Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should more palm trees be planted?
Yes, more palms 44 48.89%
No, we have enough 32 35.56%
Meh 14 15.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 05:21 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,801,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHito View Post
They can look nice but there's a reason they're not native to the inland areas. I think it's better to select vegetation that's native to the area personally. Palms use more water and don't provide as much shelter from the sun. We need all the water we can get in some years so planting water hungry trees is not the best idea.

They are probably more relevant if you live near the coast but not inland.
The native range of the dwarf palmetto extends well into Northeast Texas. The Texas palmetto may or may not be native to Houston, but it can be found growing naturally in some inland areas of southern Texas. Cabbage palms are another inland growing tree.

Crape myrtles aren't native to the area but those are planted like they grow $100 bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
I wouldn't really consider Houston to be "inland." Dallas, sure.
Even much of DFW is part of the Gulf Coastal Plain. Certain species of palms can do well up there, too.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:47 PM

385 posts, read 441,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Even much of DFW is part of the Gulf Coastal Plain. Certain species of palms can do well up there, too.
I wasn't suggesting palms wouldn't grow or be native to Dallas. Just responding to the totally inaccurate notion that Galveston could be coastal, but not Houston.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting palms wouldn't grow or be native to Dallas. Just responding to the totally inaccurate notion that Galveston could be coastal, but not Houston.
Oh, I wasn't trying to negate your point. Just adding my two cents.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:55 PM

153 posts, read 306,259 times
Not a fan of palms at all. I just don't like them. For me, Houston doesn't feel like a tropical city even if it is subtropical, and I tend to reserve palms for more directly coastal areas in my head.

Give me an oak tree any day. That look is more what I prefer.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:28 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,930,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
As I mentioned, the Canary Island palms can look nice in certain situations. The taller palms are unequivocally out of place, tacky, and shameful, especially as street trees (for which shade is a prime function). That First Colony Mall photo shows how horrible they are - how could you claim that as evidence for pro-tall-palms? This isn't even up for update. First Colony needs to remove those post-haste and replace them with broadleaf native Texas trees, such as Shumard oaks, or even a deciduous non-broadleaf such as Texas Cypress. What a horrible choice they made.
Oh please, the palms are obviously healthy and fine. They blend in well with the environment, and offer a nice aesthetic blend with the other vegetation. You know in your heart that your argument merely is based on your contempt for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHito View Post
They can look nice but there's a reason they're not native to the inland areas. I think it's better to select vegetation that's native to the area personally. Palms use more water and don't provide as much shelter from the sun. We need all the water we can get in some years so planting water hungry trees is not the best idea.

They are probably more relevant if you live near the coast but not inland.
Many of the palm species native to Houston have ranges that extend to inland areas, not just in Texas, but also other parts of the Southeast, including the Dwarf Palmetto, and Cabbage Palmetto. Palms grow naturally wherever the environment/climate is suitable, whether the location is inland or coastal.

Water usage isn't a worry for many palms planted in Houston; a lot of non-native species planted in the city come from areas of the world with much drier climates than Houston, like from desert climates, or Mediterranean climates. These include the Washingtonias, and many date palm species. With that, Houston is more than wet enough to sustain these palms. All this ignores the fact that water, pretty much, is the last thing Houston worries about, no different from other Southeastern US cities.

And frankly, it doesn't matter if the flora being planted is native or not; if they grow well in Houston's climate, then they can be planted as much as possible. Houston, like the rest of the coastal Southeastern US, is blessed with an epic humid subtropical regime featuring mild winters, and tropical-like summers, allowing for it to be an Eden, great for cultivating large varieties of flora. Enough with the weak arguments.

Quote:
I must be missing something because those trees at First Colony are well cared for and look exactly as they should (though they do look recently groomed in these pics). They aren't meant to be shade trees though. Not sure why anyone would think they would be.

I have no problem with palms if they are taken care of. I am from the land of streets lined with palms. They can certainly look pretty. Spent many hours looking at and watching them sway in the ocean breezes as a kid. I wouldn't really consider Houston to be "inland." Dallas, sure. Houston is definitely transitional, which means you are likely to see a mix of vegetation (inland and coastal).

Coastal Marshes
All the vegetation in the Houston area evolved with the ocean-influenced humid subtropical regime that is Houston's climate; thus, even vegetation that grows well-inland in Texas, let alone just Houston, is, in a way, influenced by the ocean. The influence comes in the form of the many epic Gulf thunderstorms that provide the water that allows these plants to be luscious and full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiabelle View Post
Not a fan of palms at all. I just don't like them. For me, Houston doesn't feel like a tropical city even if it is subtropical, and I tend to reserve palms for more directly coastal areas in my head.

Give me an oak tree any day. That look is more what I prefer.
Palms aren't strictly tropical plants; many species are native to subtropical areas like the Southeastern US, including around Houston. Palms grow wherever the environment is suited for them, whether inland, or by the sea. Your argument makes no sense.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 10-10-2015 at 03:00 AM..

Old 10-10-2015, 02:53 AM

These palms look tacky and unnatural, right? The area they are in is far from tropical paradise, and is well inland from the coast, right in the middle of the desert too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_filifera

Old 10-10-2015, 06:53 PM

Natural growing palms in the Houston area, along the bottom-land forest region by the Brazos River (from Fortbend to Brazoria counties):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jtwilliams10/16604608091

http://static.inaturalist.org/photos...jpg?1412171230

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jtwilliams10/16090399243

Old 10-10-2015, 08:52 PM

5,637 posts, read 4,962,115 times
My objections to tall spindly palms (sorry don't know the correct names for them) is that they make terrible street trees and primary landscaping statements (front door, processional etc.). That is undeniable. Just because they can grow well here doesn't mean they are good statement-making plants. Are there not many other plants which grow well in Houston that are wholly inappropriate for primary landscaping features in an urban setting?

Old 10-10-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
My objections to tall spindly palms (sorry don't know the correct names for them) is that they make terrible street trees and primary landscaping statements (front door, processional etc.). That is undeniable. Just because they can grow well here doesn't mean they are good statement-making plants. Are there not many other plants which grow well in Houston that are wholly inappropriate for primary landscaping features in an urban setting?
There are many "tall, spindly palms," that grow throughout the Houston area. Here are just some of the more commonly known varieties:

Washingtonia Filfera, or the California Fan Palm, are the palms shown in the Palm Canyon pic I had; these are the palms that make the "skirt" when left untrimmed:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_filifera

Washingtonia Robusta, or Mexican Fan Palm, resemble the California Fan Palm, but they attain taller heights:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washingtonia_robusta

Sabal Palmetto, or Cabbage Palm, is native to the Southeast US coast; this palm is one of many species that line the Highland Village area:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabal_palmetto

Sabal Mexicana, or Texas Sabal Palmetto resembles the Cabbage Palm, but is shorter, and stockier. They also can be seen growing along the Highland Village area:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabal_mexicana

I don't think palms detract from an urban setting; in fact, I think that they add a great flavor to the environment. Just look at how exotic, chic, and sexy places like Highland Village and River Oaks look:
Highland Village:

River Oaks:

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 10-10-2015 at 11:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston