Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 10:57 AM

352 posts, read 778,395 times

Advertisements

What is this garbage? We live in Galveston county and use Texas New Mexico Power for delivery and Reliant as the utility company.

Our bill in July was pretty high so we intentionally decreased usage for August and Sept. We opened up windows and turned off lights and air during the day among other things.

This has dropped our utility usage dramatically almost 60%. I login and our bill for September is highest its ever been.
This is because delivery charge is higher than our actual usage by two fold. I chat with customer service and they tell me that Texas New Mexico increased their pricing.

Is there no regulation against this? This seems like highway robbery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 12:41 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
It's called deregulation for a reason!

When you go through the ton of power plans to choose from at power to choose.org, you will notice that some plans cover the pass through charges and others do not.

So you might have a plan that's 7 cents/ kWh + pass through charges. Or another plan that is 10 cents per kWh that includes pass through charges. Which is the cheaper plan? Quite possibly it is the 10 cent per kWh.

Always be sure to read the electricity facts label. Don't base a decision on the advertised price per kWh.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM

352 posts, read 778,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
It's called deregulation for a reason!

When you go through the ton of power plans to choose from at power to choose.org, you will notice that some plans cover the pass through charges and others do not.

So you might have a plan that's 7 cents/ kWh + pass through charges. Or another plan that is 10 cents per kWh that includes pass through charges. Which is the cheaper plan? Quite possibly it is the 10 cent per kWh.

Always be sure to read the electricity facts label. Don't base a decision on the advertised price per kWh.
Oh wow Ok did not know that. We dont have this where I come from in Florida.

Since my plan doesnt have an ETF fee then I can leave when I want.

Ill look into a new plan

Old 09-15-2016, 01:27 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Check out Energy Ogre. They charge $10 a month and will find you the best plan. They automatically sign you up (with your permission) for the best plan whenever it's time to renew.

I'm not smart enough to figure out all the fees etc so it's worth $10 a month for them to do the work for me. I signed up 2 months ago and saved 35% this month.

https://www.energyogre.com/

Old 09-15-2016, 01:57 PM

225 posts, read 520,048 times
$120 a year to have someone sign you up for electricity???

Old 09-15-2016, 02:01 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by right View Post
$120 a year to have someone sign you up for electricity???
Yep. It's worth it to me. Maybe not to you.

Donate your $120 to the Trump foundation.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:26 PM

682 posts, read 1,942,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
What is this garbage? We live in Galveston county and use Texas New Mexico Power for delivery and Reliant as the utility company.

Our bill in July was pretty high so we intentionally decreased usage for August and Sept. We opened up windows and turned off lights and air during the day among other things.

This has dropped our utility usage dramatically almost 60%. I login and our bill for September is highest its ever been.
This is because delivery charge is higher than our actual usage by two fold. I chat with customer service and they tell me that Texas New Mexico increased their pricing.

Is there no regulation against this? This seems like highway robbery.

Depending on what plan you have, lower usage can cost you more than higher usage since some companies actually charge a fee for going under a certain amount. You need to compare the rates at which level of power you expect to use and find a plan that fits that. I rarely use over 1,000kwh and for several months of the year run in the 400-700kwh range so I look for plans that have the lowest rates at 500 and 1000kwh. I see in another post you mentioned you don't have an ETF, that usually means you are on a month to month plan which is the worst to have. I've never found a plan that had a term (6, 12, 24mo etc) that didn't have an ETF. www.powertochoose.org

Old 09-15-2016, 03:31 PM

264 posts, read 442,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Check out Energy Ogre. They charge $10 a month and will find you the best plan. They automatically sign you up (with your permission) for the best plan whenever it's time to renew.

I'm not smart enough to figure out all the fees etc so it's worth $10 a month for them to do the work for me. I signed up 2 months ago and saved 35% this month.

https://www.energyogre.com/
I second this. It is worth every penny. It more than made up the $120/year in one month's time.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:33 PM

676 posts, read 932,164 times
I peronally just use Champion. They have been great. Lower rates and less fees than reliant and txu, plus their customer service is in Houston, not India.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 AM

186 posts, read 209,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbywayof View Post
I second this. It is worth every penny. It more than made up the $120/year in one month's time.
This guy will do it for nothing.

Zach Axelrod
713-443-5610

It's who we use to find us cheapest electricity. My boss referred me to him. We've referred him to a friend who just moved here from Mississippi and she's been happy with his help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston