Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 AM

134 posts, read 297,128 times

Advertisements

Hello, folks,
I just moved to Houston, and in the process of switching my career. I am in my middle-30's, with a B.S. in mathematics. Currently, I am thinking about switching to accounting, and becoming a CPA if possible.
Did you have some advice for me in terms of a good school with reasonable tuition rates in Houston? Also how is the job market for new accounting grads here without much experience? (I am a bit nervous about this experience thing, and it could be a killer for me at my age, to be honest.)
Thanx ahead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM

39 posts, read 154,438 times
I moved to Houston to get my first accounting job. I would say overall that the area is great for accounting. As far as schools, i would choose a AACSB accredited school. I'm sure U of H is accredited but do not know for sure. Here's deal with a degree in accounting: just about everything you will need to learn is taught in 4-5 classes. Accounting principles, and the intermediate accounting courses. since you have a background in mathematics, I assume that you have a strong foundation of logical thinking. If so, the courses will be easy. Keep in mind that college is nothing like the real world. If you get good grades, make sure to learn Excel, and join Beta Alpha Psi I would imagine you will have no problems finding work especially with your mathematics background. Your employer will teach you everything else you need to know. If you go to interview and know how to nest functions, do vlookups, If statements, sort, filter, pivot tables, etc. that will be a huge plus. It is amazing to me how many people at my current company do not know how to use all of the tools that excel offers.

Since you already have a degree, you will have your 150 hours of education required to get your CPA after you graduate. From there, you can sit for the exam and you will be a CPA in no time. I am planning on sitting at the end of the year.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM

134 posts, read 297,128 times
Thanx, gassman40,
How long did it take you to land your first job in accounting after you finished school? To be very honest with you, I feel extremely nervous about it.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 PM

39 posts, read 154,438 times
I am from Florida and was looking for a job for about 18 months there before I finally realized that it is never going to happen. I submitted my resume to the company I work for now and about a week later I had my phone interview. Two days after that I was on my way to Houston for an in person-interview and I officially moved to Houston two weeks after that, on the Fourth of July.

I do not know what you do for a living now, but If you could start looking for an accounting related job now it would probably help. It will not pay a lot but if you can find an Accounts Payable or Receivables job it may help in the future. It could be entirely possible that you could start there and wind up doing GL accounting before you even graduate if you have the aptitude for it.

On top of that, if you have the complete package coming out of school and do not mind working long days, The big 4 firms love hiring new grads. You will need a good GPA and networking skills, but that is a good way to go. A lot of people think that big 4 experience is like finding the golden ticket.

I walked into my interview with almost no experience at all except for a short internship and some management experience as a shift manager at a bar. While speaking to the controller during the interview I told him point blank that i do not have much experience, but that I know I can do the work. I told him that I like taking ownership of the things I do and that this job would be no different. That interview lasted 8 hours. That was 9 months ago. Today, I am being considered for a senior position in my company that requires 4 years experience. If you go in with the attitude like you own it without being cocky, You will be ok. I think that the thing that got me the job was that I didnt focus on my education or past experience, I focused on the fact that I "get" accounting. I have the opportunity I do today because honestly, At least in my company, not a lot of people "get" it. If you get it your golden.

Accounting is not math. It is a logical process. A lot of people think it is all math related but truthfully, the most difficult math related thing I do all day is multiply and divide.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,470,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gassman40 View Post
As far as schools, i would choose a AACSB accredited school. I'm sure U of H is accredited but do not know for sure.
Bauer as a whole is accredited but the Accounting Department is also accredited, a rarity.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 PM

25 posts, read 59,788 times
Learn how to work with financial statements. That by far is your most important asset if you want to move up in accounting. Without it you will hit a ceiling very quickly.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,470,716 times
Since you already have a degree, take the Certificate of Accountancy Program (here or a similar program at your local community college as the cheaper option) and you'll be "CPA ready". The M.S. Accountancy is up to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: