Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:02 PM

36 posts, read 47,178 times

Advertisements

Previously zoned to Bush. Re-zoned to Daily. From Daily took the GT magnet route but wondering how the younger siblings will make it. I don't want to move to the outer suburbs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:15 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg19 View Post
Previously zoned to Bush. Re-zoned to Daily. From Daily took the GT magnet route but wondering how the younger siblings will make it. I don't want to move to the outer suburbs!
AFAIK Daily's fine though it doesn't have as good of a rep as Bush. I would stay put. Anyhow if you want you can investigate Shadowbriar Magnet to see if it's better than Daily, or stay put in Daily if you think it's fine!

A fact about the area: I know the kids of the Japanese community go to Bush and Daily as those are among the schools with the highest enrollments of Japanese kids. ヒューストンについて (from the Japanese Saturday School of Houston)

Quote:
ヒューストンでは日本人子女が多く通学しているのはヒューストン学校区内が多く、Barbar a Bush、Ray K. Daily Elementary, Robertsに集中しています。 次に多いのがクリア・クリーク学校区のJohn F. Ward, 続いて スプリング・ブランチ学校区のBunker Hill, ケーティ学校区のNottingham Country などです。
... from Google Translate one can tell that it's a list of schools with Japanese students. (AFAIK not a whole lot are Japanese, but these are the schools with the biggest numbers of them)

Quote:
In Houston, many Japanese children attend school in the Houston School District, which is concentrated in Barbar a Bush, Ray K. Daily Elementary, Roberts. Next is John F. Ward in the Clear Creek School District, followed by Bunker Hill in the Spring Branch School District, Nottingham Country in the Katy School District.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:24 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I am very pro-public school....to a fault...and our son started elementary at a HISD Vanguard elementary in an at-risk neighborhood (many moons ago)!

Still (though it didn't happen in Houston) I would commend this thought-provoking article about the risks of choosing a severely under-performing neighborhood school.

Esther Cepeda: Send your kids to the best school possible | GazetteXtra

I don't know if it is still true but in my years in Houston I noticed many highly involved minority parents found ways to redirect their children to more high performing schools. Minority to majority transfers helped facilitate this.

It is a quandary and the social cost is huge.
I think that pretty much been the standard for a long time in Houston and almost everything in the country where attendance is based on where you live.

Why would anybody with common sense put their kids in a questionable school if there is a choice unless the parent don't know better or don't care about education. You don't need an article or any study to show that.

That is why the charter school do so well in minority areas because most of the time is a lost cause.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:35 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
By "questionable" you mean gun/gang violence, right? Magnet schools had drained those schools of the most talented students for quite some time, and the better charter schools (which by nature draw parents motivated enough to apply) do the same thing. There are some charter schools which target academically needy students and they are another ball game.

Neighborhood schools need to gain the ability to "expel" students to a lesser school if they have behavioral issues while also getting the guaranteed student funding and openly doing so (on the basis that the school is doing the right thing and therefore should not be punished). That way charter schools will no longer be necessary.

Think about the tale of "Eulises Estrada" Eulises Estrada

Quote:
The counselors were already ultra-busy with the plethora of other problem kids and a student who was not ditching school, bringing weapons to class, stealing, threatening or attacking his/her classmates was not going to rate very high on their list of priorities. And what were they going to do with him that they hadn't already done to him anyway? The one (and last) time I sent Eulises to the counseling office the counselor dutifully came to my room and explained that of all his teachers I was the one who had the least problems with him. I knew from the beginning I was going to have to develop some way to peacefully coexist with this student for one semester.
Think about this quote: Los Angeles Unified School District: Inner-City Teacher Blues

Quote:
You cannot make a student learn - you can only facilitate and encourage the process. In my opinion, achievement in education is mostly about attitude and hard work (and NOT funding or curriculum), and too many students looked at school as little more than temporary incarceration with the opportunity to fraternize with friends during lunch and breaks. Many of these types were gang members and the vast majority would drop out of school before their sophomore year in high school (LAUSD dropout rate is +-40%). These "hardcore" kids perform poorly in the traditional classroom setting and bring in toxic problems from the streets and their lives which can result in a toxic classroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I think that pretty much been the standard for a long time in Houston and almost everything in the country where attendance is based on where you live.

Why would anybody with common sense put their kids in a questionable school if there is a choice unless the parent don't know better or don't care about education. You don't need an article or any study to show that.

That is why the charter school do so well in minority areas because most of the time is a lost cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston