Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 07:18 AM

277 posts, read 305,132 times

Advertisements

I've been to HEB a few times, do you spell it out or say "Heb" or "HEEB"...any sorts, I am a bit overwhelmed at the variety of food options I've never seen before...geez, your bbq sauce aisle has about 30 labels I've never encountered. My husband loves Major Dickinson's (Peets) coffee, but then found this amazing coffee "Texas Pecan" at the church we've visited...when a church has a pretty good brand of coffee...that's pretty remarkable...
What other labels are your faves? He's at HEB right now and we have to wait until Sunday to restock the Pecan coffee so I told him to just look on the shelf and see what other labels on the shelf look like they're low on stock and we'll try it. Any favorite foods that are regional to this area?
I did try the pre-seasoned fajita beef in the meat section, that was really really good!!
Tried some Texas brand salsa, it was decent..but so many more to choose from!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 AM

447 posts, read 488,348 times
You spell it out.:-)

I really like almost all products from Central Market, most of it natural or organic. I drink only Turkish coffee, or sometimes instant, love their instant organic coffee, such a smooth taste.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:38 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,810,689 times
Definitely check out Central Market. It's a fancy pants HEB.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the pronunciation tip, my neighbor from Boston called it "Heb" and that just didn't sound right Not even sure I've tried Turkish coffee...now I need to!

dh just got back, H.E.B. does not have Peets?? AACK! They said we could request it, If y'all haven't had Peets, either you just have really good coffee or you're missing out! He did get Cameron's Organic coffee Nicaraguan coffee because it only had one bag left...and some other Texas Pecan brew...they also don't carry our Purina One flavor for our dog food...when I asked HEB to carry it, he said there was no way he could get it, my dogs eat the beef and rice, all other flavors they won't touch...I can't believe they'd carry 'lamb' and rice and not beef and rice...how many times a year do you eat lamb? Sigh. They have another brand for allergies...so not sure why the lamb is able to be stocked and not the beef...went to five stores before we found a bag at PetSmart...it's always been at every grocery/Target/Walmart we've ever shopped...hmmmm

Old 09-08-2016, 07:48 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,511 times
You can find Peets at Target and I think Randall's. There is also a Peet's coffee at Hobby Airport from what I remember.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:57 AM

21 posts, read 27,184 times
I love HEB! We don't have them in Chicago, but we usually get/bring back the following:

HEB flour tortillas (the ones that are made on site - not out of the aisle!) I don't think all HEBs have them, but man they are soooo delish!

Whataburger's Spicy Ketchup - This has become like crack to me! It's such a tasty ketchup!

HEB brand coffee - San Antonio blend. I actually don't drink coffee, but my mom LOVES this and we always buy it for her when in town.

Locals might side eye my little list, but those are my suggestions and what we get in bulk before we leave. And, you're right! HEB has sooo much stuff we've never seen or heard of, we love it!!

Old 09-08-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-heart_TxStateofmind View Post
I love HEB! We don't have them in Chicago, but we usually get/bring back the following:

HEB flour tortillas (the ones that are made on site - not out of the aisle!) I don't think all HEBs have them, but man they are soooo delish!

Whataburger's Spicy Ketchup - This has become like crack to me! It's such a tasty ketchup!

HEB brand coffee - San Antonio blend. I actually don't drink coffee, but my mom LOVES this and we always buy it for her when in town.

Locals might side eye my little list, but those are my suggestions and what we get in bulk before we leave. And, you're right! HEB has sooo much stuff we've never seen or heard of, we love it!!
Yes! Those tortillas are in my fridge right now Amazing!!

Need to try the ketchup, making meatloaf tonight...might just tex it up a bit

I miss my rotel can of tomatoes/peppers...hoping to find those, but it's funny how regional grocery stores are!

Glad for the clarification on Central Market, I thought it was a brand carried in HEB...will see if there is one around here...bet there's on in Vintage Park? It seems more upscale area, but I've never been a fan of Whole Foods/Fresh Market/Earth Fare...way overpriced and not that impressed with the quality of their fresh foods...so far HEB has had great produce that lasts me a good week...

Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,538 times
You can get Peet's at Kroger too or order it online at Costco although I can't remember offhand what type of Peet's they carry.

This is just an FYI, nothing more, nothing less.. Purina One SmartBlend Dog Food | Review | Rating | Recalls

It seems you are settling into the area well. Good to hear!

Old 09-08-2016, 09:04 AM

986 posts, read 1,273,316 times
You can get Rotel at any of grocery store, including HEB. I usually get the Hill Country Fare house brand stuff whenever they have it -- so far, so good.

Also, you might hear people say "Heeb" but it's in jest. Kind of like calling Target "Tar-ʒay."

Last edited by PinkLadyK; 09-08-2016 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-08-2016, 10:07 AM

860 posts, read 1,586,497 times
Houston is a foodie's paradise!

HEB is my favorite grocery store. Their private brand frozen veggies (in one-pound bags), dairy products and food storage items are excellent -- canned goods, too!

Kroger (Fred Meyer) grocery stores in Houston are also popular. Their store loyalty card will save you money, as will Randall's (Safeway).

HEB, Kroger and Randall's post weekly grocery ads and coupons online every Wednesday.

Pace Picante and Pace Salsa (made in Texas) are always in my pantry or fridge. We use it in place of ketchup. The mild picante, plus a little brown sugar and prepared mustard, makes a good sauce in which to bake chicken breasts (serve over rice).

Note: Do NOT shop at Central Market on weekends or just before a major holiday! Take the ice chest when you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston