Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 01:42 AM

6 posts, read 4,548 times

Advertisements

I am a single black female, 49 years old and will be relocating to Texas. I have heard some great things about Texas. I've been to San Antonio which was a little boring for me as my parents live there. I heard some great things about Houston and the surrounding areas, what are some of the areas I can live in that are right outside of Houston. Any advice for a women my age who is still adventurous but like to live in suburban/city mix environment? I will be trying to find work and some place to live. Any good reloation companies out there?

Just tired of being in the cold here in MN and there is not enough culture for me. Any Advice?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 04:04 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,882 times
No need for any relocation companies, IMO. Houstonians are friendly and communicate openly. Word of mouth will be your best source, including this site. Personally, I would suggest a net search of fastest growing suburbs of Houston to get you started. Katy, Pearland, the 59 North corridor, the Bay area (Clear Lake, Kemah) The Woodlands, etc. immediately come to mind. The 59 corridor is "up and coming" in a big way. Investing there could really pay off. Welcome!

Old 03-24-2017, 04:22 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Do you want a more "inner city" type or more quiet suburbia? Many neighborhoods in "inner city Houston" are of a suburban layout and car-dependent. Only a few areas are really dense urban.

Do you want to be around older singles or younger singles? Are you okay with being in an area with families?

Also: Where do you work? If you want a close commute you'll need to get employment first so we know where you'll spend time on the job. Then we can help you find someplace awesome!

Old 03-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome and info. I was thinking pearland or sugarland myself. Its a big move but im determined.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:42 AM

Actually, I would like more suburban with a city feel if that makes sense. Right now i live in a city outside of the city of Minneapolis. And I can go the city 15 min if I ever want more of things to do. Right Now I work for in Human Resources for a major retailer, so I know i would have to secure a job first. My mother lives in San Antonio and thats where I will stay until i can land employment in the Houston areas. I heard the job market is ok. And as far as singles, since im 49, i think i would like to be around my age group.
Thanks!

Old 03-25-2017, 12:07 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,726,460 times
For suburban with a city feel, I'd suggest looking around the City Centre / Town and Country area near the intersection of the beltway and the I-10. This is a relatively new development and even though it is called "city centre" it is really closer to the burbs than it is to the downtown. It is not cheap to live there, but it seems like it has a lot of what you're after and comes pretty close to the 15 minutes mark to downtown that you mention.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:11 PM

270 posts, read 406,110 times
I lived in the Minneapolis area (albeit a few decades ago) and go back occasionally. One thing to keep in mind is that compared to MSP Houston is absolutely enormous, younger, and has been growing far faster for many decades.

Areas like the close in suburbs of Minneapolis (where you can buy a nice home in an established neighborhood less than 15 minutes from downtown) don't really exist without a big budget. Sugarland to Downtown is 35 minutes on a Saturday, and could be an hour in the evenings.

Just important to stay calibrated when looking at maps, the scale is a lot bigger in Houston. I know when I go back to Minneapolis I'm always surprised how rapidly I get from residential areas in Edina and Bloomington into downtown.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Get the job first, then choose your suburb to reduce daily drive time.

I am in Fort Bend Co., so I am partial to Sugar Land over anywhere else. I would keep it to Sugar Land or Missouri City ... otherwise you start getting far from downtown.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:25 PM

74 posts, read 86,133 times
Sugar Land would be a good fit for you, I think.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:07 PM

11 posts, read 24,113 times
Honestly, a large swath of Houston feels very suburban - much of the area between 610 and Beltway 8 is this way. However, at the same time, these areas that feel suburban are often just a few minutes from an urban center.

That being said, however The Woodland area would be a solid fit I think - moreover there's been a lot of growth in the area in the last few years, so there should be a sizeable amount of job opportunities.

Other than that, Sugar Land is a solid choice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston