Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 01:50 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times

Advertisements

What's to deny? It is what it is, lots of ghetto-ness in Houston. For those who live in the ghettos, they don't see it so bad because there is an inherent amount of risk and awareness just for the simple fact of living in an area that is ghetto.

If someone not from the ghetto goes to the ghetto, runs into a 7-11 (whatever) and leaves their keys in the car, and the car gets stolen, someone outside the ghetto will say something along the lines of 'see how dangerous the ghetto is...', whereas someone living in the ghetto will say something like 'you are so stupid to leave your keys in the car, everyone knows you don't do that around here'.

Politicians won't fix anything because they fear backlash, political backlash, for saying their constituents live in a ghetto. They will never say any area is ghetto. Political correctness forbids anyone from saying that. Hell, the media will describe every sordid detail of a rape, and murder, or armed robbery, but won't reveal the color of the skin because they don't want to offend. Instead they will show video, if they have it, so you can see the color and let you make your own racist conclusion. Cowards. So if there is a serial rapist out there, all you need to know is 'don't get raped'! You don't need to look for any person of any color because the rapist is colorless. That is just an example, it could be any crime, you get my point.

So what happens, people turn away, pretend it does not exist. What does not exist does not need to be fixed.

There is no way to prove this, but if everyone finally agreed that we have a ghetto, anywhere, people will start to do something to fix it. No one ever wants to live in the ghetto, unless your name is Rachel Dolezal.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
So what? How does that have anything to do with Houston being “so ghetto?”
I mentioned it because of the "at least they had guns during Harvey". That doesnt have to do with anything.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:41 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,527,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
What's to deny? It is what it is, lots of ghetto-ness in Houston. For those who live in the ghettos, they don't see it so bad because there is an inherent amount of risk and awareness just for the simple fact of living in an area that is ghetto.

If someone not from the ghetto goes to the ghetto, runs into a 7-11 (whatever) and leaves their keys in the car, and the car gets stolen, someone outside the ghetto will say something along the lines of 'see how dangerous the ghetto is...', whereas someone living in the ghetto will say something like 'you are so stupid to leave your keys in the car, everyone knows you don't do that around here'.

Politicians won't fix anything because they fear backlash, political backlash, for saying their constituents live in a ghetto. They will never say any area is ghetto. Political correctness forbids anyone from saying that. Hell, the media will describe every sordid detail of a rape, and murder, or armed robbery, but won't reveal the color of the skin because they don't want to offend. Instead they will show video, if they have it, so you can see the color and let you make your own racist conclusion. Cowards. So if there is a serial rapist out there, all you need to know is 'don't get raped'! You don't need to look for any person of any color because the rapist is colorless. That is just an example, it could be any crime, you get my point.

So what happens, people turn away, pretend it does not exist. What does not exist does not need to be fixed.

There is no way to prove this, but if everyone finally agreed that we have a ghetto, anywhere, people will start to do something to fix it. No one ever wants to live in the ghetto, unless your name is Rachel Dolezal.
Great summary

Old 03-14-2018, 07:18 PM

292 posts, read 245,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
So Houston is not as bad as Mogadishu, Beirut, Lagos, etc etc but at least everyone had guns to protect themselves and their stuff after Harvey. Way to sell Houston as “not a ghetto”. Way to set the bar high too.
Yeah, having guns in Houston makes us look "not ghetto" and un cool...right? Or does it make us look ghetto and totally cool?

Or is it that having guns in Houston makes us look too country boy Texas? Are we not cosmopolitan , chic and oh so politically correct because we have guns?

Circle jerk argument. Houston and their Louisiana (neighbors and friends) ability to come together, protect and secure their communities impressed a lot of people around the world.

It did the city proud

BTW, Before the Texas Gold, black tea was the mainstay of Texas, the state was largely agricultural.

Ranchers needed guns for various reasons. Hunting has always been a popular sport in the state, and many of you have probably pertaken in a meal of wild game or two.

Typically the Texan natives learned to use a gun early in life, for hunting or sports such as skeet shooting.

Ah, they also learned to use a gun early in life in Detroit....but not for the same type of use as those in Texas.

Not too many Deer running the streets of downtown Detroit. Some crazy ar$e drugged up roosters, but no Deer

Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM

292 posts, read 245,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Great summary
I agree, especially the part about leaving the keys/ valuables in the car, in plain sight or otherwise.

If I had a fifty dollar bill for all the times someone shared their sobb story with me at a gym in the Tanglewood area of how they left their purse in the car while they worked out, only for it to be stolen....I would be able to retire early. No kidding.

And get this....most of the time they just left it in the front seating the car...visible to all who strolled by. Geez Louise!

When I would ask them about this, like did you lock your valuables in the trunk, perhaps? ( which still could have been ripped off out of the trunk, especially if the preps saw you place the purse with the ole credit cards in said trunk) they looked at me like I was out of my mind for asking

Come on folks, no one lives in Utopia and there are no unicorns in the garden anywhere on planet Earth.

Guess those folks in the ghetto are just smarter than the average urban bear

Old 03-14-2018, 07:56 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,527,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiene61 View Post
I agree, especially the part about leaving the keys/ valuables in the car, in plain sight or otherwise.

If I had a fifty dollar bill for all the times someone shared their sobb story with me at a gym in the Tanglewood area of how they left their purse in the car while they worked out, only for it to be stolen....I would be able to retire early. No kidding.

And get this....most of the time they just left it in the front seating the car...visible to all who strolled by. Geez Louise!

When I would ask them about this, like did you lock your valuables in the trunk, perhaps? ( which still could have been ripped off out of the trunk, especially if the preps saw you place the purse with the ole credit cards in said trunk) they looked at me like I was out of my mind for asking

Come on folks, no one lives in Utopia and there are no unicorns in the garden anywhere on planet Earth.

Guess those folks in the ghetto are just smarter than the average urban bear
In some places (well, mostly small towns but it also counts) this is quite normal to leave cars and even houses unlocked. And they also have a culture of not stealing from unlocked cars and houses. So it all depends on where you come from. There are many transplants from small US towns in Houston, not only from big cities or other countries.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:38 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,505,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
In some places (well, mostly small towns but it also counts) this is quite normal to leave cars and even houses unlocked. And they also have a culture of not stealing from unlocked cars and houses. So it all depends on where you come from. There are many transplants from small US towns in Houston, not only from big cities or other countries.

You should lock your cars and houses in any big city, but I will say that there is a bit of a blame the victim mentality to this attitude, of you should have done that and you may not have been robbed. It discounts the crime in some way and allows the Police a way to put these investigations on the shelf..

Old 03-15-2018, 09:24 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You should lock your cars and houses in any big city, but I will say that there is a bit of a blame the victim mentality to this attitude, of you should have done that and you may not have been robbed. It discounts the crime in some way and allows the Police a way to put these investigations on the shelf..
While there is no excusing thieves, everyone ought to know to never, ever, EVER leave anything of value within the passenger cabin of a vehicle parked at a commercial establishment, whether you are in the core of Houston or in even "nicer" suburbs. I'm stunned how many folks do this at restaurants along suburban freeways and are shocked, shocked! to find they've been burgled when they finish their meal.

Of course, then they look down the road at the forest of ugly pole signs and bleak parking lots and say, "See? Look how ghetto Houston is."

Old 03-15-2018, 09:34 AM

3,166 posts, read 2,055,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
While there is no excusing thieves, everyone ought to know to never, ever, EVER leave anything of value within the passenger cabin of a vehicle parked at a commercial establishment, whether you are in the core of Houston or in even "nicer" suburbs. I'm stunned how many folks do this at restaurants along suburban freeways and are shocked, shocked! to find they've been burgled when they finish their meal.

Of course, then they look down the road at the forest of ugly pole signs and bleak parking lots and say, "See? Look how ghetto Houston is."
Right - all of these people who think that any big city (or its suburbs) is a Mayberry are fooling themselves. Cities all over this country have petty crime. Some more and some less than Houston.

Just a silly thread in general.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:40 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default Opie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Right - all of these people who think that any big city (or its suburbs) is a Mayberry are fooling themselves. Cities all over this country have petty crime. Some more and some less than Houston.

Just a silly thread in general.
Ha... I think a vast majority of readers here will not know what 'Mayberry' is! It shows your age... Mayberry RFD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston