Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 08:18 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,754 times

Advertisements

LShadow: Is/was the smell chemical in nature, or exhaust/carbon, or excrement/poop, or natural gas, or smoke, or rotten food/garbage? Seems like if we had that information, it would be easier to pinpoint. Also, if there is an obvious wind direction when it is noticeable, that would help.

Timnwendy and westres1 above do point out a landfill and chemical plant. I'm sure someone could take all the information above - based on where it smells and doesn't smell - and put the pieces together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 03:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,499 times
Default Shadow Creek Ranch

Yes! The odor is becoming alarming!!! It has made me sick on a few occasions. It only happens at night and it is typically 1 night a week but has recently increased to 3-4 nights a week. I have reported this to TCEQ with no resolution and I just wrote to a reporter from the HoustonChronicle who just released an article about this a few days ago. Hopefully we will get some answers and resolution

Old 02-13-2016, 03:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
LShadow: Is/was the smell chemical in nature, or exhaust/carbon, or excrement/poop, or natural gas, or smoke, or rotten food/garbage? Seems like if we had that information, it would be easier to pinpoint. Also, if there is an obvious wind direction when it is noticeable, that would help.

Timnwendy and westres1 above do point out a landfill and chemical plant. I'm sure someone could take all the information above - based on where it smells and doesn't smell - and put the pieces together.
I've actually done a log of this before. My mother also lives in SCR and it is much worse by her home which is on the southwest end of the subdivision.

The smell is typically noticed between the hours of 11PM to 4AM. That being said, it is now 4:43AM and I am still smelling it. It is so pungent that it fills the house.

Although I do notice that it tends to be more prevelant during colder evenings, this isn't always the case. Wind doesn't seem to be a factor.

The odor is somewhat garbage like but at its most pungent it smells like burnoff/exhaust of some sort. Several years ago, during my first experience with the smell, I contacted centerpoint as I thought it was a gas leak in my home. The technician arrived quickly and said that he had been in the area all night long responding to calls of the same nature. I was clearly not the only person who thought in this direction.

Last edited by NDOUBLEG; 02-13-2016 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: Misspelling

Old 02-13-2016, 06:42 AM

56 posts, read 67,475 times
If you had to do it all again, would you buy your home there?

Old 02-13-2016, 08:11 AM

34 posts, read 44,356 times
Majority of complaints are on the west side of 288. Is the silverlake side safe or is it just still too close for comfort and should be avoided all together?

Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,071 times
I have several friends in Silverlake and none have talked about any odors. In fact, I think the east half of SCR is probably also safe from the odors.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imgnutopia View Post
Majority of complaints are on the west side of 288. Is the silverlake side safe or is it just still too close for comfort and should be avoided all together?
The silverlake side does NOT get this smell. I live in Southwyck and have never smelled this either. Not sure about the subdivisions closer to 288, but I have not heard complaints from friends who live in Southdown or Silver Creek or Southfork subdivisions.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:06 AM

65 posts, read 115,552 times
We live on the eastern side of SCR. We have only smelled anything that could have been landfill once. It was mid-December in the evening hours and only lasted about an hour. It happened when the winds from the northwest really picked up and a cold front blew in. We were actually out and about that night and smelled it on both sides of 288--near our home, HEB, and near the Target.

We did smell something one other time, but it was when there was a plant accident in La Porte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston