Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:16 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Here's my issue with any big church that didn't open right away

I'm always asked to give money to church to help "people in Haiti and Africa that are starving"
I grew up in a 3rd World country and I know how easy it is for somebody to steal that money, if they wanted to
How easy? As easy as ordering a pizza over the phone.

Now, that the "needy" are in Houston
all of a sudden ... at least for a few days ... they are too busy to help the needy

that's is my issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:27 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Osteen's megachurch only provides shelter from taxes.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:38 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
I don't know how many of you actually go to church, but the Pastor doesn't own the church. Usually, at churches that large, the Pastor has very little say on operations. They have a board that votes. He could have said open the church and the board could have been saying "wait and lets plan first". Who says he has to take in all those strangers? Have you seen what's been going on in the Covention Center? There are FB videos showing a couple having sex on their cot with all those people around. If you want to see the video, send me your FB name and I'll tag you. People do weird stuff when it's not their property.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:47 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Don't defend Joel Osteen. He has millions and plenty of sway. He could have and should have been a first responder. He was not even a second, third, fourth or fifth responder. This is not the way a Christian behaves. He first said his church was flooded all around it and it was shown in video not to be so. Now he's saying the city didn't ask him to. He did not have to wait for the city to ask him to. Repent Joel and ask for forgiveness. Practice what you preach.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:48 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I don't know how many of you actually go to church, but the Pastor doesn't own the church. Usually, at churches that large, the Pastor has very little say on operations. They have a board that votes. He could have said open the church and the board could have been saying "wait and lets plan first". Who says he has to take in all those strangers? Have you seen what's been going on in the Covention Center? There are FB videos showing a couple having sex on their cot with all those people around. If you want to see the video, send me your FB name and I'll tag you. People do weird stuff when it's not their property.
This is on point.

Some may think I am defending Osteen, but I am not.

Everyone's situation is different. We are not machines that all behave the same way - and you put in a formula and it spits out what we should do.

Input - hurricane disaster, large church.... Output - open within 24 hours for shelter. That is the formula on which most people are operating.

I'm just saying... wait and be patient. God can use people in different means and methods to help others.

If he does nothing or very little, I will be wondering right along with the rest of you. Ultimately he is accountable to God. God will handle the issue in His time, as He sees fit.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:51 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Osteen could have helped a lot of people. He has the means to do so. He chose not to.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:07 PM

363 posts, read 557,904 times
Anyone defending this charlatan's actions during this horrific natural disaster is just as low as Osteen. There is zero defense during a mega-crisis as Harvey.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:16 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
That didn't stop Mattress Mack from helping people from day one

Old 08-30-2017, 03:26 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That didn't stop Mattress Mack from helping people from day one
No,but because he's a business he'll probably get a tax write-off for it. There's always a hidden reason. I'm pretty sure he knew he'llget publicity by doing that and he was right. Now people want to come buyfrom him just because of that. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Churches don't pay taxes beside the typical payroll taxes for their staff so theywon't be able to write it off as a loss.

Also,how many people did he take it? Taking in a few hundred vs afew thousand is a big difference. You try to provide for a fewthousand people and let them run free in your facility with no if any supervision. Remember the Super Dome after Katrina?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
All I know is that I'd tithe to any church Mattress Mack started before I'd buy a single piece of furniture from Joel Osteen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston