Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:24 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Yes it can substantially hurt the value since most people do not want wood upstairs.
No. It is not customary.
Wood upstairs is VERY common in hallways and game rooms these days....but not as common in bedrooms. However it is not uncommon...it is certainly not a detriment to resale.

However, I do not think wood will ever hurt your resale value...even if it is everywhere upstairs. Lots of folks may want carpet and they would be happy to know that they can carpet over wood, and if they change their mind later they can go back to wood quickly and for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:05 PM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Plus carpeting over wood is substantially cheaper than the reverse. Resale will not be hurt.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:54 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Wood upstairs is VERY common in hallways and game rooms these days....but not as common in bedrooms. However it is not uncommon...it is certainly not a detriment to resale.

However, I do not think wood will ever hurt your resale value...even if it is everywhere upstairs. Lots of folks may want carpet and they would be happy to know that they can carpet over wood, and if they change their mind later they can go back to wood quickly and for free.
We probably looked at 100 homes during our search to build a new home. I never saw one home with wood upstairs. We looked at everything from $350k to just under a million. Saw some with wood on the stairs, wood in the study, the entire down stairs except the kitchen, etc but never one home with wood upstairs in hallways or game rooms.

Guess we didn't look at the right houses.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:20 AM

385 posts, read 440,751 times
Quote:
We probably looked at 100 homes during our search to build a new home. I never saw one home with wood upstairs. We looked at everything from $350k to just under a million. Saw some with wood on the stairs, wood in the study, the entire down stairs except the kitchen, etc but never one home with wood upstairs in hallways or game rooms.

I have seen a few, and they are on my list, but yep, very rare.

I wish more people would do it. It is easy enough to put down w2w or area rugs. That is what people do out here on the east coast where most homes have hardwood/vinyl/laminate throughout.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:42 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,883 times
Quote:

If you look in the Heights, I dare say most homes have wood floors throughout, especially the new builds that are not townhomes.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:26 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Quote:

I think it depends on what you are looking for and where you are looking....Its extremely common, as in almost 100% of the new homes in the Heights have wood...its also extremely common in new construction in almost every new 3 story townhome, as well as in most homes in Bellaire, West U, & Memorial.

I agree, tract homes in the suburbs do not generally put wood upstairs, but that is due to cost, not b/c people do not want it, or because it would hurt resale values.

I just built in Memorial, and I fought with our interior decorator over this issue...she wanted wood in the game room...I did not. Not b/c I thought I would not like it, but b/c we were over-budget, and it was going to be another $3500....We did carpet there much to her objection, but I did do wood in the hallways upstairs and on the stairs themselves...I reasoned that since the game room is elevated 2' upstairs compared to the rest of the upstairs to achieve 14' ceilings in the great room below, I could use a different wood later if I changed my mind, since the 3 steps up to the gameroom are the stair risers which are a different wood than the flooring anyways...so it it would be a seamless transition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: