Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should more palm trees be planted?
Yes, more palms 44 48.89%
No, we have enough 32 35.56%
Meh 14 15.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 03:11 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times

Advertisements

I prefer shade trees. I like palms, but I rarely notice them like I do the shade trees. Houston needs more shade. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 07:30 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
My objections to tall spindly palms (sorry don't know the correct names for them) is that they make terrible street trees and primary landscaping statements (front door, processional etc.). That is undeniable. Just because they can grow well here doesn't mean they are good statement-making plants. Are there not many other plants which grow well in Houston that are wholly inappropriate for primary landscaping features in an urban setting?
Really? This does nothing for you?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...fornia3062.jpg

It's cool. Everyone has their opinion.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:50 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I prefer shade trees. I like palms, but I rarely notice them like I do the shade trees. Houston needs more shade. :-)
The palms blend in well with the many large broad leaf trees in Houston to make an interesting subtropical mix. This is especially the case with the Live Oaks and Magnolia trees. More shade trees would be nice; it is always good to embellish the large amounts of natural shade Houston already has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Really? This does nothing for you?

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...fornia3062.jpg

It's cool. Everyone has their opinion.
Interesting mix of Washingtonia and Canary Island Date Palms. Those palms will grow faster in California than in Houston/Southeast US, because those palms have a preference of the drier, Med climates over humid subtropical climates. Palms of the Sabal, or Livingstonia variety will do better in the Southeast vs California, as these palms prefer humid climates.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:34 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Los Angeles directly abuts the open ocean. It also doesn't have to mitigate summer heat like Houston does. It is not comparable or relevant.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:06 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,841 times
Quote:
Los Angeles directly abuts the open ocean. It also doesn't have to mitigate summer heat like Houston does. It is not comparable or relevant.
While portions of LA city limits do stretch to the ocean, the central urban core of Los Angeles, including downtown and many key urban neighborhoods, is quite a bit inland from the Pacific, much like Houston is a bit inland from the Gulf. As far as summer heat, only the coastal/near-coastal micro-climates of the city experience the famed moderate temperatures; many inland areas of the city have seen temps hotter than Houston has ever experienced.

Never mind that your point isn't making much sense; Phoenix, Las Vegas, and other Desert Southwest cities go out of their way to plant loads of palms, and they are farther from the coast, and see far hotter temps each summer than Houston will ever experience (and thus have more need to mitigate heat). As I have shown, many palms, such as the Washingtonia, grow naturally in areas that are hotter during summer, and further inland, than Houston is. Orlando, like Houston, is a bit inland from the coast, and has similar summer heat, and loads of palms are planted there too. Thus, palms can be planted in Houston, and they would suit the city just fine. They shouldn't the only plants that are planted, but it is okay if more of them are planted.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:15 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,991,725 times
I like palms in back yards but not in front.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:31 PM

385 posts, read 440,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
All the vegetation in the Houston area evolved with the ocean-influenced humid subtropical regime that is Houston's climate; thus, even vegetation that grows well-inland in Texas, let alone just Houston, is, in a way, influenced by the ocean. The influence comes in the form of the many epic Gulf thunderstorms that provide the water that allows these plants to be luscious and full.
I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't, as evidenced by my link to saltwater marshes in the area.

As I mentioned in a follow up post to that, I was responding to someone else saying that Houston was "inland" and therefore not coastal.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 PM

385 posts, read 440,374 times
Quote:
Tell that to the millions living there dealing with 90+ degree days for much of the year (and more and more each year).

They also get plenty of humidity during the Arizona monsoon season months (August and September)

The mountains ringing the area (called the basin since it resembles the shape of a sink) stagnates the air and blocks in the smog that the tri-county area is so well known for.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
While ...
YnOhTnA, can you tell me which type of palm this is? Several variants looks some similar to me that I can't tell the difference. I'm assuming it's a Canary Island Date Palm, but I'm not positive.

If it is a Canary Island Date Palm, why do they seem to have so much variance to their looks. When you do a Google search of images, you see palms that look like they are different types but all say they are Canary Island Date Palms.

Essentially, I'm looking for something with this look to go by my pool, but I want to make sure it can handle our zone well. And since these trees are so expensive, I plan to buy small ones (four) and let them grow. So, I'm also afraid of getting ones that are so slow growing that it'll take 10 years before they get a decent size (10 ft are taller).
Attached Thumbnails
More palm trees in Houston?-palm.jpg  

Old 10-12-2015, 07:57 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
No logic behind that whatsoever. Palms aren't even native to Los Angeles, so, technically, they're more out of place than in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston