Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,730,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
...there was nothing there before so it has to be "made."
Woodlands, Fairfield and Katy ''area'' perhaps. But Sugar Land, Friendswood, Pearland, Clear Lake, and Pasadena among others all have histories of their own as separate entities not connected to Houston. Many go back to the 1800s. These areas becoming suburbs is a relatively new phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,183,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Katy is NOT "all that and a bag of chips"...
Exactly. Katy isn't bad (check out Camden, NJ sometime). It's simply nothing special. Indeed, it is entirely forgettable and unremarkable. In that way, perhaps it is arguably the quintessential Houston 'burb.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,842,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Exactly. Katy isn't bad (check out Camden, NJ sometime). It's simply nothing special. Indeed, it is entirely forgettable and unremarkable. In that way, perhaps it is arguably the quintessential Houston 'burb.
Places like Katy serve their purpose. I just wish that people who like that new cookie-cutter type of house would go to these new areas for them. Instead many are coming into older areas that have their own history and sense of place, tearing down charming old bungalows, etc., and building their out of place McMansions. I guess that is a whole other topic.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,522,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Places like Katy serve their purpose. I just wish that people who like that new cookie-cutter type of house would go to these new areas for them. Instead many are coming into older areas that have their own history and sense of place, tearing down charming old bungalows, etc., and building their out of place McMansions. I guess that is a whole other topic.
Cookie-cutter lovers with money like location too. As much as I don't like many of them, they keep neighborhoods from dying off and do raise the value of the pre-existing houses.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,842,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Cookie-cutter lovers with money like location too. As much as I don't like many of them, they keep neighborhoods from dying off and do raise the value of the pre-existing houses.
I don't know about preventing neighborhoods from dying off. I don't think areas ranging from the Heights to Meyerland would die off or really be any worse off for the lack of McMansion invasions.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:05 AM

70 posts, read 340,772 times
Cool "The epitome of the hollowness"?

Granted, Katy history is all north of I-10 and isn't all that exciting, but, if you're new to the area, and your job is not in downtown Houston, AND you have 3 children, what's wrong with Katy? Weed out the fake people and there are still plenty of decent folks there. And as far as the big-box bland storefronts, well, if you're gonna live there, might as well not have to travel all that far to buy stuff right? Sounds to me that somebody not from Katy has the elitist attitude. I've lived in many parts of this country and there are FAR worse places to live. Lets see now....GREAT schools (of course, my taxes pay for them), low crime (at least where I live), nearby stores, AFFORDABLE housing (cookie cutter, tract housing, Mcmansions, whatever you want to call it-I get much more house for my money than most places I've lived in the US), so what if you have to drive a bit to get anything not so homogenized, I have kids, I don't want spicey so close to them. Get over it.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,127,034 times
obviously inloopers see elitism as folks trying to get away from the streetbums and failed neighborhoods of inner city houston. this is all wrong and just plain crab mentality to put down places like Katy

Old 03-06-2008, 01:41 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,730,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
obviously inloopers see elitism as folks trying to get away from the streetbums and failed neighborhoods of inner city houston. this is all wrong and just plain crab mentality to put down places like Katy

On this board, I've noticed this attitude is a lot more common (from the childless/unmarried/divorced no doubt) than the ''suburban snobbery.'' Truth is I read more about that than I actually experience. Makes me wonder how it really is out there in real life. I currently live somewhat in the middle of both crowds and don't notice either one.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:48 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,812,599 times
Don't judge Houston by suburbs built by macro-builders, don't judge people based on where finance and family considerations (e.g. schools) drive them to live and don't assume that the neighborhoods of "inner city houston" have failed when they haven't. Just don't buy a house anywhere near Hobby Airport.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,127,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
On this board, I've noticed this attitude is a lot more common (from the childless/unmarried/divorced no doubt) than the ''suburban snobbery.'' Truth is I read more about that than I actually experience. Makes me wonder how it really is out there in real life. I currently live somewhat in the middle of both crowds and don't notice either one.
same here. just in these boards, i guess we have a select participants who are into real estate who's every breath is for getting people back in the loop or whereever their investments may be

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
don't assume that the neighborhoods of "inner city houston" have failed when they haven't.
well ok you tell me how to process 'gentrification' innerloopers like to use to describe their ghettos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston