Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 8,990 times

Advertisements

Hello forum,

Been a long time lurker, been pulling my hair out for a while now. In desperate need for help.

So, long story short:
I work in the energy corridor, the wife works in greenspoint.
Currently renting in the heights - very convenient (commute and location).
Its time to look for more space, we just had a baby girl

Budget - <400k

Here comes the trouble. We have been looking for a single family home
Requirements:
  1. <30min commute time to greenspoint, if possible <30min to my work (energy corridor)
  2. single family home no more than 2 floors (parents and inlaws frequently visit us and they cannot take the
    stairs that well)
  3. Good to have a park nearby, neighborhood (to walk around and for baby)
  4. We are ok with buying and moving on in 3 years time to a suburb when time for schools and friends. so should be resellable/rentable?

Katy, Sugarland, Pearland, Woodlands, Humble are just out of question - too much travel for either or both of us)

The neighborhoods ideal for Req. 1:
The heights, garden oaks, jersey village, vintage park area (by 249).

Unfortunately, we are being priced out of the heights/garden oaks (trying to avoid townhomes based on Req. 2, 3) We love the heights neighborhood for its commute convenience rather than anything it offers within itself (food bar etc.) so i don't mind living elsewhere, if convenience is not very compromised.

Jersey village has quite a bit old homes for sale (not sure if it that bad a thing). There are few new construction west of jones rd, between all those apartment complexes. These are priced well for my budget (~300k), but I have a few questions:
Q1. How is the neighborhood there?
Q2. Not sure if they will hold value?
Q3. The zoned schools are pretty bad, how will that affect my home value?
Q4. It is 2 minutes away from 290. will it positively affect the house value once 290 is complete?

I took a look at Tomball (its within 25min drive to greenspoint), and I must admit love the landscaping there. but it is so far out. probably will take an hour for me each way to get to work.
Q5. Is it worth exploring tomball option? is it worth the commute for me?

Q6. Are there any more neighborhoods i should look at, if I could relax a few requirements above?

Q7. Are old homes a hassle to work with?

My realtor is trying to be helpful, but haven't been able to make my mind up.

I would feel much better if you could educate me a bit more to make my decision making easier. any sort of input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!

Last edited by skaushikk; 11-21-2017 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: added budget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 02:04 PM

694 posts, read 836,374 times
I vote Jersey Village... Tomball is way past your drive time limit to the Energy Corridor.

As you aren't looking to necessarily stay there forever, I think its more about what items will likely be due for replacement soon... roofs and air conditioners are the big ticket items that tend to need replacement between 10 and 15 years..older homes where these have been replace recently are not a bad risk.....newer homes approaching these dates will eventually cost you some money.

Pay extra when you buy, and have a professional check the foundation. a great many Houston homes have cracked foundations.

8713 Wyndham Village Dr, Jersey Village, TX 77040 - HAR.com

Last edited by SugLandDAd; 11-21-2017 at 02:14 PM..

Old 11-21-2017, 02:40 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,027 times
Q7. Old homes can be a big hassle. After ripping open the walls of our Harvey-flooded 1970s rent house and seeing the old plumbing/electrical, I'm amazed that it never burned down or suffered catastrophic plumbing failure (we're fixing it right, though).

I still like old houses, because old usually means closer-in, more convenient locations, mature trees, and established neighborhoods with stable % rentals vs owner-occupied homes. Just try to find a house where major systems are in good shape, and ideally recently-replaced (roof, appliances, HVAC, etc).

Old 11-21-2017, 03:38 PM

234 posts, read 425,462 times
I would also look at Spring Shadows, Kempwood area. Nice established neighborhood. Homes are older but some have been updated. That area did not flood.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:08 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times
Why not Oak Forest?

Old 11-21-2017, 04:39 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,140,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Why not Oak Forest?
Because he won’t find much of what he’s looking for on tht budget. I’m running into the same problem, and I live there.

What about Timbergrove Manor, Lazybrook? The homes will be a little older, but they are mostly ranch style, near parks, have sidewalks, and more within your budget.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:47 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Also look in northern Spring Branch, off Kempwood. 1960s-1970s homes.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:24 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Jersey Village, and also inside the beltway look at Woodwind Lakes, Oak Lake Pointe, Laurel Creek neighborhoods. Very nice neighborhoods zoned to Gleason/Cook/JV. Less than half an hour to Energy Corridor, Greenspoint, downtown.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
I vote Jersey Village... Tomball is way past your drive time limit to the Energy Corridor.

As you aren't looking to necessarily stay there forever, I think its more about what items will likely be due for replacement soon... roofs and air conditioners are the big ticket items that tend to need replacement between 10 and 15 years..older homes where these have been replace recently are not a bad risk.....newer homes approaching these dates will eventually cost you some money.

Pay extra when you buy, and have a professional check the foundation. a great many Houston homes have cracked foundations.

8713 Wyndham Village Dr, Jersey Village, TX 77040 - HAR.com
Thanks for the response!

Jersey village is in such a perfect location for us. As mentioned, i find pretty old homes around there. There is a new David Weekley community just west of West Road, Sams club.
125 Saddle, Jersey Village, TX 77065 - HAR.com

It is zoned to pretty bad schools, right in between other better jersey village schools. What would one pick, this new home in bad schools zone, or older homes in mature community within the Jersey village like the one you linked? (i know it might be a personal preference, but I am not able to think objectively, since i will mostly move on in a few years for her school)

Old 11-21-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Q7. Old homes can be a big hassle. After ripping open the walls of our Harvey-flooded 1970s rent house and seeing the old plumbing/electrical, I'm amazed that it never burned down or suffered catastrophic plumbing failure (we're fixing it right, though).

I still like old houses, because old usually means closer-in, more convenient locations, mature trees, and established neighborhoods with stable % rentals vs owner-occupied homes. Just try to find a house where major systems are in good shape, and ideally recently-replaced (roof, appliances, HVAC, etc).
I probably will understand what you mean (in relation to repairs) if I take time to readup, but it is something right over my head. Just haven't had to deal with any repairs during apartment living. That is probably why most folk run to new constructions.

What is your response to my question above about the new Weekley construction. If thats a negative, i may have to look into older homes in the inner Jersey village burb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston