Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times

Advertisements

I was watching video from Hurricane Irma and I could see the streets of downtown Miami flood, but it appears their curbs are higher than in Houston and the buildings all have hurricane shutters. Even looking in the suburbs, the homes all have hurricane shutters. The condos in Tampa and Miami are all on higher floors with parking on lower levels.

Basically Miami and Tampa suffered very little devastation compared to Houston and Houston only got tropical storm winds while Miami and Tampa suffered hurricane force winds.

Is there more that Houston could learn from Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:28 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I was watching video from Hurricane Irma and I could see the streets of downtown Miami flood, but it appears their curbs are higher than in Houston and the buildings all have hurricane shutters. Even looking in the suburbs, the homes all have hurricane shutters. The condos in Tampa and Miami are all on higher floors with parking on lower levels.

Basically Miami and Tampa suffered very little devastation compared to Houston and Houston only got tropical storm winds while Miami and Tampa suffered hurricane force winds.

It also appears they got way less rain than Houston (like 20+ inches less rain), but don't let that super huge fact stop you.

Flooding wasn't the biggest concern with Irma (outside of storm surge). It was the WIND. Luckily Cuba severely weakened Irma before it turned north into Florida. The concern with Harvey was always flooding since it was predicted it would stall.

What Houston could learn from Miami is creating for catch basins. Miami's suburbs and outlying areas are dotted with them. Houston could do a better jobs with roads too, but that's a Florida thing (the state has very good roads compared to Texas).

Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,019,655 times
Did we consider the speed at which Irma moved out of the area vs. Harvey? Of course not, or this wouldn't even be a question.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Did we consider the speed at which Irma moved out of the area vs. Harvey? Of course not, or this wouldn't even be a question.
It's a cbach thread. What did you expect?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 AM

958 posts, read 2,573,487 times
For Houston

Harvey was a rain event. 50" of rain but not much wind damage.

Irma was a wind event. I think most of the flooding was from the storm surge, less so from rain.

Last edited by predatorprey; 09-12-2017 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-12-2017, 09:15 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
For Houston

Harvey was a rain event. 50" of rain but it much wind damage.

Irma was a wind event. I think most of the flooding was from the storm surge, less so from rain.
Exactly. It was a completely different kind of storm. If Irma was like Harvey, Irma would still be parked over Miami today.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:26 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Much of the worst damage from Irma was in Jacksonville, for whom it was similar to Harvey.....primarily a rain event due to being on the NE quadrant of the storm. I lived there for a year, and still have friends there, and from what I can gather on social media, there was a fair amount of flooding, similar to Houston (though they certainly had nowhere near the rain amounts we did). Our former next door neighbors flooded for the 2nd time in as many years, and Jax previously always had the reputation of being much less vulnerable to storms than South Florida.

That said, I think yes, there is a lot we can potentially learn from them and their building codes and general attitude towards storms. I think Hurricane prep is a bit more ingrained in FL than it is here, but that's just my opinion.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:46 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Move by the beach?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,327 times
Quote:

Galveston fared well. So may be Miami could learn from Galveston.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:07 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Facts?
You are in the wrong place dude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston