Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 11:59 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,804 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever had significant issues with peripheral neuropathy and found a doctor who offered real and lasting solutions? My issue involves both of my knees (tingly and prickly all the time) and I have been seeing a neurologist who is confounded by my situation and has never really known how to treat me. Anyone???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 12:04 PM

88 posts, read 123,177 times
My wife will be seeing a neurologist in a couple weeks for neuropathy in her right hand and foot, I'll post here our thoughts on the doctor following the appointment. At this point, she's seen two primary care physicians who both believe her issue is a result of B12 deficiency (one of the doctors also mentioned her vitamin D deficiency could be causing some of the issues). I assume you've had standard blood work done, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:35 PM

Actually, I don't think I have had any blood work done for this situation. But I have had an MRI and nerve conduction studies. This condition presented about two years ago when I had a total knee replacement on my left knee and I've been to several doctors who just don't have a clue. There is nothing remarkable showing in the MRI, nothing more than the "normal" issues of an aging spine. But because this condition presented in both knees immediately after my first surgery (I just had the second knee replacement a month ago), it would seem to be caused in the lower spine that feeds nerves to both legs. I would appreciate any feedback you may be able to provide following your wife's visit to her neurologist. Thanks for your interest.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 16,118 times
Acupuncture works, to some degree, in about 70% of neuropathy cases, with lasting results. It's worth a shot to get some relief. Just make sure you see someone who is a LICENSED acupuncturist in Texas, meaning they have gone through 4 years of post-graduate studies, 4 national board exams, and got their license from the TX Medical Board - and not someone who is just certified (like an MD or a chiropractor who did a little 6 week-end class on the side).

Old 08-25-2015, 04:58 PM

188 posts, read 349,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aba030 View Post
My wife will be seeing a neurologist in a couple weeks for neuropathy in her right hand and foot, I'll post here our thoughts on the doctor following the appointment. At this point, she's seen two primary care physicians who both believe her issue is a result of B12 deficiency (one of the doctors also mentioned her vitamin D deficiency could be causing some of the issues). I assume you've had standard blood work done, but thought I'd mention it anyway.
@Redrover or original poster- My dad had total knee replacement in 2010 and he developed similar issues post operation. After blood work determined he is deficient in both vitamin D and B12, replenishing those vit.s helped him immensely with his neuropathy kind of issues.Thought I would post to strongly encourage the blood-work suggestion. All the best.

Last edited by Firefly in sweet land; 08-25-2015 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Addressed to wrong person.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aba030 View Post
I would really appreciate your updates on your wife's visit to a neurologist. I'm in the market for a new one who might have more insight into what I'm experiencing. Please let me know when she's had her appointment and what she thinks. What part of town are y'all in? I live in N. Katy so hopefully you guys aren't somewhere off the Gulf Freeway or other distant area. (You can update me in a direct message since there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest in my situation.) Thanks so much.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:55 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
Dr William irr is a very good neurologist. He is near 610 and furnace in the bellaire area.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:36 PM

28 posts, read 62,540 times
I 2nd Dr. Irr.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:00 PM

To those who responded to my inquiry, thank you. Although I appreciated the information about the vitamin deficiency angle, the consensus among medical professionals I've consulted is that my problem stems from a pinched nerve somewhere in the lumbar region of my spine. To those who suggested Dr. Irr, I tried to get an appointment with him but he was booked solid until the middle of January. However, I did manage to get in to see his associate (or partner, not sure), Dr. Mary Ellen Vanderlick and could not be more pleased. She is light years better than my previous neurologist and has become my "partner" in trying to find a solution to this miserable problem. First she prescribed some lidocaine pads which unfortunately didn't do a thing. Then she sent me to get a steroid injection in my spine which sadly didn't work either. However I have an appointment next Monday with a spinal care practice in the Med Center where I am expecting yet another injection however this will be in a lower part of the spine and I'm holding my breath. Unfortunately, if that option fails, I will be left with only one other course of treatment, spine surgery. I am more than a little freaked by that extreme solution but I may have no other choice. In the meantime I am now taking another pain medication which provides intermittent assistance with the endless discomfort but I have little recourse but to wait and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston