Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:29 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,000,436 times

Advertisements

I'm headed to TX in 2-wks for relocation & will find an apt rental. My focus is in & around the Houston area. For now, let's just leave job out of it... I can live anywhere in/around the area, but would like to be within an hour-ish commute into downtown, if needed. I'm a girl, I live alone, my top priority is a safe 'hood, even if I have to opt for higher rents or being further from town.

I can afford what I like, but as I'll no doubt move after my 1-yr lease expires, I just want a safe 'hood & any size apt, just to get settled, at the cheapest rent I can find. Once there for 1-yr, I'll know where to move next. Basically, if I can pay rent under $900, I'd be overjoyed.

Firstly, I was hoping someone could suggest a few areas I could live in that might fit the above criteria? According to the crime maps on realtor.com, most of Houston seems to be high crime. I was told that might not be correct, but I've got nothing to base it on, since I haven't lived in TX... I've only visited. Katy & Pfluggerville were suggested as places to check out. I've seen rentals in The Woodlands (higher rents of course), but that looked appealing as it's supposed to be green with many parks & walking trails, which I'd love. I'd probably opt to go much lower rent, but I'll definitely check out the area, when I arrive.

But, here's my real concern, revolving around the extras added to leases. Boca Raton, FL is the 1st & only time I've run into this issue & I've lived in 10 states. My rent here is $1350, but it's really about $1700+ once the following are added in:

Mandatory renter's insurance
Mandatory surety bond... in the event I don't pay rent, it covers their court costs. If rent has been paid, as it has, it is not refundable.
Mandatory $100K liability policy... to cover them for any damage I leave.
Although I live in an apt complex & have never paid these with any rental in any state, I pay water, trash, sewer, which isn't cheap.
In addition to the above dumpster p/u, I also pay $30/mo for mandatory valet trash collection from my front door, 5-days/wk.

Coming from SoCal, I was used to a $30 electric bill... we don't need a/c or heat. It's $100-120/mo here, since the a/c must run most of the time. So, if someone could give me a ballpark on electric costs for a/c in Houston, I'd appreciate that, too. I'm assuming it might be more?

Are the above add-ons the norm with TX rentals, too? I'd like to do some research from here & it will help me to adjust rents based on additional monthly charges.

Thank you very much & also thank you kindly for any places you could suggest where I could look for rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:49 PM

Default 1 example

Deer Park? Seems to have low crime, if you scroll down to the crime map. 22-mi from Houston, which is reasonable to me. Keep in mind, I've lived in the largest cities in the states... 3-4 hr daily commutes were the norm in NYC/Boston. If I narrowed that to 2-hrs/day, that would be agreeable:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8-01195#photo7

Old 02-01-2018, 12:32 AM

Okay, I think I'm set on areas. One of the locals sent me some info before & I'm finally getting around to it... thank you, E. Some of the areas look nice & affordable, too, so I should be able to find an apt fairly quickly.

I'll still wait to hear about the extra rental costs in my OP, should anyone know.

In any event, should it help someone else:

Safest Houston 'hoods:
https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...on-metro-area/

Safest Houston suburbs:
https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...on-metro-area/

Lastly, should anyone have preferences, I'd be glad to hear it. I'm single (meaning, a family oriented area isn't necessary, but I'm not opposed to it), interested in walking/hiking & would definitely attend ballet/theatre/symphony/museums. A walkable area is nice, but I'm unsure if that's found in Houston, given it's overall size.

Thank you all kindly.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:51 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
It's a while since I lived in an apartment but most of the extra cost don't apply here. You need to pay for an application, rental insurance is optional, but cost around $15/month. I think you need to pay security deposit (first/last month, or perhaps only first. It will cover cleaning of the apartment and any damage when you move out. Unused deposit will get paid back. )
You are responsible for utilities , but some places have all bills included. Plus few bucks for mailbox key deposit. Most apartments have laundromat, some have gym and clubhouse. Most have swimming pool. Some are pet friendly and some have size/weight restriction. Extra deposit for pets is required. I think water and garbage is included in rent. Someone please chime in?
Most places have parking spot, or carport. Some have garage.
Please check this:
https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...n-rent-trends/
https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...ing-in-houston
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/houston
Good website to check for apartments is www.har.com

You most likely will have to pay one-time deposit for all utilities.
Shop around to compare rates:
https://www.chooseenergy.com/texas/

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: Adding links

Old 02-01-2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's a while since I lived in an apartment but most of the extra cost don't apply here.
I hope to say the same someday soon!

You answered what I mainly what I wanted to know, so thank you again, El. You're a doll.

Yes, the app & credit report are generally the same in any state (I had to pay those, too & they were outstandingly high in FL... triple what I've ever paid before), but was sideswipped by all the extra mandatory nonsense I'd never heard of before... all coming to $400/mo extra. Added to that the electric at 3-4 times what I normally pay & higher food prices... who'd have thought food is more expensive in FL than San Diego? Honestly, with the links you just provided, it looks like it's the same or cheaper for me to return to SoCal.

Well, whatever I decide, I'm definitely headed west & have to travel through Houston, so the next step is to check it all out in person. My car's packed & I've got 2-wks to clean my apt & soul search, so I do appreciate all the help you've given me off & online.

Have a great weekend!
Fun, fun, fun!

Old 02-01-2018, 08:08 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I am not sure if life is cheaper in SoCal than in Texas or particularly in Houston. Is it?
What about availability of jobs, housing and taxes?

Old 02-01-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not sure if life is cheaper in SoCal than in Texas or particularly in Houston. Is it?
What about availability of jobs, housing and taxes?
Good points. I don't know as I've never lived in TX... I can only go by what I read. As far as taxes, I've never owned a home, so don't pay property taxes & in states I've lived where there are no state income taxes, other taxes are high, like sales tax in WA... meaning, it all balances out.

Some of the links you posted showed rents comparable to SDiego rents, but with bills I don't have to pay in SD, like $100 more for electric. Of course, gas for the car is far less in TX. For sure, life in FL has been far more expensive than CA, which shocked me... I pay 1/3 more here.

My brain hurts. I have to mull it over for awhile. Regardless... I'll be in Houston after Valentine's Day, so I'l check it out. Thank you for your reply... I welcome the input. I think I'm just beginning a meltdown... oh, boy.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Mandatory renter's insurance
Mandatory surety bond... in the event I don't pay rent, it covers their court costs. If rent has been paid, as it has, it is not refundable.
Mandatory $100K liability policy... to cover them for any damage I leave.
Although I live in an apt complex & have never paid these with any rental in any state, I pay water, trash, sewer, which isn't cheap.
In addition to the above dumpster p/u, I also pay $30/mo for mandatory valet trash collection from my front door, 5-days/wk.
That seems pretty standard in more upscale apartments and even in some low end ones.

my renter's insurance includes $100k liability insurance. You can use any insurer that meets the guidelines but the apartments typically have a preferred one that is pre-approved, otherwise you have to provide copy of policy.

Most apartments have offered either pay one month refundable deposit (at $1000/mo that's a bit of change) or a non-refundable bond which is usually under $200 and is basically an insurance policy. The bond will pay the apartments and then seek reimbursement from you.

Water/trash/pest is typically $20-30 per month.

Valet trash is typically $25-30, mine is $25. I hate this one because of all the rules and restrictions and it's easier to just carry it to the dumpster.

My electric for 1200sqft 2BR is around $100/mo. A little more in summer, less in winter.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That seems pretty standard in more upscale apartments and even in some low end ones.
Hi Ocean... thank you for your reply. Note: Forgive the curtness of my responses... while working & sitting on the floor, I accidentally deleted this twice before this reply & I'm annoyed with re-typing, not you.

It's never been standard for me & I've lived only in luxury apts in 10 states & never had to pay any of those fees, except in FL.

Quote:
my renter's insurance includes $100k liability insurance. You can use any insurer that meets the guidelines but the apartments typically have a preferred one that is pre-approved, otherwise you have to provide copy of policy.
Yes, I got mine through a pre-approved agent, as well, as it was easier. Although, ordinarily, I never get renter's ins. Here it's mandatory, as is the liability. The only other state I've lived in w/mandatory renter's ins was CO on 1 of the 2 apts I lived in, so I guess it's not always the norm there either.

Quote:
Most apartments have offered either pay one month refundable deposit (at $1000/mo that's a bit of change) or a non-refundable bond which is usually under $200 and is basically an insurance policy. The bond will pay the apartments and then seek reimbursement from you.
With good credit, I didn't pay a security deposit. That's unusual, but what it was here. $200 NR surety bond is for court costs should they need to sue me... not to pay for damage to the apt. That's the liability ins. Further, the liability ins doesn't cover mold (unsure if that's a FL thing), so I had to pay for some additional mold policy... I don't recall now.

Quote:
Water/trash/pest is typically $20-30 per month.
Mine is $100/mo for water/trash/sewer. Stunning, as I don't use the w/d or d/w more than twice/wk & don't take 20-min showers. Pest is free maintenance here.

Quote:
Valet trash is typically $25-30, mine is $25. I hate this one because of all the rules and restrictions and it's easier to just carry it to the dumpster.

My electric for 1200sqft 2BR is around $100/mo. A little more in summer, less in winter.
Yes, the valet trash burns my eyes more than anything. The dumpster is 20 steps from my door, but I have to pay $30 for door p/u, 5-days/wk... basically I feel I'm paying twice for trash.

My electric is $100-120/mo for a 1b, 900sf. I've never paid more than $30 in every other apt. Just got my bill this mo... it's $130, which is very strange as I use my a/c 50% less in winter.

You didn't say which state you're in... is it TX & are you a renter & are you saying all the above will be the norm in TX, as well? I hope not... that would be distressing.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:44 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Just a side bar....renter's insurance is a good idea to have in the event of a fire/break-in. It's usually pretty cheap, as I recall. Like El Nina, it's been entirely too long since I've rented an apartment to be of much further help for you, although I've never heard of those other fees you speak of on any apartment in Texas.

Texas sales tax is 8.25%, except for groceries - they are NOT taxed. And with the budget crunch they're facing, CA will soon be looking for any new revenue stream they can possibly create.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston