Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 07:24 AM

986 posts, read 1,272,160 times

Advertisements

txdemo - how is the lawn? I just noticed they have moved into my backyard too, now, so I need to do something. Just trying to figure out if I should spray myself or just call someone. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 07:43 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
If you do not want to go organic just buy the Spectracide brand Triazicide insect killer....hook it to your hose and spray your yard. It kills on contact.

To break the egg/larve cycle follow it up with another treatment in 7-10 days. I prefer to use the granular for the second treatment. Its faster.

Its a good time to do this anyway as the grubs are about to become very active, and if you have grubs, they kill the yard faster than anything else. The granular has a longer lasting residual. If you get a heavy rain within 36 hours of application you should reapply.

I had these dang moths bad...one day none, the next day thousands....Its taken about 10 days, but I believe the problem is under control now.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:53 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
I spoke to my neighborhoods pest guy last night about this. He recommends Talstar granules as it can work its way down where the larvae and worms burrow.
Once that is watered in a topical spray with permethian will help with the moths. It is important to focus on any shrubs or ground cover as that is where the moths will hang out when not hovering over your lawn laying eggs.
He also mentioned they are very hard to get rid of and the moths will come back especially if your neighbors have them.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:13 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
txdemo - how is the lawn? I just noticed they have moved into my backyard too, now, so I need to do something. Just trying to figure out if I should spray myself or just call someone. Thanks.
No luck with one application of Thuricide. I've been waiting to do a second application because its been threatening to rain for a few days.

I'd recommend going to Solutions if you don't mind using pesticides. I'm considering using the pesticides on the front lawn and the Thuricide in the back.

Or, may just let them take over since they don't actually kill the grass and it will come back next Spring.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:00 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
No luck with one application of Thuricide. I've been waiting to do a second application because its been threatening to rain for a few days.

I'd recommend going to Solutions if you don't mind using pesticides. I'm considering using the pesticides on the front lawn and the Thuricide in the back.

Or, may just let them take over since they don't actually kill the grass and it will come back next Spring.
I would not let them take over as they do sufficient damage to the grass to allow other diseases and insects such as brown spot, chinch bugs, grubs, etc to do the final damage and kill the yard off.

The pesticides I mentioned are working on my yard, but much of the damage is done.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I would not let them take over as they do sufficient damage to the grass to allow other diseases and insects such as brown spot, chinch bugs, grubs, etc to do the final damage and kill the yard off.

The pesticides I mentioned are working on my yard, but much of the damage is done.
I didn't think of that. Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:12 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
I hate putting chemicals on my lawn, but in this case, there's no getting around the fact that the goal is to kill a whole lotta bugs. I guess I have to go nuclear with apologies to the rest of the food chain... I saw wasps digging up the little worms and eating them (gross but interesting), and a toad hopping along on the grass... I really do feel badly about these other animals, and maybe I'll start thinking about replacing more of the lawn with other plants, but without thousands of dollars to invest in landscaping at the moment, it's time to fix my lawn!

Old 09-16-2016, 12:04 PM

986 posts, read 1,272,160 times
We have about a hundred geckos living in our backyard. Is this gonna kill them?

Old 09-16-2016, 01:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times
I have so many lizards in my yard too. I can only assume they are drawn to the moths but am not going t wait and find out. I had my lawn treated.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
We have about a hundred geckos living in our backyard. Is this gonna kill them?
We have a BUNCH of lizards but they hang out in the garden and they don't traipse around the lawn. I'm going to treat the lawn with the bad stuff and cross my fingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston