Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:33 AM

860 posts, read 1,586,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomama View Post
Oh how I wish I could bring you all to my house so you could identify my plants for me and tell me what I am supposed to be doing with them! I know nothing about this climate, we just moved here from Chicago. I don't know what I should be cutting back for winter, what I should be covering and when, what will grow back and what is annual.

You know how pool stores have "pool school"??? (we did that one!) I wish the nurseries would have "garden school." This zone is SO different, I recognize NOTHING in my yard.
Please don't despair! Gardening in Houston and vicinity is a year-round activity and many rules that apply elsewhere in the country don't work here. I've gardened for years and there's always something new to learn or different to plant.

You will want to visit a couple of the independent (not BigBox store or chain) plant nurseries where the employees or owners are more than willing to share their knowledge. Some nurseries actually do offer classes and workshops! Urban Harvest offers them as well.

You'll definitely need a couple of recently published gardening books written specifically for the Houston area and not those that claim to cover "the South" or "the State of Texas". Most independent nurseries have them - bookstores generally don't. Randy Lemmon is one of the authors who also has a website with weekly updates, plus a weekend morning gardening program on KTRH 740 AM.

Gardening writers Kathy Huber and Molly Glentzer have columns in Saturday's Chronicle as well as chron.com blogs.

Texas A&M University (tamu.com) has an extensive horticultural program and lots of gardening information online.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 02:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Pines - yes I love that yellow pollen all over vehicles and when we get a storm blow through those are the first to snap off and fall on homes, etc. Pines aren't natural to this area either - more like East Texas. I didn't move here to be in the Piney Woods so glad I'm not.
How wrong you are. Pine trees are indeed native to Houston, & the northern side of the city from 1960 on north extends into whats officially known as the Piney Woods of Southeast Texas.

There are even native pine trees as far south as Clear Lake, though a much shorter, broader branch variety.

Logging used to be a fairly big industry in Houston.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:22 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I probably worded that wrong .... as they are native in Texas. I think I should've said an over-abundance as in the Piney Woods. Thx.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 PM

84 posts, read 761,395 times
Default Teas closes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
Please don't despair! Gardening in Houston and vicinity is a year-round activity and many rules that apply elsewhere in the country don't work here. I've gardened for years and there's always something new to learn or different to plant.

You will want to visit a couple of the independent (not BigBox store or chain) plant nurseries where the employees or owners are more than willing to share their knowledge. Some nurseries actually do offer classes and workshops! Urban Harvest offers them as well.

You'll definitely need a couple of recently published gardening books written specifically for the Houston area and not those that claim to cover "the South" or "the State of Texas". Most independent nurseries have them - bookstores generally don't. Randy Lemmon is one of the authors who also has a website with weekly updates, plus a weekend morning gardening program on KTRH 740 AM.

Gardening writers Kathy Huber and Molly Glentzer have columns in Saturday's Chronicle as well as chron.com blogs.

Texas A&M University (tamu.com) has an extensive horticultural program and lots of gardening information online.

Good luck!
Sad to hear, Teas nursery in Bellaire closed (one of the last family nurseries in town).

Old 04-18-2010, 03:44 PM

437 posts, read 1,300,660 times
Palms that can last for 2-3 decades in Galveston: Roystonea regia (Cuban Royal Palm), Wodyetia bifurcata (Foxtail Palm), Bismarkia nobillis (Bismarck Palm), Dypsis lutescens (Areca Palm)...and many other palms hardy to about 30F.
GALVESTON IS A WHOLE WORLD AWAY FROM HOUSTON...from 1997-2009 Galveston didn't fall below 30F..while Houston (Bush INTL. Airport) never sees a winter above 30F. The fact is Galveston rarely freezes, this year it reached 25-27F in Galveston where as 17F(Bush) to 20F(D'town) in Houston. Royals and other zone 10 plants won't last more then 10 years, depending where you are in Houston.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:47 PM

BTW there are 30 foot Royals at Moody Gardens.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,741 times
This last winter, many of my plants died. Houston certainly does have a winter although its severity is somewhat unpredictable. Most of the time it is mild, but sometimes it can get cold enough to kill all of your plants.

Houston is not tropical. Houston is sub-tropical. All year long.

You can't plant coconut trees in Houston. They won't live.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:17 PM

74 posts, read 250,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone13 View Post
Palms that can last for 2-3 decades in Galveston: Roystonea regia (Cuban Royal Palm), Wodyetia bifurcata (Foxtail Palm), Bismarkia nobillis (Bismarck Palm), Dypsis lutescens (Areca Palm)...and many other palms hardy to about 30F.
GALVESTON IS A WHOLE WORLD AWAY FROM HOUSTON...from 1997-2009 Galveston didn't fall below 30F..while Houston (Bush INTL. Airport) never sees a winter above 30F. The fact is Galveston rarely freezes, this year it reached 25-27F in Galveston where as 17F(Bush) to 20F(D'town) in Houston. Royals and other zone 10 plants won't last more then 10 years, depending where you are in Houston.
true...Galveston avg jan. temp low is 50-51F where houston is 45-46F....
however..this is central houston and northern houston...if your by the bay(clear lake, F-wood, Kemah, League city)...then youre good by about another 3F...and as a plus the coast acts as a buffer...so that keeps the temps from having dramatic temp. drops...so not ALL of houston is prominent for having those rare COLD freezes..

Old 06-12-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonboi22 View Post
true...Galveston avg jan. temp low is 50-51F where houston is 45-46F....
however..this is central houston and northern houston...if your by the bay(clear lake, F-wood, Kemah, League city)...then youre good by about another 3F...and as a plus the coast acts as a buffer...so that keeps the temps from having dramatic temp. drops...so not ALL of houston is prominent for having those rare COLD freezes..
Hobby Airport is actually about 2F warmer then Bush, so there is some variation, the South Houston queen palms look alot better then Western and Northern Houston. The Pasadena Royals are dead though .

Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
I don't like the palm trees in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston