Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:00 AM

26 posts, read 37,309 times

Advertisements

We're looking at a possible relocation and would be living in Friendswood. I understand that the public schools are excellent there. My children have always been in Christian school and we absolutely love their school. It's EXTREMELY challenging academically; they've been a Blue Ribbon school, and they've earned the Apple Distinguished title for the past 5 years. Of course, where we live now, the public schools are horrible, so most families choose private and that keeps the private schools on their toes because they have to stay competitive.

While we're open to the public schools in Friendswood, I still would like to check out Bay Area Christian School as another possibility. We are a conservative Christian family, and would like to keep our children in Christian schools, but only if the academics are top-notch. I've searched on here, but only found a smattering of results for this school, most of which are years old.

So...can anyone tell me about BACS? How do the academics compare to the schools in FISD? What's the culture of the school like? If you've considered it for your own children, why did or didn't you end up choosing it?

Also, does anyone know if they teach Latin? It's my older daughter's favorite subject and while I understand that it's not really a necessity in a child's education, she really enjoys it, and her being able to continue would be a big plus.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 08:48 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,275,785 times
I have never heard anything about Bay Area Christian school, but I do know people that go to that church where the school is situated. They send their kids to public school. Friendswood is going to be about as good as it gets. Clear Creek ISD is not too far behind. I'm not too fond of US News rankings, but if you are looking at ballpark figures:

Friendswood High listed in Top 30 of 5A/4A Best High schools by US News and World Report - Houston Chronicle

I'm not sure if Friendswood offers Latin, but the Clear Creek ISD schools do.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I have never heard anything about Bay Area Christian school, but I do know people that go to that church where the school is situated. They send their kids to public school. Friendswood is going to be about as good as it gets. Clear Creek ISD is not too far behind. I'm not too fond of US News rankings, but if you are looking at ballpark figures:

Friendswood High listed in Top 30 of 5A/4A Best High schools by US News and World Report - Houston Chronicle

I'm not sure if Friendswood offers Latin, but the Clear Creek ISD schools do.

Thank you! Choosing a school from a distance is a difficult thing to do, but if many members of the church choose the public school system, that's telling.

Am I understanding correctly (from reading on here!) that CCISD isn't thought to be quite as good as FISD? If that's true, what's the difference between the two school districts and their reputations? I've checked them out on Great Schools, and it seems there are plenty of elementary and middle schools in CCISD that have great ratings. Only one high school has a 9, then the others have 7's. However, there are plenty of lower-rated elementary and middle schools in CCISD, as well.

Whereas FISD appears to be a much smaller district, having only has 1 high school (do I have that correct?). And all but one school has either a 9 or a 10 rating.

So, would I be correct to assume that it's all about where you live inside of CCISD and not so much looking across the district as a whole? How often (if ever) do they re-zone the districts? For example, if we buy a home that is zoned for the best high school in Clear Creek, can we be sure that by the time our girls get to HS (they are currently 6th and Kindergarten), that they'll still be zoned into that school? I guess that's the strength of living inside of FISD...it seems that it doesn't much matter where you live...your kids will be going to a good school.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:17 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,269,700 times
I grew up in Friendswood, have a great deal of family still in Friendswood, and also own rental properties in Friendswood....I maintain lots of friends/famliy/connections to the town and keep up with it.

Friendswood is a significantly more challenging school than Bay Area Christian, academically. It is also a much larger school. I would not hesitate to send my kids to Friendswood for a second. Also, Friendswood is a very conservative christian town. Many of the students at Friendswood are very active in their church and young life. I think you will find Friendswood public schools meet your needs quite well. While there is no public school prayers, the schools host lots of prayer breakfasts, and church groups all the time.

As to Friendswood vs CCISD. Friendswood scores better than CCISD in all metrics except for diversity. When it comes to school zones, everyone feeds into Friendswood high school. It is the only high school. CCISD has more than one, and Zones do change. Not frequently, but there are no guarantees of school zoning. This is controlled by the school board.

Pearland, also touching Friendswood, recently opened a new high school, and rezoned....there were lots of folks very upset with the schools they were zoned to after the move.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:19 AM

509 posts, read 736,696 times
The best high school in CCISD is going to be pretty close to the high school in Friendswood. Anything is possible with school rezoning, however.

I would encourage you to think very hard about what you'll be giving up by switching to public school, however. My kids attend a small Christian school where the other families, teachers and administration really walk the walk every day. Every teacher, no matter the grade level, knows my kids well. I would never give that up, just because a public option has a track record of good average standardized scores.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
The best high school in CCISD is going to be pretty close to the high school in Friendswood. Anything is possible with school rezoning, however.

I would encourage you to think very hard about what you'll be giving up by switching to public school, however. My kids attend a small Christian school where the other families, teachers and administration really walk the walk every day. Every teacher, no matter the grade level, knows my kids well. I would never give that up, just because a public option has a track record of good average standardized scores.
That is the same experience we currently have and I LOVE it. May I ask where your children attend school? You can message me privately, if you'd rather not post it publicly.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I grew up in Friendswood, have a great deal of family still in Friendswood, and also own rental properties in Friendswood....I maintain lots of friends/famliy/connections to the town and keep up with it.

Friendswood is a significantly more challenging school than Bay Area Christian, academically. It is also a much larger school. I would not hesitate to send my kids to Friendswood for a second. Also, Friendswood is a very conservative christian town. Many of the students at Friendswood are very active in their church and young life. I think you will find Friendswood public schools meet your needs quite well. While there is no public school prayers, the schools host lots of prayer breakfasts, and church groups all the time.

As to Friendswood vs CCISD. Friendswood scores better than CCISD in all metrics except for diversity. When it comes to school zones, everyone feeds into Friendswood high school. It is the only high school. CCISD has more than one, and Zones do change. Not frequently, but there are no guarantees of school zoning. This is controlled by the school board.

Pearland, also touching Friendswood, recently opened a new high school, and rezoned....there were lots of folks very upset with the schools they were zoned to after the move.

Thank you very much for this information! I was a Young Life kid and was wondering if there was a YL group active in the area. I had the impression that Friendswood was a conservative town and my assumption was that if most people in this Bible Belt town sent their kids to public school, then there'd be a fairly heavy Christian influence there. But you know what assuming does...LOL!

Old 11-02-2016, 11:06 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,225,578 times
If you live in the galveston county side of friendswood be glad you dont have to deal with clearbrook. I would never send a child to that school. Friendswood ISD is VERY conservative though so that might work out for you if the bay area christian school doesnt.

If your on the harris county side I would look into a private school.

I know clearbrook high school has had at least a few major indecents over the years while friendswood high school hasnt.

Although FISD is very conservative it does have its own social issues that arent always friendly to people who arent popular or well off. FISD isnt full of bullies just to warn you about things that go on. Others will disagree but I did graduate from FISD schools.

Last edited by shortel; 11-02-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-02-2016, 12:00 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,269,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
If you live in the galveston county side of friendswood be glad you dont have to deal with clearbrook. I would never send a child to that school. Friendswood ISD is VERY conservative though so that might work out for you if the bay area christian school doesnt.

If your on the harris county side I would look into a private school.

I know clearbrook high school has had at least a few major indecents over the years while friendswood high school hasnt.

Although FISD is very conservative it does have its own social issues that arent always friendly to people who arent popular or well off. FISD isnt full of bullies just to warn you about things that go on. Others will disagree but I did graduate from FISD schools.
Friendswood is full of "clicks" I think it is may be more difficult to fit in at Friendswood, especially at the high school level, if you do not come up through the other schools....My graduating class had about 320 people, with about 260 of them as 12 year seniors. I am terrible with names, and I knew the name of almost every single person in my graduating class because I had been in a class with almost every one of them for a whole year before I got to junior high school.

Friendswood also has a noticeable drug problem...but I know with 100% certainty that Bay Area Christian does as well. I know people who pulled their kids from both schools and now home school because drugs were available everywhere. In my class, I knew of people who did drugs, but I never actually saw any until college.

I never felt the students at Friendswood cared about whether or not you came from money, or had a big house, cool car, etc - but there were certainly people there that had both.

Bottom line, Friendswood has the same problems as other schools.

And Shortel is correct - avoid the harris county side of Friendswood. You need to be zoned to FISD. Clear Brook is very different than Friendswood.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:22 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,225,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post

I never felt the students at Friendswood cared about whether or not you came from money, or had a big house, cool car, etc - but there were certainly people there that had both.

Totally disagree. Just go check out the parking lot at friendswood high school. You you see very few beater cars. Their is plenty of parents in friendswood who have money. And stuck up kids who think they are rich. Just look at the average income stats for that city compared to others.

From what I know fisd is mostly weed and alcohol. A VERY large % comes from parents buying alcohol for their kids parties though.

If you want to be varsity cheerleader be prepared to be popular at fisd its not about talent; unless you count talent as cheerleaders that know how to "put out" at after game parties. If you dont care about sports then it doesnt matter.

Moses Malone Jr. was in my class he wasnt on the basket ball team because he had talent.He proves gentics doesnt always mean success. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston