Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 04:34 PM

9 posts, read 8,292 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently living in Dallas and am honestly not really enjoying my time here. There are definitely good things about Dallas, namely that people are friendly, the weather is nice, and you get a decent amount of amenities of world class cities, like SF/NYC at a much cheaper price.

The issue I'm having with Dallas is that, while people are pleasant to talk to, it does feel like some of the stereotypes of Dallas being very superficial and closed-minded in a lot of respects holds true. As someone who isn't a tall, caucasian, Christian guy, I've found it really hard to date here compared to just about any other city. I don't want to call it racism or whatever, because that's just a cop out. The reality is that people prefer people that are similar to them, and I've found that in general people aren't similar to me in the downtown area, although I'm aware it's a little bit different in Plano, etc.

I'm in a bit of a bind because in general, I prefer Southern living over the east coast living I used to do. I enjoy the warmer weather/sunshine, the fact that people here aren't workaholics, etc. That said, there is a lot more diversity in terms of race and especially in interests up North. In Dallas, it seems like if you aren't a Cowboys-obsessed, golf-playing, Caucasian male that goes to Church on Sunday, you're pretty hard-pressed to have a social life.

Based on some anecdotes, it seems Houston is a bit more relaxed compared to the areas near downtown Dallas, and a lot more diverse, even in the city center. Additionally, Houston has a strong medical/healthcare side to it, which is something I'm interested in pursuing as an industry focus.

Could it be that Dallas is just a bad fit for me and that I'd be happier in another, major southern city like Houston, or would the same problems I'm having in Dallas exist in Houston?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 05:13 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,710,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter40 View Post
In Dallas, it seems like if you aren't a Cowboys-obsessed, golf-playing, Caucasian male that goes to Church on Sunday, you're pretty hard-pressed to have a social life.
Dallas & Houston are basically identical racially. Move here and white guys in golf shirts will still wreak havoc on your social life.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:44 PM

814 posts, read 761,192 times
Dallas is a little more pretentious compared to Houston. You might have a little better luck dating here, but don't expect a world of difference. TBH white women (and many others) prefer white men all around the country, even in the most liberal places.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:57 PM

61,857 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Little more Asians in Houston, though. If that's what OP is asking for...

Old 10-29-2017, 06:05 PM

11,866 posts, read 26,910,887 times
If that's your impression of social life in Dallas, then you aren't hanging out with the right people. (Neither myself nor any of my friends are golfers or Cowboys fans, nor are we church goers.) Maybe you need to get out of the downtown area and try some other parts of town. Look for a charity to volunteer with, join a group on Meetup, or go to some festivals.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 PM

11,134 posts, read 7,191,653 times
It's not a demographics and race issue, or difference, between the towns. It's more of a attitude and cultural difference. I wouldn't dwell on race, but look at the mindset differences. Houston's way larger and broader in scope.

OP - In the end, only investigating it here and maybe trying it out will be the only way to know. There's no formula where we can put in numbers and give you a definitive answer.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:43 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,635,371 times
While I do think Dallas generally can be a little bit more pretentious and clickish in social circle I never had any problems dating and socializing when I would visit DFW and i'm not a white guy nor do I like golf. And I know what i'm talking about because several of my ex's are from Dallas. I do think Houston generally tends to be more socially laid-back and diverse when it comes to the social scene.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:40 AM

24,020 posts, read 15,120,909 times
I know exactly what you mean. The first thing new people I met wanted to know about me was when was I saved.

Are you close to Park Cities and SMU? That may be the problem. It takes awhile to get used to a new place and find your niche.

I have lived in both places. As far as government and knowing how to run a place is concerned, Dallas is way better at it. They do not have the mess of disenfranchised no man's land like unincorporated Harris county.

My kid moved there and his wife hated it. They came back to Houston for a bit, then she suggested they go back to Dallas. They love it so much they would never consider moving back to Houston.

I would move back today.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:13 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,769,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter40 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently living in Dallas and am honestly not really enjoying my time here. There are definitely good things about Dallas, namely that people are friendly, the weather is nice, and you get a decent amount of amenities of world class cities, like SF/NYC at a much cheaper price.

The issue I'm having with Dallas is that, while people are pleasant to talk to, it does feel like some of the stereotypes of Dallas being very superficial and closed-minded in a lot of respects holds true. As someone who isn't a tall, caucasian, Christian guy, I've found it really hard to date here compared to just about any other city. I don't want to call it racism or whatever, because that's just a cop out. The reality is that people prefer people that are similar to them, and I've found that in general people aren't similar to me in the downtown area, although I'm aware it's a little bit different in Plano, etc.

I'm in a bit of a bind because in general, I prefer Southern living over the east coast living I used to do. I enjoy the warmer weather/sunshine, the fact that people here aren't workaholics, etc. That said, there is a lot more diversity in terms of race and especially in interests up North. In Dallas, it seems like if you aren't a Cowboys-obsessed, golf-playing, Caucasian male that goes to Church on Sunday, you're pretty hard-pressed to have a social life.

Based on some anecdotes, it seems Houston is a bit more relaxed compared to the areas near downtown Dallas, and a lot more diverse, even in the city center. Additionally, Houston has a strong medical/healthcare side to it, which is something I'm interested in pursuing as an industry focus.

Could it be that Dallas is just a bad fit for me and that I'd be happier in another, major southern city like Houston, or would the same problems I'm having in Dallas exist in Houston?

Thanks for your help!
^^Translation^^.....is it easer to knock white women and fit in with the caucasian crowd in Houston?

I'd say it shouldn't be any different than Dallas, remember....the south is still the south.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:28 AM

986 posts, read 1,274,225 times
I've lived in both and they seemed pretty similar to me. But I'm a white chick and I wasn't dating either time, so I can't say that I really tested out the singles scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston