Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:02 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,505,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
its just that when I hear people talk about Houston it is always the same thing. OH IT IS SO HOT AND HUMID. Almost like it never ends. Like people walk around in the scorching heat all year long. I have a hard time believing that it is such an attractive location for so many businesses to relocate employees to if it is so miserable there.

^^^^^ This. IMO, it is not miserable. Even as a guy, I've noticed that my skin likes the humidity. A few years ago I was having a conversation with the oldest guy I've ever seen working at Home Depot (he could easily keep up with others ). A comment he made was so blunt...cracked me up. He meant it as a compliment to the women of Houston. He said that our women have skin that is as soft as a baby's bottom, and that the women of El Paso have skin that is more like leather.

Quote:
I have to admit, I really am intrigued by the ide of moving there. I love heat and don't mind humidity to some extent, but I could never live in a place like Orlando for example. Im not referring to thee winter humidity, Im strictly concerned about summer humidity. Cold and wet doesn't phase me one way or the other. I just don't want to have my physical activities impaired by muggy days for 6 months straight. so let me ask it like this and it may not sound like a fair comparison, but hear me out .

I've heard people who really, really dislike the humidity say they have to curtail their activities for as long as 4 months re a summer that is much hotter than normal, but not 6 months.

Quote:
Do you think living with Houston's Summer Humidity would be as bar, or worse, or much better than living in Minnesota's Winters?

Much better. Humidity doesn't have to be shoveled .

Quote:
I ask it like that because I am not a winter person at all even though I grew up in MN and I now that when the winter really sets in and the zero temps roll in with snow by the foot, I will literally hibernate until it goes away. I will leave the house only for work and food. I do not do anything for winter sports or actiities
LOL. If I had to live in Minnesota during such periods, I would probably do the same thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 PM

223 posts, read 261,839 times
'You don't have to shovel hot (or humidity)' is the best response to Yankees, especially Minnesotans, complaining about our glorious Texas weather

Old 02-09-2016, 12:22 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
Its been relatively dry the past few days and my skin is cracking on my hands. Please bring the humidity back. How do people live like this (outside of slathering lotion on like your Larry David)

Old 02-09-2016, 02:31 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,158 times
Back to the OP, I've lived in both Houston and the midlands/upstate areas of SC. To me, the summer heat and humidity in Houston is slightly worse than it is in Columbia, and noticeably worse than it is in Greenville. The big difference IMO is the length of time that the hot summer weather lasts in Houston. You can take the hottest summer weather in most of the Carolinas (outside of the mountainous areas of course) and add about 3-4 weeks to the beginning and the end, and that's the equivalent of a Houston summer. Not unusual to see high temps into the 90's in Houston well into October, at the same time it's in the 70's in most of SC.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:41 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,166 times
Oh look the latest sock puppet got banned again....

Old 02-11-2016, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Oh look the latest sock puppet got banned again....
City Data mods must be on a power trip.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:54 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,349 times
I dislike the 70 degree weather when it's humid and no breeze. It's hard to breath.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
You mentioned Florida. I lived in Orlando and Houston and Orlando are very similar for humidity however Houston does not get rain practically every afternoon like Orlando. I also think Houston winters are cooler and less humid than Orlando. I remember doing a company outing to Disney World in December it was in the 80s and super humid.
I spent a couple weeks in Orlando one December and it was in the 30s and really cold. You would have to look at averages. You get weeks with 70s in Houston from December to February. I've been at the beach at Galveston in February.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:38 PM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^ This. IMO, it is not miserable. Even as a guy, I've noticed that my skin likes the humidity. A few years ago I was having a conversation with the oldest guy I've ever seen working at Home Depot (he could easily keep up with others ). A comment he made was so blunt...cracked me up. He meant it as a compliment to the women of Houston. He said that our women have skin that is as soft as a baby's bottom, and that the women of El Paso have skin that is more like leather.

I've heard people who really, really dislike the humidity say they have to curtail their activities for as long as 4 months re a summer that is much hotter than normal, but not 6 months.

Much better. Humidity doesn't have to be shoveled .

LOL. If I had to live in Minnesota during such periods, I would probably do the same thing
We had an air conditioned stadium. We are the most air conditioned city in the world. If you aren't outside a lot, May-August is perfectly fine. The rest of the year is pretty nice inside or out.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:44 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Most summers it doesn't hit 100 all that often in Houston. Go a little bit further north and you see a lot more 100 degree days. If the summer is really dry it will be hotter. The Gulf moderates the heat but also makes the area humid.

Generally, there are about 3-4 months of consistent 90 degree plus temperatures here and about the same amount of time where the daytime low doesn't dip below 70. Then there are another 3 months or so where the highs are in the 80s. The locals will tell you that daytime highs in the 80s are "autumn" weather.

TL;DR version: Not too many 100 degree days. 3-4 months in the 90s. Another 3 months in the 80s. All told, I think the temperatures are pleasant about 5 months out of the year. Since you like hot, then you will probably be content longer.
Yes, Conroe and Huntsville have higher summer temperatures, over 100, up to 110!. Same with west of Dallas, highs into 105s for days. East of Dallas temps are a bit lower, but more humid. Houston is more humid like here in Dothan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston