Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 10:19 PM

385 posts, read 440,898 times

Advertisements

So I have been a homeowner for 16 years as of Halloween, but we are renting a home in Richmond before buying. We are new to the area.

Any suggestions of things we should do or ask for during the walk-through/inventory? When I last rented, I took pictures, but maybe now I should video?

We are coming from a rural area so we have never lived in a gated community, in a house with central AC, in HOA, a home with an alarm. Are there questions we should ask that are specific to these items?

I got a list of electric companies that serve Sugar Land. Would those companies also service Richmond?

Who is the cable/internet provider (Canyon Gate)?

Anything I am missing?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 11:05 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Be sure and note anything marred or broken on your move-in inventory sheet. Pictures always help. Email the photos and inventory to the landlord - so you will have a record of when sent. It will say in your lease how many days you have to get it to them.

Go to www.powertochoose.org and plug in zip code. It will give you the electric providers for your area.

Ask the landlord who is currently monitoring the alarm. He should also be able to tell you who the cable provider is. You can also call the HOA for that info. If the community has a pool - most do - find out of you need a card or key to access it.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 PM

292 posts, read 1,066,899 times
As far as walk through I would write any and everything down or video. Be sure to try all appliances, ac, dishwasher& disposal, washing machine/dryer, check water pressure in toilets. Faucets and showers.

Many different power suppliers...Power To Choose | Home research to see which is best for you

Cable will be att Uverse or Comcast. Or dish but if that ask if you have to carry it on your renters insurance in case of damage

I would HIGHLY suggest renters insurance...stuff happens, best to protect yourself and your belongings. It's not that expensive to have and well worth it. Contact your car ins co or flip your homeowners to a renters

I would ask how quickly they may do repairs and if it needs to be in writing. Also ask of you have to pay for any portions of repairs

I work at an apt community so just a few things I would ask.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Be sure and note anything marred or broken on your move-in inventory sheet. Pictures always help. Email the photos and inventory to the landlord - so you will have a record of when sent. It will say in your lease how many days you have to get it to them.

Go to www.powertochoose.org and plug in zip code. It will give you the electric providers for your area.

Ask the landlord who is currently monitoring the alarm. He should also be able to tell you who the cable provider is. You can also call the HOA for that info. If the community has a pool - most do - find out of you need a card or key to access it.
Thanks!

I never thought about who the alarm company might be or if we'd need a key to access the pool. Will definitely ask about those.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB001 View Post
As far as walk through I would write any and everything down or video. Be sure to try all appliances, ac, dishwasher& disposal, washing machine/dryer, check water pressure in toilets. Faucets and showers.

Many different power suppliers...Power To Choose | Home research to see which is best for you

Cable will be att Uverse or Comcast. Or dish but if that ask if you have to carry it on your renters insurance in case of damage

I would HIGHLY suggest renters insurance...stuff happens, best to protect yourself and your belongings. It's not that expensive to have and well worth it. Contact your car ins co or flip your homeowners to a renters

I would ask how quickly they may do repairs and if it needs to be in writing. Also ask of you have to pay for any portions of repairs

I work at an apt community so just a few things I would ask.
Oh yeah. We are absolutely getting renter's insurance. No question.

I will remember to check to appliances and plumbing. You are right about those.

Such good advice. Thanks so much. We are so busy getting things ready to move, you just kind of forget these things. Too much to remember. Time to start a list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston