Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,318 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live near the NRG Stadium. I need a quite place to study on Sundays.

Do you know of any Library open on Sunday to study during the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 08:54 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,075 times
I would say the best would be Rice University's Fondren Library. Here are the hours: https://library.rice.edu/hours
That's a great place to study, and they don't have issues with non-students going there. I go all the time. You just have to show your id when you show up. It's a slight inconvenience, but then you get access to that great space and all those books--for free!

Old 04-30-2017, 09:18 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
Houston Public Library branches open on Sunday: Find a Library Location | Houston Public Library
  • Central Library (Downtown Houston): 1PM-5PM
  • HPL Express Discovery Green (Downtown Houston): 1PM-5PM
  • Parent Resource Library - Children's Museum of Houston (Museum District): 12PM-6PM
No Harris County Public Library facilities inside Beltway 8 are open on Sunday Locations | Harris County Public Library

The Bellaire Public Library is closed on Sunday https://www.bellairetx.gov/659/Hours-and-Location

Sounds like Rice University's library is open longer on Sunday. Other possibilities include University of Houston, Texas Southern University, and/or St. Thomas University's libraries. (I don't know if Houston Baptist allows visitors in its library)

Old 04-30-2017, 11:14 PM

36 posts, read 47,141 times
You do not want to go to Children's Museum Library to study. Its not a real library. Its just a small room with book shelves of children's books. Its loud and packed.

Try UH main campus library. I don't think you need an ID unless you try to enter the building late at night after hours. The front portion of the library used to be open 24 hours.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:04 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,440 times
Local libraries should be open on Sundays. Does not make sense that they are not.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:07 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,806,523 times
What is a library?

Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM

860 posts, read 1,585,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Local libraries should be open on Sundays. Does not make sense that they are not.
There isn't enough money in the COH budget to keep branch libraries open on Sundays. Probably isn't enough popular demand, either.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:41 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
I agree that they ought to be open on Sunday and instead closed Monday or Tuesday (like museums are) so the working population can enjoy them. Sadly that doesn't seem to be popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
There isn't enough money in the COH budget to keep branch libraries open on Sundays. Probably isn't enough popular demand, either.
From my previous post: Houston only has the two Downtown libraries open on Sunday (along with the Children's Museum one). Harris County only has its Cy-Fair library open on Sundays. The City of Bellaire doesn't have Sunday hours at all.

To see what the other libraries do:In Galveston County the municipalities operate the libraries:In Liberty County municipalities operate the libraries, and the state operates another one: (note that Mont Belvieu's library is operated by Chambers County and that's not open on Sunday)In Waller County there is a county system with two branches and one municipal library (City of Katy residents are served by the Harris County Library system's Katy Library which is not open on Sunday)----
Summary (TLDR):

Of the municipal libraries inside Beltway 8 only the two in Downtown Houston (Central Library and Discovery Green) and the Children's Museum library are open on Sunday.

So of all of the libraries outside Beltway 8 only Sterling Municipal Library (Baytown), Cy-Fair Library (Harris County), George Memorial Library in Richmond (Fort Bend County), Sienna Plantation Library (Fort Bend County), and Helen Hall Library (League City municipal) are open on Sunday.

Last edited by Vicman; 05-01-2017 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Forgot Pasadena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston