Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:21 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times

Advertisements

Briargrove Park/Walnut Bend/Lakeside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 11:29 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
Descent suggestion. ^^^^
Not BGP but maybe Walnut or Lakeside if they can up the budget a little.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:19 PM

21 posts, read 30,683 times
Thanks guys again.

Looks like Jersey village, walnut, and lakeside is really good in terms of schools and distance but they are at least 15 years old.

I guess there are no newer homes built around those area?

Old 05-27-2016, 12:28 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Why not Pearland or Stafford? Commute should not be that bad. Also Oak Forest area recently had plenty of houses within 300K budget, and this is kind of super popular area here on this forum.
You should consider Pearland.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:36 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moojaabee View Post
Thanks guys again.

Looks like Jersey village, walnut, and lakeside is really good in terms of schools and distance but they are at least 15 years old.

I guess there are no newer homes built around those area?
David Weekley is building a community of homes directly across from the Park & Ride at 290 and West Rd in your price range, but they are really like patio homes to me and they don't have the better schools in the area.

Enclave at Castlebridge Houston TX Home Builder, New Homes | David Weekley Homes

There are a couple of communities along Jones Rd in Jersey Village that are newer, but they are in the high 200's and 300's

Old 05-28-2016, 09:10 AM

567 posts, read 1,622,675 times
My brother just moved to a neighborhood off West Rd and Gessner. Forgot the name. Good schools (Gleason Elementary) and decently priced. Problem is that it's 290 commute heading downtown. It might work out eventually but for now not.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:00 AM

385 posts, read 440,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
...My friends who work in the Galleria area have a hellish commute regardless of whether it is Katy, Jersey Village, Pearland, Sugar Land (best suburban option IMO), etc. It is more like an hour and a half to 2 hours if a really bad day. Most either get to work between 9-9:30am and leave after 6:30-7pm or get in at 6:30am and leave no later than 4:30pm in order to avoid the worst traffic. Sugar Land may be closest to an hour and 15 min commute max. There is a Trek (not sure on exact name) private bus service from Sugar Land to several major Galleria area employers (multiple stops at each one).
If you come SW down 59, pick a community near the highway, and avoid Hwy 6 in Sugar Land.

I live in Richmond where 59 and 99 meet. I work in Midtown. I work 6:30a-3:30p. My commute in the morning is 20mins door to door. My commute home is 35 mins because I take the 59 toll road. Well worth the $2.25 a day. I work from home on Mondays so I only do that commute on Tues-Fri.

I have never had a commute even approaching a hour unless I don't take the toll road coming home. I never need to take the toll road in the morning unless there some ridiculous accident at or around the 610/59 interchange.

If you want a new/er home, I'd definitely come this way. The 10, 290, 45 and 59 north of Houston have ridiculous commutes in comparison. That is why we moved out here (we relocated from the NE). Less traffic, fewer accidents, great schools for the most part, and a broad selection of homes. Anything in the top school districts sell fast though so don't hesitate if you find the place you like.

Good luck

Old 05-30-2016, 12:47 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
naadarien, I had to do some mapping because you are way out there and your stated time of 20 minutes seems implausible to me, namely because that is the time it takes me to get downtown without traffic and I am traveling only half the distance. For you to go 26 miles in 20 minutes (door to door!) requires absolutely no traffic and/or an average speed of 78 mph. You would also have to practically work and live right on top of the freeway, which is a whole other concern.

Google maps says the average time at 6am to travel that stretch is 30-40 minutes.

But, regarding the OP's desire for new construction, one will have to commute from the hinterlands for it without the budget to scrape & build closer in. It's all relative though. My 20 year old home in Houston is quite new compared to my 116 year old home in Seattle.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:47 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwrath View Post
I live in katy and commute to the galleria. Takes about 45 min-1hr each way. I have done it for several years and used to it.

Summer traffic is upon is and now my commute should be 15-30 minutes each way.

I look at the bright side: This is ME time. I can call family on the way home to catch up, listen to podcasts/radio/audiobooks.

Sorry the commute from Katy to the galleria is never 15 minutes unless it's via helicopter

Old 05-30-2016, 08:55 PM

309 posts, read 246,440 times
I do similar commute
Live in Katy (Silver ranch) and work in Galleria but have flexible hours and multiple options.

Option 1: Leave house around 6:00 A.M. via westpark and takes no more than 30 mins to galleria. On the way back, start at 4:00 P.M. and home by 4:45. This is via Metro van that my office provides

Option 2: Whenever i drive my own, usually leave home around 8:15 A.M. and reach office by 9:00. On the way back, leave office around 6:15 and home by 7:00.

I have some friends who live in sugarland, Aliana, Pearland etc and 45 min commute is pretty standard so Katy is not that bad if you have some flexibility
However if you commute during rush hours, then 1:15 hr is a pretty standard time from katy to Galleria.

We were looking for a new house in same price range as yours with good school districts and Katy checked all the boxes.

Good luck with your purchase
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston