Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 06:17 PM

153 posts, read 144,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
That's a pretty stupid statement, however you just proved another point on how generic The Woodlands is. Nothing wrong with the area, but it's not diverse at all. It's nice to have gay, black, Muslim, Indian, Mexican friends and so forth.

As others said, the Hardy Toll Road is another option - 30 minutes and you're at work.

People live there because they don't want to live with "diversity" AKA "crime".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 10:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is friends are friends. Racial diversity does not matter.
Completely true. Hang out with people you enjoy being with regardless of race or sexual identity.

However, if a person feels they must achieve a quota of races and sexual identities in order to keep up with the Jones', that may be a little more difficult in the Woodlands. I do wonder if the FB PC SJW's will even verify when someone racks up six black friends, four Muslim friends, three Hindu friends, two Asian friends, two gay buddies, a lesbian, a transgender and a little person with a stutter.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:17 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact is friends are friends. Racial diversity does not matter.
Good point. I'm just pointing out the fact the The Woodlands is not a diverse place to live. Just as Texas Built has stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Built View Post
People live there because they don't want to live with "diversity" AKA "crime".
Yep, no crime at all in The Woodlands Yes there is crime in the city, but you are sounding a bit like a bigot.

You said you aren't a fan of the city. I get it. I'm no fan of the burbs. I grew up in Spring and know what it's like. My parents still don't know what pho is.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:23 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Good point. I'm just pointing out the fact the The Woodlands is not a diverse place to live. Just as Texas Built has stated.

Yep, no crime at all in The Woodlands Yes there is crime in the city, but you are sounding a bit like a bigot.

You said you aren't a fan of the city. I get it. I'm no fan of the burbs. I grew up in Spring and know what it's like. My parents still don't know what pho is.
Are your parents shut-ins?

I drove from Kuykendahl to 45 on 1960 literally three days ago and I must have seen four Pho places.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:52 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Poor woman! After reading all these posts she is probably more reticent than she was before about moving to Texas.
OP, I live in the Dallas area. I would advise you to take an apartment near where you work at first. Give yourself time to explore both The Woodlands and also downtown Houston (which is definitely an interesting, eclectic place).
After you have been here a while, you will have a much better idea of where you want to live, if these "Texans" have not totally scared you off by now that is.
Welcome to Texas - I hope your experience here will be a positive one!

Old 12-29-2016, 09:52 PM

74 posts, read 141,635 times
I would recommend The Woodlands, I used to live about 10 minutes from there and commuted to the city for work and the traffic was horrific. If you can work an early shift or explore some of the toll roads (which can add up), look into that for your commute if you decide to live in the city. The Woodlands has really grown a lot over the last 10 years, a lot of great places to socialize and eat, but nothing compares to the options you'll have in the city. The social scene may not be as hot as Houston, but I'd much rather work and play in the same town. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2017, 05:07 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times
Quote:
It's nice to have gay, black, Muslim, Indian, Mexican friends and so forth.
That's cute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
However, if a person feels they must achieve a quota of races and sexual identities in order to keep up with the Jones', that may be a little more difficult in the Woodlands. I do wonder if the FB PC SJW's will even verify when someone racks up six black friends, four Muslim friends, three Hindu friends, two Asian friends, two gay buddies, a lesbian, a transgender and a little person with a stutter.
You forgot the obese, black, one eyed Jewish woman from the 3rd ward.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:15 PM

39 posts, read 65,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTownNearNative View Post
Live in the Heights for sure! Easy access to I-45 (target areas north of I-10 and east of Heights Blvd). Easy access to I-45 North and easy access to downtown activities, especially the Theater District. Or live in the area west of downtown, east of Shepherd/north of West Gray south of Allen Parkway near Eleanor Tinsley park. Beautiful area with great walking/cycling/running trail, lots of fine local non-chain restaurants and very close to cultural activities, and nightlife. If you like the arts (symphony, Broadway musicals, art museums)you will want to be in Houston. I know the Houston Symphony has a young adults group and probably so do other arts organizations.

Of all the suburbs, The Woodlands is the best in terms of amenities (Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion (large outdoor venue) also features the Houston Symphony as well as feature music concerts of popular genres all year. Most people over 35 in the area are going be single parents since this is a family-oriented community with great schools. If you are open to that, then go for The Woodlands. If not, Houston is bound to have much better dating options and you will find more childless people here.

Live in Houston first and if you end up liking the Woodlands as you get more comfortable, then you can make a more permanent move there. If you think you might change jobs (different company) in a few years, living in central Houston puts you in a good place to work anywhere in the area with mostly a reverse commute.
Above is very good advice.

While I am not exceptionally familiar with Chicago, a fairly analogous situation would be your job is in Naperville whether you'd pick Naperville or Downtown Chicago to live.

Versus Chicago, primary differences in Houston that may affect your choice on where to live will be public transport is not a commuting option, and the 'best' places to do stuff in Houston (bars, restaurants, museums, etc.) are mostly not in downtown but surrounding areas 1-10 miles away (Montrose, midtown, Heights, River Oaks, Galleria, Rice Village, Museum District). Though downtown is continuing to grow as a decent place to live and do stuff. For a commute to TW, the areas close to 45 and North within those areas offer the best commute tradeoff, which is the Heights and the West Grey & West Dallas areas east of Sheppard or, better, west of Montrose which will be close to 45 but allow you to enter the highway past any highway traffic going towards downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston