Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,935 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've finally found the perfect location and a new development in a River Park subdivision in the City of Sugarland. The problem is there are only 2 builders; Devon Street Homes and M/I Homes. My budget is between $420K-$450K but I'm concerned about build quality and luxury design options available. Does anyone have any experience with these two builders particularly the expertise and size/scale of their design centers. Any feedback would be helpful in making this decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 PM

64 posts, read 102,381 times
I recommend checking out the new Veranda MPC by Johnson Development Corp, many reputable builders, same schools as River Park and very near by the location you like, about 2 miles south.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:50 PM

360 posts, read 665,316 times
I have a Devon Street home and my family has lived in it for for 4 1/2 years. We haven't had any major issues with the home. I only have two complaints against the home. First, they used the CHEAPEST paint available. It shows every blemish, you can't even wipe it with WATER without causing a huge, ugly, PERMANENT stain. Second, we only received one a/c unit on a two-story 2500 sq ft home. At any time of the day, the upstairs can have a subtropical climate while the downstairs feels like the arctic, and vice versa. I'm assuming the a/c unit is too small (perhaps cheap?) or they really should have given us two. As far as the initial buying process, they will charge you for EVERY upgrade and their "upgrades" are standard options for most other builders. This was our first home and first build so we didn't know any better.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:21 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
Cheap paint is typical for new homes. They use a flat paint, the least expensive, and yes it can't be scrubbed clean - It comes right off the wall. The best solution for new builder homes with that flat paint is to repaint it.

An A/C company can tell you if your system 'fits' your size home. We have a 1.5 story home and there is a dead space where the vents don't hit, very noticeable temp change from downstairs to upstairs.

You could put in metal vent grates and replace the plastic ones. The metal put out more air, a good 30% more.

Anyway, back to the builders. I haven't heard of them. Builders I do know about are Taylor Morrison, Pulte, Perry, Trendmaker, David Weekly, etc.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I did decide to contract with this builder and I do recognize that the costs start racking up with the upgrades. I'm trying to be very strategic with my options and incentives. I'm opting for pre-wiring only for some electrical upgrades and I prefer to get better light fixtures and paint. I've not been to the design center yet and I'm excited and anxious about my first visit.

As far as the A/C goes: The builder is affiliated with this Environments for Living Program that claims the builder should use the right size A/C for your home. Will I need to get an independent company to determine this or can I trust that I won't have cooling issues like Key2thecity. Perhaps I should get a project manager (this was actually suggested by a friend of mine but I don't want to seem paranoid)...

Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 AM

You can have various stages of the build inspected. We had the framing inspected and also had a bug company come out and treat the wood with a termite repellant.

Some things to consider for upgrades: Gutters around the whole house. Builders usually only do the front. On one house we wanted the doorways square instead of the arches. You could also see if they'll pour a slab in back. It could be for a storage shed, an outdoor patio, or workshop type area.

If you have your heart set on a certain flooring.. . . You could go for the cheap builder stuff now and tear it up to put down what you want. A neighbor did that, putting down carpet, tore it up before moving in, and put down tile that looks like wood.

Another upgrade that you should get is the radiant barrier. Well, ours was an upgrade. Now I did try to get them to put a regular window in the master but they'd only put solid glass. *sigh* I wanted a window that opens.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:13 AM

Huh. Someone said I give ridiculous advice.

We lived in a Pulte home. We lived in a Morrison now Taylor Morrison home. We have had friends living in Perry homes. Those builders are popular and common throughout the Houston area. Just because I didn't know or hear about Devon Street Homes and M/I Homes doesn't mean I can't contribute. I wonder if these builders are 'new' or I just haven't heard about them.

I do know what it's like to live in a new home and the frustrations. I still remember the shower tile having no support behind it. It was slightly off and a simple push had the tile guys back out. . .

Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 AM

64 posts, read 102,381 times
Good luck with your build OP, also take a look at Devon Street's Inventory homes in encalve Park, which are all priced $40 - $50k below list price.. hopefully they are giving you at the minimum $40k in design credit to make it a fair deal.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,407 times
One of our homes is Devon Street Inventory home. It is two story and around 3000 sq ft and we got two AC units. Its been almost 3+ years and so far we are happy with it. The paint is what others have mentioned (not that great). The builder fixed all the issues that came up on the inspection report without any issues. My neighbor's house is a Perry home. While they have some better upgrades as default in bathroom and vanity, overall quality looks pretty similar.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
You can have various stages of the build inspected. We had the framing inspected and also had a bug company come out and treat the wood with a termite repellant.

Some things to consider for upgrades: Gutters around the whole house. Builders usually only do the front. On one house we wanted the doorways square instead of the arches. You could also see if they'll pour a slab in back. It could be for a storage shed, an outdoor patio, or workshop type area.

If you have your heart set on a certain flooring.. . . You could go for the cheap builder stuff now and tear it up to put down what you want. A neighbor did that, putting down carpet, tore it up before moving in, and put down tile that looks like wood.

Another upgrade that you should get is the radiant barrier. Well, ours was an upgrade. Now I did try to get them to put a regular window in the master but they'd only put solid glass. *sigh* I wanted a window that opens.
Thanks for the feedback. I was actually wondering whether I should upgrade to full gutters. I was surprised it wasn't standard but then again I just moved to Texas so maybe it's not necessary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston