Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,521 times

Advertisements

My spouse is considering transferring to Houston for her job (we could go about anywhere, but Houston's made it to the top of the contendor list from the San Francisco area). We have two kids 7 and 10 and would like to put them in good schools.

My problem is my job - mainly, I don't have any idea where to start looking. I currently work for a bank and would like to continue with this. Does anyone know who the major banks are in the Houston area that I should check out? It would help if you could tell me where they are in relation to the good houses.

Also, from reading through a few past threads, there seems to be some contention about at what price point one can find a good neighborhood with a quality school district. Up here, a 1144 sq ft 3 br house is about $600k to 900k range. We live in a condo and need more space, but cannot afford to upgrade to a house where we currently live... From online searches, there seem to be a TON of well-maintained homes in the $150-$190k range in Houston that are nearly three times as big as our current home. That seems appealing, as we could probably afford for her to have our next child. Can we honestly get a good neighborhood and schools for that price? If not, what should we expect to pay for a 1700+ sq ft 3-4 br house? Any specific developments or suburbs?

From doing online research about the Houston schools, some things I think will be important to us are low free-lunch rate, high graduation rate and good test scores. I hope that doesn't come across as elitist - we just want as much status quo as possible for our 2rd grader and 4th grader.

Sorry this is so long! Any help you could provide is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,490,620 times
Yes you can find all that, mostly about 30 miles from the city core. That can translate if a hefty commute should you choose to work in the city. But being in banking I think you could probably work near the burb you live in.

In Houston and close to downtown, for really good public schools and saftey, you pay through the nose just like San Fran, but not quite as steep.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,190 times
Klein ISD, or Tomball ISD or Cy-fair ISD would be fine for you. Great suburbs, great schools and a whole lotta banks! Library , parks, churches, movie theatres, skating rinks, restaraunts, and all kinds of kid stuff to do out here.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:33 PM

799 posts, read 3,693,190 times
As for banks, Wells Fargo, Chase and Bank of America are some big ones out here.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:54 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
You can find a home in your range all over the area. Houston is very spread out - might be good to figure out where your work location will be and find a good burb with the shortest commute. There are nice areas with good school districts on all sides of town - you just have to know where to look. WHere is your work location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: