Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:10 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,022 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about Memorial High. I do know about Seven Lakes.

Seven Lakes was built in the last ten years. Newer classrooms, building, no black mold or asbestos problems like older schools. It wasn't flooded in Harvey. I do know Katy ISD has a high reputation. Why not visit the campus and see if you can get a tour?

There are apartments and other options around Seven Lakes. They're scattered along 1093 which also has a newer expansion on it - Toll - But for one that talked about a more difficult commute - No. This area has the Westpark Tollway which takes you right into downtown. Grand Parkway (SH99) going north and south. Plenty of shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 03:10 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frumble View Post
How much does the quality of education vary across Houston schools?

Obviously there is a lot of variation in test scores, percent of kids who graduate, percent of kids who get accepted to top tier universtities, etc. But how much of that variation is attributable to differences in the quality of education as opposed to other factors (e.g., kids at the top rated schools are more likely to have parents who have more resources and/or place more emphasis on education)?

To put it another way, how much of the success of the typical Memorial student can be attributed to attending Memorial as opposed to other factors? And how different would the outcomes be if you randomly selected a bunch of kids who were about to start at Memorial and sent them to a public HS in HISD?

I don't have a strong opinion either way, and am curious to know what others think.
Seeing as how they all teach to STAR tests, the actual variation is probably less than we would think. Obviously the main difference is the parenting and home life.

That said, I imagine there are probably more disruptions in the worst schools because more kids don't value their education, and fewer disruptions in the good schools. Perhaps the major differences between the schools themselves are how much time teachers can teach versus dealing with disciplinary issues.

Just a guess on my part though. Maybe school districts do put better teachers at higher socioeconomic schools.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:38 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,808 times
As a parent of 3 Seven Lakes HS students, I say RELAX. Seriously. Both schools have great reputations. But there’s no secret education they’re giving out either. If your kid is driven and loves to be challenged by academically rigorous courses, they’ll have that option at either school.

Both schools enjoy their reputation based on the social economic makeup of the families that live in their zone.

SLHS is great, but don’t move out to Katy if you were hoping to stay in Memorial. As great as it is, your child will have the same opportunities at both schools. Really.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:12 PM

388 posts, read 686,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96tahoe View Post
With a budget like that, why have the dileama of choosing between two above average public schools? Live where you want and have them go to a prestigious private school like Kinkaid, St Thomas or Houston Christian High School.
This! 100%. Who cares about public schools? Find your desired home and location and look into a private school. My pick would be Kinkaid. It is right near Memorial but if you chose to live in Katy (WHY?) you could still take them to school in the morning.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:25 PM

24 posts, read 26,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96tahoe View Post
With a budget like that, why have the dileama of choosing between two above average public schools? Live where you want and have them go to a prestigious private school like Kinkaid, St Thomas or Houston Christian High School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
This! 100%. Who cares about public schools? Find your desired home and location and look into a private school. My pick would be Kinkaid. It is right near Memorial but if you chose to live in Katy (WHY?) you could still take them to school in the morning.
Is it that easy? From other threads on this board I thought it was extremely difficult to get into Kincaid, especially if a non-legacy who is trying for entry after their kids have already started school.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:40 PM

509 posts, read 735,216 times
[SIZE=5]frumble[/SIZE] - you are correct - it's not that easy. Getting into Kinkaid is quite difficult, especially if its not a natural entry point, like 9th grade. However if you want a Christian school, HCHS would likely have more open spots, as they appear to still be in growth mode. Their facilities are fantastic as well. The average SAT scores are not at the same level as Kinkaid, but motivated kids can take advance classes and get a rigorous education there if they want one.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:02 PM

388 posts, read 686,600 times
Have you called Kinkaid?

I was friends with people that went to Kinkaid and I haven’t heard of this issue, but maybe there is some kind of unknown rule or procedure. There’s also Episocopal high school which is amazing. St. Thomas/St. Agnes. Do your research, go on tours. For the record, I am
still in touch with folks that graduated from Episcopal and every single one is successful, well-rounded and kind and very much involved in their communities. I might just be lucky but it’s the truth.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:02 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston parent View Post
[SIZE=5]frumble[/SIZE] - you are correct - it's not that easy. Getting into Kinkaid is quite difficult, especially if its not a natural entry point, like 9th grade. However if you want a Christian school, HCHS would likely have more open spots, as they appear to still be in growth mode. Their facilities are fantastic as well. The average SAT scores are not at the same level as Kinkaid, but motivated kids can take advance classes and get a rigorous education there if they want one.
You may also want to check out Second Baptist School. It is very well established.
https://www.secondbaptistschool.org/page

Old 02-06-2018, 06:24 PM

24 posts, read 26,859 times
Thanks for the information.

We would prefer a non-religious school. Are there any non-religious private schools in the area other than Kinkaid, St. John's, the Village School, and Awty (other than Montessori and military schools)?

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:15 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
School of the Woods and Rainard are non-religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston