Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 03:50 PM

84 posts, read 294,306 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I need some information about a city outside of Houston. My family and I may be moving to Houston in the near future. I don't want to live in Houston, but thought a suburb would be nice since that's what we're accustomed to. A "friend" is suggesting Sugarland. I never heard of this city, so right away I think it is in the middle of nowhere with nothing to offer. When I researched houses...boy! U get alot for your money! (we currently live in Southern CA and get very little for ALOT of money). The city looks nice/clean from pictures I have seen posted on this web site. The population type is majority Asian and Caucasian which is fine with me because we are a biracial family of the two mentioned. I just don't know much about the area. My husband and I are in our 40s, are both in the medical profession field, and we have a teenage daughter. Our future job employment would be in Houston. I heard shopping is great in Houston. So, is Sugarland a good city to live in? What about weather? Friendliness of the people? Things to do?

Can anyone answer any of these questions? Any feedback would be great.

Thank you,

Ghost123
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:32 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,998,903 times
This question probably been asked at least 100 times here as SL is one of the big 3 suburbs in Houston. Do a search in this forum and then come back with more specific questions if you still can't found the answers.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:51 PM

270 posts, read 408,569 times
Also keep in mind as you research that unlike many cities Houston isn't neatly surrounded by separate suburban municipalities. This is due to a very aggressive annexation policy over the decades.

What you probably define as a "suburb" exists within the city limits in many places. For example, both Kingwood and Clear Lake are most definitely middle class suburbs, 30 miles from downtown, but both are within Houston city limits.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:00 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,677,036 times
Sugar Land is great. We love it here. Like ipuck said, it has been discussed ad nauseum in this board though. But it is a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:06 PM

155 posts, read 151,424 times
Sugar Land (two words) is a diverse, generally upscale area with good shopping and restaurants within the city. The people are generally friendly (at least in my experience). I've lived here happily for nearly 25 years and have watched the city grow. We have our own baseball team, the Sugar Land Skeeters, and a new performing arts center will open in January. You are quite close enough to take advantage of the museums, restaurants, and abundant cultural opportunities in Houston. Many people in Sugar Land work in the Texas Medical Center.

Houston has extremely humid summers, with temperatures in the high 90s. Summer isn't over yet. In the winter, temps below 30 are unusual; some years we don't have a hard freeze. Our last hurricane was in 2008, but you never know...I lived in So. Cal. for seven years, and at least you know when a hurricane is coming, unlike an earthquake!

Old 09-20-2016, 06:36 AM

392 posts, read 321,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbheeler View Post
Sugar Land (two words) is a diverse, generally upscale area with good shopping and restaurants within the city. The people are generally friendly (at least in my experience). I've lived here happily for nearly 25 years and have watched the city grow. We have our own baseball team, the Sugar Land Skeeters, and a new performing arts center will open in January. You are quite close enough to take advantage of the museums, restaurants, and abundant cultural opportunities in Houston.
In addition to the above listed, there are bike trails, large dog park at Memorial Park, Brazos River kayak launch pad, and coming soon, a new water park for Dragon and paddle boats. For some West Coast folks, the City has a Costco to make them feel like back home.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 6,191 times
Sugarlandbubba, where is the water park going to be in Sugar Land?

Old 09-20-2016, 09:42 AM

469 posts, read 1,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara1234 View Post
Sugarlandbubba, where is the water park going to be in Sugar Land?
I believe all that is by Memorial Park. That whole area on the other side of University Blvd opposite the Smart Financial Centre is being developed into a festival grounds.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
Default Welcome Neighbor

I am also a So Cal transplant (born and raised). Relocated my family 15 years ago and never looked back. Aside from our once per year pilgrimage to visit our family in California. I live in the Greatwood development. Your real estate agent will know it well. My neighbors are our best friends. Kids are all good kids and they play together. The public schools are great. No crime. And I took my California money bought a house twice the size for half the cost. Lastly, the value of the homes appreciate every year. I Love Sugar Land.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:25 PM

698 posts, read 846,016 times
I live in Sugar Land, and love it......we are also a bi racial family. Sugar Land has large Asian and South Asian Communities, and has easy access to China Town. Its just over an hour to the beaches at Freeport and Galveston. There are a lot of corporate people moving in and out, so a great many people who live here are from elsewhere.

What separates Sugar land from some of teh other communities is that its a full developed community, with a decent amount of stores, restaurants etc....some communities like Katy built out too quickly, and the ratio of homes to services and stores is still a bit out of whack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston