Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:22 PM

98 posts, read 91,258 times

Advertisements

Very moving post and I am glad I made the decision to move here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/houston/com...en_incredible/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 02:57 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Let's go ahead and post it here

Quote:
On Friday I fly back to the UK after living in this great city for the last 5 years. Ever since I was a kid my dream was to live in the USA and I can safely say that living here in Houston has surpassed all my [high] expectations of living in America.
I remember when I first arrived here. I dropped my bags off, went to the bar, sat down at the bar and within 5 minutes I was doing shots with the guy sat next to me....it set the tone for how friendly, hospitable and welcoming you all are in my next 5 years here.
I grew up loving football (American, not soccer) so as soon as I got here I got a Texans season ticket and went to every single game. Even though we had some bad games, I was still loving it, taking in the atmosphere and embracing it all. (For those curious, the reason why I was able to get a season ticket so quick was because I only wanted one for myself and you just have to call the ticket office to ask, otherwise you go on the wait list for 2 or more tickets).
I also got into baseball since being here. So from going from the team being terrible 5 years ago to world champions just before I leave is amazing!
I even tried to join the national guard to give back to this great state and country, but as I didn't have a green card, only visa, they wouldn't let me enlist (even though I'm ex royal marines). That sucked, but I understood their reasons.
The vehicles...omg the vehicles are massive here haha. I got a truck as soon as I could, because, 'murica! Adapting to drive on the other side of the road was a challenge for sure!
When Harvey hit, I volunteered at the GRB and saw first hand the devastation that was brought upon this city, but on the flipside I also saw the strength that this city had. Everyone pulled together, everyone was strong and Houston rebuilt. I was really proud to have done my part to help out. Keep volunteering guys, there is still work to be done.
If I had the chance, I would remain here for the rest of my life. So with that said, I just wanted to say thanks to each and every one of you. I know I probably don't know any of you, but all of you make Houston what it is and it has been by far the best experience of my life....heck, I just got a Texas State tattoo last weekend! Haha
Please don't take this place for granted guys. You have the most amazing city and I would live here the rest of my life if I could. I know sometimes you may think 'oh this place sucks' or 'my god, I'm bored here's, but please appreciate this place....it truly is an incredible place.
I hope to be back one day, I really do. I'm still gonna lurk on this subreddit so in can keep in touch with what's going on in H-Town, but in the meantime.....have a good one lads and ladies, it's been a friggin blast!
[Ps.....if you see a wasted British guy at Irish cowboy on Thursday night, that's me having leaving drinks with friends and coworkers....come say hi!)

Old 11-30-2017, 03:05 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Kind of awesome.

I think this is more of an illustration that fun people have fun and not necessarily that Houston is that outstanding.

It’s much the same way I approach people who say Houston is lame or boring. Lame and boring people need a place like NYC in order to get some excitement, because those individuals are no fun.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:26 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
I like a lot of things about Houston
warm weather, close to the beach, very diverse Latinamerican population, etc, etc.

But seeing the way everybody helped during Harvey was amazing
After that, I can truly say that I love Houston.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:59 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,526 times
Thanks for a positive post like this, the anti-Houston trolls become tiresome.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:05 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,145 times
I move here 13 years ago. No regrets! Great post.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:04 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,237,559 times
I had a DirecTV service man come Wednesday, he was from Iraq. Worked for the US military over there, and when his contract was up, they offered to relocate him to the US if he wanted. He did, and came to Houston. This was about 5 years ago.

I asked him why Houston, and he said he had a cousin that had come here, and spoke highly of it. I asked him what he thought.

He said he loved it here. The people were friendly, nobody gave him a hard time about being Iraqi, or Muslim. He'd heard how friendly Texas was, and now he could say it was true, from first-hand experience. He was an intelligent person, learning programming in his spare time, and he felt there was no limit to what he could do here.

He kept going on and on about how open & welcoming everyone was to him, and couldn't say enough positive things about Texas in general, and Houston specifically.

As a native who prides himself in our Texas warmth, it's always gratifying to hear it from a transplant first-hand.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:43 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times
Interesting how the people who dumped on the guy who made that long video about how Houston is racist is now giving this also completely one sided essay a pass.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:58 AM

218 posts, read 220,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Interesting how the people who dumped on the guy who made that long video about how Houston is racist is now giving this also completely one sided essay a pass.
Probably because that "long video guy" was irrational. He himself did not help to lend credence to his argument. Consequentially nobody took him seriously. On the other hand this gentleman not only sounded like a normal, rational person, but also did not exaggerate his statements to the point where they were clearly unbelievable like the other person.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:08 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Contrary to the general opinion right now, not everything has to be an argument, and not every thread needs to be crapped on. It's ok to have something that's nice, and saccharine sweet, and heartfelt, and just let it be what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston