is possible. The longer trash is allowed to accumulate, the more difficult it is to clean and pick up later, not to mention the road hazards that accumulated trash causes.
Agree 100% about the road hazards. Today I barely missed a tire lying on the I-10 while going 60 mph. The car in front of me actually changed lanes at the last second to avoid the tire. Luckily no car was in his/her blindspot.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:26 PM

31 posts, read 32,774 times
Quote:
Certainly that is needed, but I'm talking about addressing the root of the problem. We've all seen poorly secured loads traveling down the freeway, and the only way to take care of that is ticketing the offending drivers.

There are already road crews that look for junk on the roads, but the amount of freeways and large roads we have in Houston is overwhelming their capability to respond in a timely manner.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Awesome View Post
Certainly that is needed, but I'm talking about addressing the root of the problem. We've all seen poorly secured loads traveling down the freeway, and the only way to take care of that is ticketing the offending drivers.

There are already road crews that look for junk on the roads, but the amount of freeways and large roads we have in Houston is overwhelming their capability to respond in a timely manner.
That's right. There are not enough road crews to take care of the junk. So get more road crews on the road then. Its amazing that this city spends $Billions on road construction but doesn't set aside enough to properly maintain them. Unless a cop was at every entrance ramp on every freeway there will always be insecure loads and problems somewhere, and accidents do happen irregardless. Stopping the guy with a mattress strapped to his roof one day isn't going to prevent a different guy on a different day from doing the same thing. But junk accumulates every day, and it needs to be cleaned every day.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:34 PM

31 posts, read 32,774 times
Quote:
That's right. There are not enough road crews to take care of the junk. So get more road crews on the road then. Its amazing that this city spends $Billions on road construction but doesn't set aside enough to properly maintain them. Unless a cop was at every entrance ramp on every freeway there will always be insecure loads and problems somewhere, and accidents do happen irregardless. Stopping the guy with a mattress strapped to his roof one day isn't going to prevent a different guy on a different day from doing the same thing. But junk accumulates every day, and it needs to be cleaned every day.
You're right, and it's absolutely impossible to do both...

Just like there will always be junk on the freeways somewhere. Do you think its possible for the cops and work crews to drive around to find the junk and unsecured loads, or should we pretend they aren't mobile, in vehicles, and hire work crews for every entrance ramp?

Old 08-03-2015, 12:09 PM

5,637 posts, read 4,962,115 times
Posters are talking about "the city" should do something, but it's the primary responsibility of TxDOT. Don't expect the City of Houston, or really any city, to add such responsibility to the budget. Sugar Land and a few other wealthy places might have chosen to do so.

In some cases management districts (which are not part of a city) provide freeway right of way landscape maintenance and cleanup.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:04 PM

672 posts, read 849,048 times
I just moved to Roman Forest Blvd (Tavola) last week! Today was my first day commuting from there to Downtown, so I haven't noticed the trash....I'll be looking out for it though!

Old 08-03-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Posters are talking about "the city" should do something, but it's the primary responsibility of TxDOT. Don't expect the City of Houston, or really any city, to add such responsibility to the budget. Sugar Land and a few other wealthy places might have chosen to do so.

In some cases management districts (which are not part of a city) provide freeway right of way landscape maintenance and cleanup.
Why not? Our state government has demonstrated that they don't care. Local governments should take care of problems within their boundaries, whether that means thru working together with TXDOT, a management district, or funding their own cleanup.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:54 PM

5,637 posts, read 4,962,115 times
Quote:
Why not? Our state government has demonstrated that they don't care. Local governments should take care of problems within their boundaries, whether that means thru working together with TXDOT, a management district, or funding their own cleanup.
Management districts are funded by commercial property owners and thus don't have to answer to voters. Cities, however, do get their funds from property and sales taxes paid by their residents. If you can convince the voting residents that this kind of expenditure is worthwhile, then more power to you.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:46 PM

804 posts, read 1,077,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sksainath View Post
I-10 from Katy to Beltway is full of thrash as well. Tires, buckets, cardboard boxes, plastic trash bags...I remembered seeing all those "Dont mess with Texas" signs when I moved here in 2011. Looks like Houstonians do mess with Texas!!!

yea I-10 east out to the texas boarder is got tons of tire casing and all sorts of junk. not that it gets any better in Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston