Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Non-stop flights from Houston to Havana
This IS a big deal 22 52.38%
This is NOT a big deal 10 23.81%
This is a medium deal 8 19.05%
Undecided 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:25 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Wow United actually doing something for Houston.
I realize you're being sarcastic, but United is no different than any other big business. It does what benefits United. They aren't doing this for Houston, they're doing it because it makes business sense.

I've been quick to bash United in the past (and in this forum), as I think they are short-sighted in many regards, but lately they seem to be headed in a much better direction. I can only assume it's due to the new CEO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It's still not open for tourism, so this isn't a big deal. You can go for educational purposes, visiting family, participating in an event or sporting competition, or journalism. That's it.
ANYTHING is educational. I have a friend who just went, he declared it was for educational purposes, and didn't even have to show or prove anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
It doesn't work that way. Cuba is not an open skies market and it probably never will be. That means, United has to ask for frequencies. United is only flying it weekly because thats all it asked for. United cannot just increase it at will. All the frequencies are claimed. Another carrier would have to give up their own frequencies or United would have to reduce Newark-Havana to give Houston-Havana frequencies which won't happen.

Bottom line is that it won't grow to daily because it can't grow to daily. All frequencies are spoken for.
You realize they asked for weekly, because that's all they were going to get? If they asked for daily, they would have been refused, and ended up with nothing. So they asked for weekly, knowing it's a possibility. And it worked.

And this is today. Tomorrow may lead to more slots, and more flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 10:33 PM

9,906 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
It doesn't work that way. Cuba is not an open skies market and it probably never will be. That means, United has to ask for frequencies. United is only flying it weekly because thats all it asked for. United cannot just increase it at will. All the frequencies are claimed. Another carrier would have to give up their own frequencies or United would have to reduce Newark-Havana to give Houston-Havana frequencies which won't happen.

Bottom line is that it won't grow to daily because it can't grow to daily. All frequencies are spoken for.
You realize the DOT isn't going to keep the same amount of frequencies allowed the same for the rest of time. The DOT is subject to increase (and possibly even decrease) frequencies, in which United could pick up for Houston or use for another city.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You realize the DOT isn't going to keep the same amount of frequencies allowed the same for the rest of time. The DOT is subject to increase (and possibly even decrease) frequencies, in which United could pick up for Houston or use for another city.
I'm well aware of that but new markets take preference.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:42 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,795,438 times
If you have a chance to go to Cuba please do it. Is a beautiful place. I have several passports so I can travel there just fine. I am also considering purchasing real estate in Cuba if the system is more open. Cuban people are absolutely awesome.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:10 PM

766 posts, read 1,255,012 times
Just so y'all know, if you have an American passport the customs people will not stamp you and just let you through. At least that's how it worked when I went in January. You don't really need an official reason or permission to go, just go if you want to.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:03 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
I'm well aware of that but new markets take preference.
What about the connecting flights that will basically be coming in from every United passenger west of the Mississippi who wants to go to Cuba? It seems to me this could be a market that may exhibit explosive growth, especially if it is as easy as people say to sidestep the tourist restriction. I do have to wonder though, if there are any Hotels worth staying in on the island, and what that capacity would be and of course will our own Government allow real growth until "reforms" are made in Cuba ?

Old 07-11-2016, 02:07 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
What about the connecting flights that will basically be coming in from every United passenger west of the Mississippi who wants to go to Cuba? It seems to me this could be a market that may exhibit explosive growth, especially if it is as easy as people say to sidestep the tourist restriction. I do have to wonder though, if there are any Hotels worth staying in on the island, and what that capacity would be and of course will our own Government allow real growth until "reforms" are made in Cuba ?
That's why this is a big deal. Bush is the United hub for this part of the country. People connect here coming from all over, and going to all over. For example, I fly to Colorado all the time. When I chat up people on the flight, they have often flown here from {South America}{Mex & CA}{other parts of TX}{all over this part of US} to connect to CO.

And now they will fly here to get to Cuba!

I think our government will allow as much "growth" towards Cuba as it can, regardless of reforms. Unless a conservative, beholden to the Cuban expat community, president is elected.

And why not? One of the best ways to foster democracy, or at least understanding of our way of life, is to allow Americans to flood a country. Ok, not flood, but you get my gist.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:02 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Astros sign Yulieski Gourriel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yulieski_Gourriel
He will be able to fly home non-stop from IAH

Old 12-07-2016, 04:19 PM

The flight began. Now Houston is only missing direct flights to 3 countries in Latin America: Paraguay, Uruguay, and Bolivia. Only Miami has passed this milestone, flying to Bolivia and Uruguay, but still missing Paraguay.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:32 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: