Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 AM

339 posts, read 764,953 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, need some advice here. we've been hearing some scratching noises from our roof. So definitely something in there, but the problem is the part of the roof where the noises are coming from is pretty much inaccessible.

I have our local pest control vendor scheduled to come up but trying to figure out what else we can do?

So far, i have only heard the noises during the late morning..10 - 12 am. Also, i did find clumps of insulation in our yard. I'm guessing its a bird trying to build a nest, but at this point it could be any rodent. we don't hear any noises (e.g., squeaks, or chirps).

I'm concerned that whatever is there isn't damaging the roof. I'm going to have our roofer come out too to do an inspection.

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 AM

694 posts, read 836,374 times
Squirrel or rats is more likely. you can try a trap either a "have a heart" for squirrels or the traditional spring types for rats..I would avoid poison at this point because of the possibility of having them die up there and causing a stink for the few months until they mummify.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:53 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
If heard during the day, most likely squirrels. Need to trap and seal-up the openings, if they have gained entry. I think they also have a mechanism that allows the squirrel to exit, but not get back in - - then seal.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 AM

567 posts, read 1,622,675 times
Rats.... kill em using standard traps. I had to cut access to get to inaccessible area in my house. Set a dozen traps and kept re-baiting them over time. Killed 3 of them within 1st couple days, then nothing. Noises stopped. They were coming from a detached garage across the walkway cover and ended up between the 1st and 2nd floor. Ended up sealing the possible entrance too.

Don't use poison.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:42 PM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times
Please don't use glue traps either! They are just downright cruel.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:13 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
I remember hearing noises at night on the roof many years ago, and used a flashlight. I want to say it was a raccoon or opossum. I highly doubt rats, and am skeptical about squirrels as a possibility. Whatever it is, it will probably eventually go away as it warms up. They're probably mostly seeking an inside location during the cooler months.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:59 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
We had mice and set out mouse traps in the attic above the garage. The mice come in during cold weather.

You could check branches scraping your roof. You could check to see your gutters are all set down and tight. I walk our dogs late at night and I've heard many gutters rattling when the wind picks up.

I hope it's not a bat. Stay away from those.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:18 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,436 times
Probably rats.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I remember hearing noises at night on the roof many years ago, and used a flashlight. I want to say it was a raccoon or opossum. I highly doubt rats, and am skeptical about squirrels as a possibility. Whatever it is, it will probably eventually go away as it warms up. They're probably mostly seeking an inside location during the cooler months.

You do not want any kind of animal in your attic, and they are not likely to leave on their own once in. Roof rats are very common in Houston and squirrels, of course, are everywhere. It is not something I would ignore.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,223 times
thanks guys! Our local pest control guy came out and couldn't really tell what it was but suspected rats and setup traps and a bait station outside. going to seal the openings and also have our roofer come out to check out to roof to make sure no holes/gaps are present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: