Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 PM

122 posts, read 519,332 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm just wondering if any of you Montanians or the like have ever had any real close encounters with any wildlife in Montana...looking for some interesting stories....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 12:28 AM

305 posts, read 869,171 times
I know I took out a couple tail feathers from a pheasant on the way home from work the other day.... or was that not the kind of story you were looking for?

Old 07-04-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2007 View Post
I know I took out a couple tail feathers from a pheasant on the way home from work the other day.... or was that not the kind of story you were looking for?
Wellllllllllll, its a start!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:35 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
Once upon a time, on a night in late October, I drove west out of Whitefish on 93 past Olney, past the Upper Stillwater, not as far as Stryker but in the area were there're a couple of forest service roads off 93. I had been visiting a friend for dinner and thought I'd go home backwards: instead of driving into Whitefish where I lived, I would drive out into the almost-darkness with a small moon, to watch the stars and see if I could see any northern lights.

I pulled off onto one of those service roads and drove only a few yards, turned off the lights, cut the engine, and listened. Air... So I got out of the car, leaned against the warm hood, and looked up. Stars and stars and stars, stars beyond stars, stars on top of stars, stars...

I don't know how long I lost earth-sense, sinking into the stars in bliss. And I heard -- not quite something, almost something. My head turned in the direction of the not-something. And she stood still, looking at me, a mountain lion. She wasn't near; in the almost-darkness I couldn't see her eyes clearly. But I could see her body against the trees, felt her presence, almost felt the warmth of her. Forty feet away? Fifty? Not much more, I think.

We looked at each other, for a minute? More? I felt a joy, a sweetness, a simplicity, a calm peacefulness I had never known.

Gone. She vanished into the trees. But I could hear her, this time something, footsteps, a twig or two. She let me hear her walk away! I got it! - she'd had the same peaceful experience in my presence that I'd had in hers. Two ladies of the mountain... and love.

Last edited by allforcats; 07-04-2008 at 01:44 AM..

Old 07-04-2008, 05:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Once upon a time, on a night in late October, I drove west out of Whitefish on 93 past Olney, past the Upper Stillwater, not as far as Stryker but in the area were there're a couple of forest service roads off 93. I had been visiting a friend for dinner and thought I'd go home backwards: instead of driving into Whitefish where I lived, I would drive out into the almost-darkness with a small moon, to watch the stars and see if I could see any northern lights.

I pulled off onto one of those service roads and drove only a few yards, turned off the lights, cut the engine, and listened. Air... So I got out of the car, leaned against the warm hood, and looked up. Stars and stars and stars, stars beyond stars, stars on top of stars, stars...

I don't know how long I lost earth-sense, sinking into the stars in bliss. And I heard -- not quite something, almost something. My head turned in the direction of the not-something. And she stood still, looking at me, a mountain lion. She wasn't near; in the almost-darkness I couldn't see her eyes clearly. But I could see her body against the trees, felt her presence, almost felt the warmth of her. Forty feet away? Fifty? Not much more, I think.

We looked at each other, for a minute? More? I felt a joy, a sweetness, a simplicity, a calm peacefulness I had never known.

Gone. She vanished into the trees. But I could hear her, this time something, footsteps, a twig or two. She let me hear her walk away! I got it! - she'd had the same peaceful experience in my presence that I'd had in hers. Two ladies of the mountain... and love.
Or she'd just eaten and wasn't hungry...
We've run into bear out 4 wheeling, moose and elk within 20 yards and daily deer and fox within feet of us as recent as 2 days ago.
Coyotes and/or wolves about monthly walk through the yard and cats have stalked some of my friends in their yards.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:29 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
While on the Camas road in G.N.P. we saw a wolverine on the side of the road and we stopped. It came right up to our car door and stood there looking at me. I think it was really sick, it didn't look good at all.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post

That's great!

Old 07-04-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Or she'd just eaten and wasn't hungry...
We've run into bear out 4 wheeling, moose and elk within 20 yards and daily deer and fox within feet of us as recent as 2 days ago.
Coyotes and/or wolves about monthly walk through the yard and cats have stalked some of my friends in their yards.
Bear while 4-wheeling? The engine noise doesn't scare them off?

Old 07-04-2008, 03:13 PM

104 posts, read 376,446 times
Bozeman Daily Chronicle-

Grizzly attacks hikers near Shoshone Lake in Yellowstone
By SCOTT McMILLION, Chronicle Staff Writer
Two men were attacked by a grizzly bear in Yellowstone National Park Wednesday, but escaped serious injury.

Pat McDonald, 52, of Bismarck, N.D., and Gerald Holzer, 51, of Northfield, Minn., were hiking on a trail near Shoshone Lake in the park's southern portion when they noticed fresh bear scat, the National Park Service announced late Thursday.

They were on their way to a backcountry camp site and decided to continue, although they "began making noise in an attempt to deter a possible bear encounter," a news release said.

About a quarter-mile further along the trail, they crossed a knoll and "were charged by a grizzly at full stride," the release said.

Holzer, who was in front, side-stepped the bear.
McDonald stepped behind some trees and dropped to the ground. The bear ran past him, but returned and swatted at him, then turned to Holzer, who had dropped to the ground and was lying on his stomach.

The bear jumped on Holzer's back, swatted at him, then retreated about 50 yards "where they could hear it snorting."

Huffs and snorts are signs of an agitated bear.

McDonald then began removing the wrist straps from his hiking poles so he could reach the bear spray at his waist. Then the bear attacked, and started working on McDonald's leg.

Nevertheless, he was able to retrieve the spray and doused the bear in the face. The bear then ran off.

The two men then hiked four miles to the trailhead and drove to the clinic at Old Faithful for treatment.

McDonald suffered a puncture wound to his leg. Holzer was uninjured, as his backpack protected him during the attack.

Bears are now entering hyperphagia, a period of intense feeding in an effort to store fat for the coming winter's sleep. Since they are so focused on food, people using the woods at this time of year need to use extra diligence.

Also, while most experts advise people to hit the ground and lay on their stomach if an attack is inevitable, they also say to remain motionless until they are certain the bear has left the area.

Most bear attacks result from surprise encounters or a perception on the bear's part that a person poses a threat.

Bear attacks are seldom fatal, and usually end when a bear perceives that the threat has been neutralized.

Remaining motionless can reinforce that perception.

But bears sometimes return for a second attack if a victim moves or makes sounds before the bear leaves for good.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:53 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal27 View Post
Bear while 4-wheeling? The engine noise doesn't scare them off?
There's not much that will scare off a bear. Many times they'll just stand up and look because they're curious.

They are much the same as Jackalopes. Not really afraid of anything. But with a Jackalope, if you encounter one with a 4-wheeler, get out of there. Travel in a straight line, as turning will do nothing but allow the Jackalope to catch up. They can turn on a dime, but if you can run straight, you can possibly out distance them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana