Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 06:03 PM
TJI TJI started this thread

3 posts, read 3,246 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move out of California. I have thought about the south as I hear it is very friendly and conservative. Can anyone recommend a good place for a single christian woman that has professional job opportunities?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:58 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
You'll need to be a little more specific about "professional job opportunities."

Old 06-03-2015, 09:05 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJI View Post
I am looking to move out of California. I have thought about the south as I hear it is very friendly and conservative. Can anyone recommend a good place for a single christian woman that has professional job opportunities?

Thank you!
NC is not consistently conservative, but then again neither is the South. Both may be majority conservative, but there are large numbers of liberals too. I would say that parts of CA are more conservative than NC, and overall they are probably more similar than people think. Lots of people concentrate on the liberal enclaves of SF/LA/SD, but the valleys and areas away from the coast can be frighteningly conservative.

That said, there are lots of conservative areas in NC, but you would need to stay away from the cities. Suburbs and rural areas are more conservative, but it's a big state and you'll need to narrow down your options. Mountains/Piedmont/Coast for starters...and what type of job opportunities?

Old 06-04-2015, 02:12 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
.and what type of job opportunities?
I will second that question. Charlotte is the largest city, and probably has the most job opportunities of all types.

Charlotte is also the home of the Billy Graham Library. Charlotte has many Christians as well as people of other faiths.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:19 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Anywhere but Asheville, Durham, and the people's republic of chapel hill

Charlotte and Raleigh easy

Wilmington too

Old 06-05-2015, 11:11 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJI View Post

Thank you!
I'm guessing that you are an evangelical christian vs regular christian (Methodist, Catholic, etc.)

Most jobs are going to be in the big cities & their metros. Saying professional job opportunities doesn't give us much to go on. A small rural town near a metro might be what you want. Have you looked into Greenville, SC? It's a city & the home of Bob Jones University/College. That might be your happy place.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:22 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Since you're only asking about "The South", and not NC specifically, I would take your question to the General US forum. Parts of NC are very religious, but not as much as other states such as SC, AL, MS etc. The best job markets in NC tend to be the cities which are generally the most politically liberal.

As others mention, it will be a great help to say more specifically what kind of jobs you're looking for, and even moreso if you do some online job scouting in your field about particular places in the South for that market.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:33 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Since you're only asking about "The South", and not NC specifically, I would take your question to the General US forum.
She did re-post in the General US forum and has received a variety of recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina