Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 03:01 PM

398 posts, read 394,840 times

Advertisements

If you life long Houstonians want to smell what I'm talking about it, go one block SE of the Just A Dollar food store on Walker and then cross the street. Do this at 5 AM when all of the bums are still sleeping there. The Houston funk I consistently smell is just like that only less concentrated and strong. It's a distinct mix of pi$$, sh__, and BO.

I think there are minor to moderate sewer problems throughout the city that cause this stench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 03:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Where is this stink that people keep referring too?
Either in their heads or on their upper lip.

There are some smelly areas around the ship channel, but other than that, not much at all.

If you want to smell something really disgusting, drive past the Purina plant in Denver. Oh my!!!

As far as general, too many people, city smells, Houston isn't nearly as bad as many parts of Paris.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:14 PM

657 posts, read 740,232 times
People are really grasping at straws here claiming that the city stinks lol

Old 08-19-2015, 03:23 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelsTX View Post
does smells like a dirty a$$hole work better for you?
How do you know what that smells like ?

Quote:
If you life long Houstonians want to smell what I'm talking about it, go one block SE of the Just A Dollar food store on Walker and then cross the street. Do this at 5 AM when all of the bums are still sleeping there. The Houston funk I consistently smell is just like that only less concentrated and strong. It's a distinct mix of pi$$, sh__, and BO.

I think there are minor to moderate sewer problems throughout the city that cause this stench.
And I'm sure if you go behind the Dollar Food and open the dumpster you can really know what stink is. Go ahead and post the exact co-ordinance for every foul smell you encounter, we will try to clean it up for you we don't want you to be embarrassed or anything.

These smells you describe can be found in any urban area they are not exclusive too Houston. I think you are being a little too sensitive and your clients are probably aware of this and take advantage of your humiliation...

Old 08-19-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
People are really grasping at straws here claiming that the city stinks lol
Yeah we all got together one day and decided to make it up just to knock Houston ...

Old 08-19-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
How do you know what that smells like ?

And I'm sure if you go behind the Dollar Food and open the dumpster you can really know what stink is. Go ahead and post the exact co-ordinance for every foul smell you encounter, we will try to clean it up for you we don't want you to be embarrassed or anything.

These smells you describe can be found in any urban area they are not exclusive too Houston. I think you are being a little too sensitive and your clients are probably aware of this and take advantage of your humiliation...
I don't mention it until their face looks like this

btw- I've been to most major US cities and you're right, some have a little stank. But nothing compares to that good ol Houston funk. Nothing.

If you're willing to help. I'll make sure and post those "co-ordinance" for you.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
I don't mention it until their face looks like this

btw- I've been to most major US cities and you're right, some have a little stank. But nothing compares to that good ol Houston funk. Nothing.

If you're willing to help. I'll make sure and post those "co-ordinance" for you.
You posted earlier that people who live in a city get used to it and don't notice it after a while, I think you are right on this to a certain extent however, I also don't think you truly know what a city smells like until you have been there for awhile. People who have lived in an area for awhile not only get used to those smells but learn how to avoid those aromas as well. If you experience those smells coming into downtown take a different route next time and maybe you will have a more pleasant commute.

BTW I once bought a brand new car that had a funky sulfur smell from time to time. It was embarrassing to say the least. I eventually got the dealer to replace the catalytic converter and that fixed the problem for good. Just something to think about...

Old 08-19-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
You posted earlier that people who live in a city get used to it and don't notice it after a while, I think you are right on this to a certain extent however, I also don't think you truly know what a city smells like until you have been there for awhile. People who have lived in an area for awhile not only get used to those smells but learn how to avoid those aromas as well. If you experience those smells coming into downtown take a different route next time and maybe you will have a more pleasant commute.

BTW I once bought a brand new car that had a funky sulfur smell from time to time. It was embarrassing to say the least. I eventually got the dealer to replace the catalytic converter and that fixed the problem for good. Just something to think about...
It's not the route that stinks. It's the destination. I can smell it all day downtown while outside. Inside the buildings/tunnels not so much but I can still occasionally get a whiff. It fades a little over the course of the day but is still very evident.

Definitely not the cars, as I've driven downtown in many and ofcourse I can smell it all damn day downtown away from vehicles. 85% of my clients not from Houston smell it too. It's not just me.

I smell that rotten sewer smell in various parts of the city but I frequent downtown most often therefore that's where I interact with the funk the most.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:19 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Hey, Nickels, have you thought about living on the northeast side of town?

Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 PM

657 posts, read 740,232 times
Quote:
Yeah we all got together one day and decided to make it up just to knock Houston ...
I've never heard anyone else complain about the smell unless they are by the refineries Maybe its your upper lip?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston