Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:56 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

24,108 posts, read 14,896,004 times

Advertisements

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...jor-applewhite

Interesting article. Ostensibly about the Houston Cougars, but about Houston more than it is the Cougars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 10:35 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I think is sad how little attention local news media gives to the Houston Cougars
They rather talk about high school football (little kids that barely know how to wipe their .... ) than the Houston Cougars.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:10 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times
One of the reason UH didn't get to the power 5 is the simple reason that UH is not a big athletic market. And I don't see why people won't leave that alone. UH is no UT, A&M or even Baylor. On an athletic standpoint.

Now academically, UH is nationally and internationally recognized just like it should be. And I think it's sad that they've recently stopped focusing on academics to get the athletic program better.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:06 PM

331 posts, read 487,547 times
I feel like they get attention in the media when they're doing well, but not when they're not. So pretty much like anything else. There was more attention last year because they were better.

They didn't get in the big 12 because they don't add enough tvs, plain and simple. People watch a bit when they're rolling, but not when they're down. That's a clear distinction from a UT, for example. Even when they suck, they have a huge fan base that will still turn on the tv. B12 already has a foot in the Houston market.

I agree, UH isn't a UT or an A&M. They're not quite a Baylor at the moment either; however, that's just due to the exposure Baylor has got from being in a better conference many years. I'm always told Baylor got in the b12 because they were more politically connected. If you take that away, to me, they don't have a lot of positives over uh. If I'm the b12 I'd consider swapping Baylor for uh... or, to be less mean about it, would consider the two basically interchangeable. But that's not how it works in reality. You know, inertia.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:37 PM

93 posts, read 312,465 times
In my opinion the reason UH did not get into the Big 12 is simply recruiting. Other Big 12 schools feel that they have an advantage with high school players since they are a Power 5 conference and UH is not in one. This is one of the best if not the best recruiting areas.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:44 PM

614 posts, read 1,238,017 times
Uh didn't get into the big 12 because of recruiting conflicts with schools already in the big 12. Houston is a hot bed for recruiting and if Uh was in the big 12. All the schools in the big 12 will suffer in that aspect because a lot of recruits would choose to stay home and play for Uh.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:02 PM

331 posts, read 487,547 times
I'm not going to say recruiting wasn't a factor; it was. I still think the main factor is they don't add enough viewers. It's not a new untapped market for the big 12 and not that many people watch UH, esp when they're down, unfortunately. If it was a good move and beneficial to them (b12) they would have done it. I wouldn't hitch my wagon too much to any conference because it'll all get shaken up again at some point in the future. Plus conference strength is cyclical.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:07 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH1962 View Post
In my opinion the reason UH did not get into the Big 12 is simply recruiting. Other Big 12 schools feel that they have an advantage with high school players since they are a Power 5 conference and UH is not in one. This is one of the best if not the best recruiting areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Uh didn't get into the big 12 because of recruiting conflicts with schools already in the big 12. Houston is a hot bed for recruiting and if Uh was in the big 12. All the schools in the big 12 will suffer in that aspect because a lot of recruits would choose to stay home and play for Uh.

Both of the quotes above are spot on. Barry Switzer actually said it in plain English. No way would I vote for U of H into the big 12 because Houston is the best (his description) High School football recruiting region in the nation (again his words).

This attitude which I believe is shared by many if not most recruiters is complimentary towards Houston HS Football and the local coaches but seems rather chicken ***** at the same time

Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
The last couple of posts are correct. You can find recent quotes (as in Oct-Nov 2016) from Barry Switzer, Mike Gundy, and Dana Dimel (KSU) that plainly state they don't want to empower UH any more than they already are. Translation - they are scared of UH's potential. And yes, in 1995 or 96, it was initially only UT and A&M to be admitted to the big 12, per UT's direction. Politics intervened because Ann Richards and Bob Bullock were Tech/Baylor grads. So since 1996, Tech and Baylor, even if they are completely winless, earn over 10x more media revenue and bowl game revenue than UH, and they have a direct path to New Years Bowl games and the national championship playoffs. UH does not. That income boost makes it easier to build nice stadiums and jumbotrons. In other words, that income boost indirectly helps build the fan base. Also remember UH plays teams like Tulsa and Tulane in conference. Not exactly big draws in Houston. If you want to see Houston's Big 12 attendance potential, look up attendance at UH-OU. UH sold out in Houston vs Tech just a few years ago (admittedly smaller stadium, but ask Tech fans about the crowd). All UH wants is a fair shot on a level playing ground. That is completely, totally, utterly impossible in the current system.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftbend06 View Post
I feel like they get attention in the media when they're doing well, but not when they're not. So pretty much like anything else. There was more attention last year because they were better.

They didn't get in the big 12 because they don't add enough tvs, plain and simple. People watch a bit when they're rolling, but not when they're down. That's a clear distinction from a UT, for example. Even when they suck, they have a huge fan base that will still turn on the tv. B12 already has a foot in the Houston market.

I agree, UH isn't a UT or an A&M. They're not quite a Baylor at the moment either; however, that's just due to the exposure Baylor has got from being in a better conference many years. I'm always told Baylor got in the b12 because they were more politically connected. If you take that away, to me, they don't have a lot of positives over uh. If I'm the b12 I'd consider swapping Baylor for uh... or, to be less mean about it, would consider the two basically interchangeable. But that's not how it works in reality. You know, inertia.
They get plenty of coverage. They've been talked about non stop all season long on all the local news stations. The only local schools that get little coverage are TSU, UST, and HBU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston