Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 11:42 AM

22 posts, read 25,630 times

Advertisements

Trying to make sense out of these programs and scoring system:

1. What guarantees admission to a magnet program?
Are there test score cut offs? Or the admission is strictly based on lottery independent of the scores?

2. What are the advantages of magnet programs over neighborhood vanguard programs?
Are the classes homogenous in magnet programs? or mixed with general ed as well?
Are there any neighborhood vanguard programs that are homogenous?

3. If you qualify for vanguard GT programs (what are the cut off points for qualifying), are you guaranteed admission in a zoned neighborhood vanguard program for that grade?

4. Once in a neighborhood program, can you transfer to a magnet program?

5. What are the general class sizes in the vanguard programs?

5. How do I find info on which vanguard elementary programs feed on to which middle or high school programs?
or do you have to test at middle and high school levels as well?

6. Any glaring concerns about the vanguard programs?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 01:09 PM

190 posts, read 211,794 times
1. If you are zoned to the school and you qualify then you have automatic admission. There is one score cutoff, but above that cutoff it doesn't matter. All qualified students have equal chance in lottery.

2. The only real advantage for the magnet schools is if it moves you to a better school. If your zoned school is better than the magnet school then you probably don't want the magnet school. Some schools mix G/T into the general population, some don't. Generally the higher rated the school the more likely they will mix, because most of the students there are G/T anyway. IB schools aren't allowed to segregate children.

3. Yes. I can't remember the cutoff.

4. If you win the lottery, yes. But there aren't many spots for the most coveted schools.

5. I don't think it's any different. All magnet schools are required to be under-crowded. A lot of the top schools are over-crowded, and have class size waivers, which is why they no longer have magnet programs.

6. There are no special vanguard feeders. You have to reapply for the lottery again at each level if you aren't zoned for the schools.

7. The good vanguard magnet schools get 10 qualified applicants for each slot, so your backup plan is really important.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:33 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,281 times
There is a magnet program info fair on October 14th from 9-12 at Westbury High School. All magnet school programs will be there so it’s a one stop shop to get info about various schools you might be interested in. There will be 2 more fairs if you can’t make that one.

School Choice / By Level

Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM

958 posts, read 2,573,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanduzz123 View Post
Trying to make sense out of these programs and scoring system:

1. What guarantees admission to a magnet program? Nothing. Sibling have advantages but still not guarenteed. Not even twins.
Are there test score cut offs? Or the admission is strictly based on lottery independent of the scores?
GT rest is pass or fail. If our pass you’re added in the lottery. Supposedly it’s equal chance if you don’t have sibling preference.

2. What are the advantages of magnet programs over neighborhood vanguard programs?
Are the classes homogenous in magnet programs? or mixed with general ed as well?
Are there any neighborhood vanguard programs that are homogenous?

Just because you’re in the neighborhood vanguard magnet school doesn’t mean your child is in the vanguard program. Still have to pass GT test.

Glasses not not homogenous unless the school is vanguard only. Ie. th Rodgers. Classes will be mixed usually.

3. If you qualify for vanguard GT programs (what are the cut off points for qualifying), are you guaranteed admission in a zoned neighborhood vanguard program for that grade? No

4. Once in a neighborhood program, can you transfer to a magnet program? Yes, harder to get in at non entry grades. Not many seats available usually

5. What are the general class sizes in the vanguard programs? 22. Same as any other s school. Unless they request and obtain a waiver.

5. How do I find info on which vanguard elementary programs feed on to which middle or high school programs?
or do you have to test at middle and high school levels as well?

Don’t have to test in as once you’re Gt you’re always gt. But gotta apply and win the lottery tat that time. Unless your at a magnet school that Already has a middle school program included. Ie. th Rodgers and Mims

6. Any glaring concerns about the vanguard programs? Too much pressure and too much homework for kids. We went pure magnet program and decided against pure vanguard school even though our children qualified.

Thank you so much!
I’m pretty sure all info I provided is accurate

Old 10-04-2017, 10:22 AM

Thank you for all the info.
Interesting and frustrating how the GT programs vary from state to state., making out of state moves and education decisions so hard.

Can you provide some info on the pure magnet programs that you mentioned.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
If you are on FB and are thinking about HISD vanguard or magnet, you should join "HISD Magnet Families." Lots of helpful people there!

Old 10-04-2017, 03:09 PM

958 posts, read 2,573,626 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the info.
Interesting and frustrating how the GT programs vary from state to state., making out of state moves and education decisions so hard.

Can you provide some info on the pure magnet programs that you mentioned.
If you're not yet made the move to the HISD attendance area you cannot even apply yet.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:26 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,281 times
Yes, when do you plan on moving? As someone who just moved back from Europe, I was (and am) brand new to the whole process myself.

Due to that fact, I made sure we rented a house that was zoned to a good neighborhood school - and it happens to be a good vanguard magnet school as well (Oak forest Elementary). I knew we wouldn’t get into a magnet program this year. She will be tested (she’s currently in second grade) and we will apply for next year.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:26 AM

We will officially move only early next year.
This lottery system is so confusing. So, after elementary school (after magnet vanguard), you still wait for the lottery results for a magnet middle school? What if you do not get a spot? Go in to the zoned middle school? or private? or change your housing area to fit the needs of your kids?

We are currently in Seattle, and once your kids scores above 99th percentile for the qualifying tests, you are guaranteed admission to an HCC (highly capable cohort) program which is homogenous, and has mapped middle and high school programs...

Has anyone gone to court for school admissions after out of state moves ? Asking because the tests in Seattle are not accepted in HISD and private testing is not available for the tests that HISD requires. I do not want my child to be at a disadvantage because we had to move. Court appeals are common in Seattle.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:35 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
We will officially move only early next year.
This lottery system is so confusing. So, after elementary school (after magnet vanguard), you still wait for the lottery results for a magnet middle school? What if you do not get a spot? Go in to the zoned middle school? or private? or change your housing area to fit the needs of your kids?

We are currently in Seattle, and once your kids scores above 99th percentile for the qualifying tests, you are guaranteed admission to an HCC (highly capable cohort) program which is homogenous, and has mapped middle and high school programs...

Has anyone gone to court for school admissions after out of state moves ? Asking because the tests in Seattle are not accepted in HISD and private testing is not available for the tests that HISD requires. I do not want my child to be at a disadvantage because we had to move. Court appeals are common in Seattle.
^^ Yes. Unless you get in an elementary that also has a middle school, such as TH Rogers, you have to go through the same process for middle school and high school. And consider moving, private school, etc. if you're not zoned well and don't win the lottery.

I don't know about the legal questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: