Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 04:29 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,723,838 times

Advertisements

Seriously, they're awful. All the surface streets are suuuper bumpy and patchy it's ridiculous. I feel like I'm driving over land mines...boom boom boom...it's like all these random patches and divets and bumps and potholes, what's the deal with that? It's actually pretty annoying to drive in Houston like that.. My car is being put through the ringer here, jeeeez. I feel like I need new shocks and I've been here for 3 weeks.

Someone care to explain why the roads here are so terrible? I mean really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 04:48 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,821,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Seriously, they're awful. All the surface streets are suuuper bumpy and patchy it's ridiculous. I feel like I'm driving over land mines...boom boom boom...it's like all these random patches and divets and bumps and potholes, what's the deal with that? It's actually pretty annoying to drive in Houston like that.. My car is being put through the ringer here, jeeeez. I feel like I need new shocks and I've been here for 3 weeks.

Someone care to explain why the roads here are so terrible? I mean really.
Don't drive in the right hand lane. Buses tear those lanes up.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:58 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,723,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Don't drive in the right hand lane. Buses tear those lanes up.
lol if only it were just the right lanes then I wouldn't have a problem, but it aint. It's everywhere.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:07 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,821,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
lol if only it were just the right lanes then I wouldn't have a problem, but it aint. It's everywhere.
Hyperbole.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:11 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,808,498 times
We're a huge, sprawling city, with a ton of infrastructure to maintain, clay soil that expands and shifts, a tight budget strained by the pension crisis, a "lowest bidder" mentality when it comes to public and private construction projects, a mayor whose idea of fixing a road is throwing some asphalt in the biggest potholes, and plenty of residents who drive twice as much vehicle as they need. It's a wonder our roads aren't any worse.

Having lived here for 12 years, I'll say that in some parts of town, the roads have improved dramatically. Shepherd Drive, Kirby Drive, Holcombe Drive, and others used to be war zones. Now they've been rebuilt and are fine. Other areas with generally good surface streets include downtown and most of the "pocket cities" within Houston (West U and the Memorial Villages, and to a lesser degree, Bellaire).

We still have a long way to go, though. Just get a smooth-riding car, pass on the 22" rims, and put up with it.

Last edited by gwarnecke; 06-03-2017 at 05:19 PM..

Old 06-03-2017, 05:11 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,041,983 times
Surprisingly I've noticed that in the nicest areas of the inner loop have incredibly bad roads. Did they ever fix that stretch of San Felipe from Uptown to River Oaks? It was really bumpy.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:26 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,313,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
We're a huge, sprawling city, with a ton of infrastructure to maintain, clay soil that expands and shifts, a tight budget strained by the pension crisis, a "lowest bidder" mentality when it comes to public and private construction projects, a mayor whose idea of fixing a road is throwing some asphalt in the biggest potholes, and plenty of residents who drive twice as much vehicle as they need. It's a wonder our roads aren't any worse.
Correct reasons in black

Indirect reasons in gray

Incorrect reasons in white

Old 06-03-2017, 05:36 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,808,498 times
Well, in the sense that our roads were in poor shape before Turner was elected, and before our budget issues, I guess you have a point.

Regardless, if we had more money and a stronger commitment from those in charge to fully-rebuild more of our worst roads...

Old 06-03-2017, 05:44 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,304,600 times
Default Correct!

I usually defend Houston, but can't/won't when it comes to the roads. Absolutely embarrassing anytime I have to drive someone from out of town around.

A crew will come out to dig a hole in the street for a utility, then another crew, hired at the lowest bid, comes in and shovels some asphalt in it, then uses a "goTdamn" soil compactor! Soil Compactor! Knuckleheads. And the city never comes out to inspect it. This is Houston's best and brightest. And so you end up with a heavily patched road, bumpy and really hard on the suspension of even trucks! This makes my blood boil!

Mayor Turner, if you read this, do something about it! Do you remember all the fast action before the superbowl? 'Notice it is back to business as usual afterwards?

Old 06-03-2017, 06:05 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,313,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Well, in the sense that our roads were in poor shape before Turner was elected, and before our budget issues, I guess you have a point.
Not only that, Turner has done more to fix the roads than the previous mayors before him; at least he's trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston