Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:01 PM

277 posts, read 305,094 times

Advertisements

I've usually bought Whirlpool..but am open to Maytag, not really impressed with LG or Samsung...we have option of using gas dryer, should we do that here since Electric bills seem to offer lower rates at times? Any tips would be appreciated! Any places locally to avoid buying or recommendations to buy from a certain vendor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 05:26 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
I've usually bought Whirlpool..but am open to Maytag, not really impressed with LG or Samsung...we have option of using gas dryer, should we do that here since Electric bills seem to offer lower rates at times? Any tips would be appreciated! Any places locally to avoid buying or recommendations to buy from a certain vendor?
Definitely gas.

If you buy from Costco, you essentially have the best warranty ever.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Definitely gas.

If you buy from Costco, you essentially have the best warranty ever.
They seemed like much more washer/dryer than we would use...only one pair option available at Costco near us...wonder if I should shop online for more styles? I just want to wash clothes, not plan a trip to outer space...these new fangled ones seem to have way too many options...we've been a clean v. dirty family, not a separate compartment for 'gentle' and steam options...Our last were the Whirlpool Cabrio...liked them but because coins found their way into the motors, I had to replace two motors (easy, but time consuming)...with most our kids in college, I hope the coin issue is past.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:38 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,276 times
Definitely a gas dryer!

A longtime appliance repairman here currently advises his clients to buy major appliances with as few fancy "extras" as possible. The reason: they use computerized controls which tend to fail long before the mechanical parts do. Plus, the circuits are difficult to troubleshoot and can be very expensive to replace.

You might want to check some of the "scratch and dent" outlets in our area -- there's one for GE only but the Sears Outlet stores carry many major brands. The merchandise may (or may not) have small blemishes but all are factory warranted.

Some Best Buy stores, Home Depot and Lowe's all carry major appliances and have frequent sales. They also do special orders.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:27 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,591 times
As a former all Whirlpool house for washer and dryer, I would strongly advise to do your research. The old appliances from about a decade ago were great but the modern current lines are not what they used to be. Talking to a couple of repairman and doing my own research, LG and Kenmore Elite (LG) washer and dryers are the top rated units by a fairly large margin. We just replaced a 12 year old Whirlpool front loader that was starting to act up with a Kenmore Elite and couldn't be happier. The old Whirlpool dryer is 12 years old and kicking. One common thing we were told by just about everyone was to avoid Samsung. Besides a couple of design choices that make you go huh, they were low on the customer satisfaction ratings. We bought the 5 year Sears warranty while it was half off so we're covered with piece of mind. These things aren't cheap!

Old 08-21-2016, 07:44 PM

Well, I was on a limited time frame with moving in on Wednesday...found a Whirlpool combo for under 1k that left off all the steam options..I figured if I get 10 years out of them, I'll be happy and by then there will be more energy efficient options anyway...now the issue is I got such a great deal (no taxes, no delivery fee, $250 less than Sears/Home Depot/Lowes).the kicker, I get to install them I've done electric several times...but not gas...so I'm off to look up videos on youtube...I do know to turn off the breaker and the gas...so I'm halfway there, right? I checked all the reviews and these were the highest rated with over 1k reviews for each...excited and hoping the movers won't mind me borrowing their wheelie to move them into the laundry room

Old 08-21-2016, 08:20 PM

860 posts, read 1,586,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
Well, I was on a limited time frame with moving in on Wednesday...found a Whirlpool combo for under 1k that left off all the steam options..I figured if I get 10 years out of them, I'll be happy and by then there will be more energy efficient options anyway...now the issue is I got such a great deal (no taxes, no delivery fee, $250 less than Sears/Home Depot/Lowes).the kicker, I get to install them I've done electric several times...but not gas...so I'm off to look up videos on youtube...I do know to turn off the breaker and the gas...so I'm halfway there, right? I checked all the reviews and these were the highest rated with over 1k reviews for each...excited and hoping the movers won't mind me borrowing their wheelie to move them into the laundry room
You'll probably have to buy installation kits for both the washer and the dryer so the connections are up to code. Just don't use a flexible foil dryer exhaust tube. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2016, 10:08 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
I'm a little late for you, but in the interests of people reading this thread in the future...

ALWAYS use a gas dryer if you have that option. Even at today's historically low electric prices, gas dryers cost about 1/3 as much to run as an electric dryer. And in pricey times, that can be as much as 1/10 the cost of electric.

Gas dryers typically cost $40-$100 more than electric. The payback is a year or two, max. Go with natural gas.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:33 AM

I was happy to go with gas, we've never had that option....it will be so nice to have a low utility bill!

Old 08-22-2016, 11:54 AM

50 posts, read 56,245 times
I have gotten all of my appliances at Acceptance Appliance.

They sell only GE products and they are supposedly 'scratch and dent' but I have never found a defect in anything I have bought there (Fridge x 2, washer & (gas) dryer).

The prices seemed to be decent there but not a total steal... really the best deals on appliances are buying them used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston