Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 45,443 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for opinions on relocating to the Houston area. I have been down there for work a few times per year for the past 6 yrs, but have mostly just been either downtown or in the galleria. I am looking for neighborhood suggestions. So far, it looks like my best bets would be West U, the heights, or Bellaire for inner loop areas and sugar land for outside the loop.. here is some info:

1) the job is on greenway plaza near the double tree hotel. i would be willing to have a 30min commute and will likely work 630-3
2) i have 2 kids, 3.5 and 6 months.. schools are important and would prefer to send them to public schools.
3) would like to be able to walk to do things.. even if it is something small like going to a restaurant or ice cream shop
4) would really like a pool and not just a small modern looking spa pool like some of the ones in montrose - it make the move more attractive to my wife
5) 4+ bedrooms would be preferred.
6) my budget is anywhere up to about 1.2m for the right house

clements HS seems like it does the best on the SATs and I usually like to use that as a metric for school performance.. anything i am missing here?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 09:55 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
With your budget I would live in Houston. West U or the neighborhoods close to River Oaks (Afton oaks is one) are great for walkability. Bellaire and south side Place are great too.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:30 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,863 times
Yup, stick to Houston for sure. Southside Place would be a good place for you with really young children.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:23 AM

676 posts, read 931,478 times
I would go with Sugar Land. You will set more house and yard for your money out there. Schools are also better. Clements is one of the best in the US.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 AM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbikes07 View Post
Hello, I am looking for opinions on relocating to the Houston area. I have been down there for work a few times per year for the past 6 yrs, but have mostly just been either downtown or in the galleria. I am looking for neighborhood suggestions. So far, it looks like my best bets would be West U, the heights, or Bellaire for inner loop areas and sugar land for outside the loop.. here is some info:

1) the job is on greenway plaza near the double tree hotel. i would be willing to have a 30min commute and will likely work 630-3
2) i have 2 kids, 3.5 and 6 months.. schools are important and would prefer to send them to public schools.
3) would like to be able to walk to do things.. even if it is something small like going to a restaurant or ice cream shop
4) would really like a pool and not just a small modern looking spa pool like some of the ones in montrose - it make the move more attractive to my wife
5) 4+ bedrooms would be preferred.
6) my budget is anywhere up to about 1.2m for the right house

clements HS seems like it does the best on the SATs and I usually like to use that as a metric for school performance.. anything i am missing here?

thanks
Sugar Land has the best schools K-12. West U. and most of Bellaire can match or exceed them K-5. Heights does not have strong schools.

We basically did the same thing, looking at Sugar Land and inside the Loop back when we got married. We decided we liked the short commute and bought in West U. With your budget, unlike us, there isn't going to be much compromise on housing. Its a long time to middle school for you. You should consider the extra time you will have with the kids.

And we do have friends in West U. and the surrounding area who went to the local middle school (Pershing) or to the magnet (Pin Oak) and then to the IB program at Lamar HS. A lot can change in 8 years. You could get a different job. The schools could continue to improve. You could decide to send them to private school or you could decide to move.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:13 AM

190 posts, read 211,794 times
I'd agree that there isn't much point in looking past elementary. West U, Roberts, Twain, Horn, River Oaks are all top schools and you'd have an easy commute from any of those zones. Personally I think Poe is good too. It doesn't have the same reputation as the others, but it's got a large ESL program that skews the perception of the school, I think.

Walking distance to Rice Village is ideal, but there are pockets of restaurants and other amenities all through the area.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:21 AM

569 posts, read 1,078,569 times
West U or Southside Place for sure. You will love it!

Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
From my understanding a lot of West U parents send their kids to Lanier and Pin Oak, while some go to Pershing. Upper class parents who send their kids to Lamar go IB.

Central Houston's wealthiest areas IMO generally have schools/programs available on par with Sugar Land, even in middle and high school.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,916 times
You're unlikely to find a satisfactory house in Southside Place for under 1.2 million. In West U, you'll have some options as long as you don't mind a house that may be a bit older/smaller/in need of updating.

West U would be a great choice...5 minute commute to Greenway Plaza and an excellent elementary school. If you decide to move out to SL for better public middle/high schools, you'll likely benefit from greater appreciation than if you had bought a house in Sugar Land.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:57 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,018,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
you'll likely benefit from greater appreciation than if you had bought a house in Sugar Land.
Not only that, but you'll have a very hard time selling a SL house over $1MM. That alone is a good reason to stick to the best inner loop neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston